Best overall powders for 25 06

Shedhunt, go on a hunt for the 117g Sierra btsp, this bullet is easy to tune and not jump sensitive as some vld options. Many powders will work with this weight.
The nosler ballistic tip has similar virtues as well, they make a 115 in .257.

117 Sierra like you say.

120 Speer btsp (they are cheap and have no business being as easily accurate as they are in my experience - a good bit thinner jacket than the Nosler b tip or the Sierra tho, which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on shot placement and impact velocity)

Tag. Watching this as I am getting ready to start on my cousin's 25-06. He's wanting to use a 100 grain cup and core. Any suggestions for powder on that?
Which 100gr c&c? Are you choosing or your cuz?

They're not all created equal, and with the velocity you can get up to, you may actually be better off with a mild load that bug holes.

Which 100gr c&c? Are you choosing or your cuz?

They're not all created equal, and with the velocity you can get up to, you may actually be better off with a mild load that bug holes.

Tag. Watching this as I am getting ready to start on my cousin's 25-06. He's wanting to use a 100 grain cup and core. Any suggestions for powder on that?
100 grain hornady interlock flat base is my vote. Weatherby loads it as a standard loading in .257 bee. It does come apart BUT not before sufficient penetration on deer size game. No 100 grain cup and core quarter bore is a particularly good choice for elk and moose and stuff like that, not that it can't be done but there are much better tools for the job.

But for deer, hogs, antelope, and such I say 100 grain hornady interlock.

The nosler ballistic tip has similar virtues as well, they make a 115 in .257.

117 Sierra like you say.

120 Speer btsp (they are cheap and have no business being as easily accurate as they are in my experience - a good bit thinner jacket than the Nosler b tip or the Sierra tho, which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on shot placement and impact velocity)
The gentleman I purchased the rifle from had hand loaded 115 nosler ballistic tips that he gave me with the purchase. They shot amazing, but I don't have his load data as a friend of his did his loading. I did purchase some 115 ballistic tips to load, but trying to figure out powder to go with.
Thanks for the info.

Bingo!! I have used this load in several 25-06's over the years with excellent accuracy. Sadly, IMR4451 is currently not available as it bested H4350 in my rifles as far as accuracy and velocity.
You can run the 90g Hammers at 3700 but for the pill you said you want to use H4831 will be your go to

When using the unmodified case design of the .25-06, it's usually helpful to test cooler burning powders which burn completely in the length of your barrel, especially these days when the price of powder has risen so much.

I tested both the standard .25-06 and the Ackley version. The standard version liked:

VVN-555

H-100V Hybrid

Both are cooler burning and are consumed in a 24" barrel without wasting powder.

Enjoy the search!

:)

When using the unmodified case design of the .25-06, it's usually helpful to test cooler burning powders which burn completely in the length of your barrel, especially these days when the price of powder has risen so much.

I tested both the standard .25-06 and the Ackley version. The standard version liked:

VVN-555

H-100V Hybrid

Both are cooler burning and are consumed in a 24" barrel without wasting powder.

Enjoy the search!

:)
You know I've seen that hybrid 100 V around but never tried it. You say it's cooler burning? And just to be clear, is it right that burn temperature and burn rate have nothing to do with each other?

Recent Posts