Best of the West. Your longrange authority. Seriously?? (Rant)

...have you noticed when you come HERE that it takes 3 mins for all the ADS TO LOAD FIRST before you get to see the text you really wanna read? This place is the pits for ads, huntingnet is same way. Well same thing with BOTW, they live off their ad money as all tv folks do.

I think BOTW does a fair job of presenting long range hunting to tv viewers and they even recognize, unlike some here, that not everyone can afford a $4000.000 custom built LRH rifle. I dont know whether their system works for everyone, but I will say this, they kill a lot more game with their 7mm than the rest of us here do with our whatevers. And sure I know they dont present every little micromanaged detail and chart and number and excel electronic computerized spread sheet, but thats not the intent of the show. It's BOTW not 'Precision Shooting Magazine'. I think it's just a generally well rounded show about what we here all like, Long Range Hunting. And I see some thing I wonder about and some I dont agree with, but would you rather be watching 'the view' ? My LRH rifle I sold to make a mortgage payment was 7mm Mod 70, my next one will be too if I get work.

I've been wanting to watch this show, but am currently in SE Europe. What time (and time zone) , days and networks does this show air? Hopefully I can catch it through my VPN sometime.

I'd be stoked to see the 7mm at work on elk (i'm a BIG fan of the little rascal when appropriately utilized that is), but also see the forest for the trees (been shooting for a loonnng time). If they were serious about LR hunting ethics i'd hope they would consider appropriate cartridges for the game in the sights at the distances they're marketing. I'm ok with the 7RM to maybe 600yds for elk, but beyond that? Yea, lets just get into .338 and quit horse-hockeying around.

I also appreciate the need to utterly know your gear, which as i understand, the BOTW folks clearly do. Maybe thats the best thing they teach - aside from BRM.

Also, I agree that this site takes for freakin' ever to load with all the ads - one of the reasons i don't post/participate here as much. Seriously how much ad revenue is needed - someone shopping for a Bentley? :) Unfortunately, TBOTW and others trying to milk their "cash cows" haven't learned a reasonable balance but like crack addicts we all just keep coming back - if for no other reason than for the company.

It has to be one of the dumbest hunting shows I have ever seen. They are very inaccurate with info. The 7mm rem mag doesn't even come close to the performance of the 30-378 or 300 RUM.In fact I don't even consider the 7mag top 10 for long range, heck not even top 20. The 300's and 338's walk all over it. And huskemaw?? Really??:rolleyes:

The ads on this site really slow down my available access but it is a small price to pay for what I have learned on this website. I do click on them now and then so I can see thier purpose but it takes a really long time each time I click a link. The ad for Joe Miller as an AK senator? Seeing that on this website sucked. He would not be good for AK. He would just be a republican voting puppet in D.C. AK sportsman, gun advocates, pilots etc. know that Murkowski is the right person for AK.

I think my rant interrupted another rant.......carry on.

Highridge, why don't you tell us what you really think. I agree it can't compete as a long range large big game hunting rifle and why I do not use my 7mm's as such. I appreciate BOTW promoting the sport as I do this site and all who do including the fine gunsmith sponsors we have here. My opinion of the show and a dollar won't even buy a cup of coffee any more. I hope all that promote hunting and shooting continue to get sponsors to stay alive through this week economy. I will support all of them although I don't agree with everything.

An old fart chiming in:rolleyes:

Consider BOTW's market. They have found and are apparently growing in their niche. Not bad business, I'd say.

Consider the market of those @ LRH.com. Quite a varied level of interest. Most of "members" here would enjoy BOTW. I watch all of them and mostly catch the obviously wrong things to do. I saw trailer for a show where a shooter had the barrel on the pedestal rest! I notice things like the lady bug traveling up the zipper of Shawn's gun case on his first video.:rolleyes:

I went into Salt Lake City's premier gun/sporting store the other day. Shortly before deer season opening. The place was packed. It about made want to puke to hear the conversations between the customers and the sales people.

It irked me so bad that I asked for some 140 grain VLDs, 350 gr SMKs, Federal 215 primers, and a keg of US-869. Talk about the 'deer in the head lights' look.:rolleyes:

You wanna watch some real dufus stuff, watch ol' Buck McN.:D

There's room for all of us except when the hills get too crowded then we just go deeper into the hills.

Don't beat up on the BOTW because you use a different cartridge, scope, bullet, or drop compensating system that you feel is superior. Their system works pretty darn well, there is more than one way to skin a cat, and each has its pros and cons.

Good grief, we are long range hunting enthusiasts and we have one decent show promoting our interest. Seems like every episode I have seen they are constantly harping on preparation and training before attempting long range shots on game and to do otherwise would be unethical.

I'm never surprised to hear someone bag on long range hunting or BOTW on other hunting forums, but this is LONG RANGE HUNTING.COM for christ sake.

Don't beat up on the BOTW because you use a different cartridge, scope, bullet, or drop compensating system that you feel is superior. Their system works pretty darn well, there is more than one way to skin a cat, and each has its pros and cons.

Good grief, we are long range hunting enthusiasts and we have one decent show promoting our interest. Seems like every episode I have seen they are constantly harping on preparation and training before attempting long range shots on game and to do otherwise would be unethical.

I'm never surprised to hear someone bag on long range hunting or BOTW on other hunting forums, but this is LONG RANGE HUNTING.COM for christ sake.

Thats the whole problem. They arent promoting our sport. They are promoting 7mm gunwerks rifles and husemaw scope and they're doing it using inaccurate and/or twisted data.

I beat them up not because they 'dont do it my way'. I do it because they give flat out wrong and inaccurate info period AND tell us that we are all doing it wrong and therefore must run out and buy a huskemaw scope and a gunworks 7mm. Pitch your product is fine with me just do it using accurate information.

I also never said that their system doesnt work, I just pointed out that it has flaws. They preach it to be 'bullet proof' and that ours is useless and I am here saying that it isnt bullet proof and ours is usefull. Then again, I dont believe any system is bullet proof, including mine.

Sorry if I offended you.

M

Last edited:
I also watch the BOTW when it's on. I think what they are attempting to do with their cartridge performance comparison is to show viewers the potential for a 7mm with top of the line high B/C bullets versus your average factory ammo in say a 300 RUM loaded with some low B/C CoreLokt or Partition bullets thus promoting one of their major sponsors, Berger Bullets. Now, I run 210VLD's at 3,190fps out of my 300RUM and the ballistics are far superior to the 7mm running 168VLD's. They do tend to discount other long range shooting equipment and methods in order to lure in the suckers. I use a 10x Shepherd scope, I can do with it what any other precision "dial it in" scope does. I use drop charts that go along with my reticle and I take in to account shooting angle, altitude, temp. ect. I have used this set up successfully on milk jugs to 1,600 yards. I shoot very often. My point is that we must all know our equipment very well and practice often, I won't sit here and say one set up works better than all else. I have heard many people knock the Shepherd scopes as well, 99% of the time people haven't taken the time to learn how to use them correctly and actually go out and put bullets on paper at long range before hunting season. I don't quite understand why they promote the Huskemaw set up being so much quicker than other setups. If I'm going to lay down and take a 1000 yard shot at an elk in the wind, I'm NOT going to get in a hurry. I will take the time to make sure my calculations and corrections in the scope are as close as I can get them, make sure the shooting position is as good as I can get it and do the best job I can at estimating what the wind is doing. Only then will I take the shot. Too much hype of their equipment-yes, still enjoy the show though.

Oh, almost forgot. How about Huskemaw's single revolution 20MOA elevation turret? For guns like mine or some of the .338's these scopes would severely limit your weapon's range and potential.

if I am in a hurry I will resort to using a moa reticule otherwise I will dial everything. that system would be great for a beginningbeginning long range shooter with money to burn. otherwise there are better options.

I also enjoy BOTW and their forum and it was their forum that led my to this forum. I've never seen them attacked this site or the members,so why jump their case. They did get off their *** and put together the only Long Range Hunting show and I applaud them for the effort and they too have to have sponsors and sell rifles to pay the bills.Cameras and editing equipment cost big bucks also! I wanted to start a show on the same format for the southeast but the economy canned that idea for the time being. Maybe some of you guys with the big bucks can start a competing show and sell your rifles. Just my .02 cents.

I have enjoyd watching botw and other shows but would like to give my opinion. i have been on this site for almost 2 years studied researchecd and have ask many questions and made frineds. I finally acquired my first edge from rbros rifles this spring along with a nfs scope. i am not rich, hell im a landscaper thats digs ditchs for a living. but until i joined this forum i never heard of a edge , husk, nfx scope. Until i received my edge i never shot past 500 yards and im 50 years old. I met a new friend on this site about 45 minutes away and was invited to shoot with him, his farm we shoot jugs from 1k to 1300 yards and pretty well do it every weekend. Enough of that, with actual shooting and practicing for my trip to co. in 2 weeks i think im prepared. i found out a new area my outfitter acquired might recquire a 30 -35 degree angle shot. with my edge checking my pda that could be a difference of 30" resulting in a miss and not knowing what the hell happened. Now if i never got involved on this site and watched botw, and by not knowing any better, There would of been a good chance i would of bought a husk. and thought i could zero in at home went to co. 7k' and shot at any angle 1k yards with no problem. As a newbie i could of got on that band wagon and never thought any better and not at all knocking husk. scopes.
mike

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.