best of the west show

ann brezinski

saw the best of the west the other night.they showed the people that make up their team.saw the gunsmith and noticed that they use a regular lathe and did not look like it was cnc.on gunwerks they sow all kinds of machines.
any thoughts on this.?
gary b

If your question is whether the difference in machinery will effect the performance of the end product, in my experience the answer would be no. In the end it's the human input, operating skill and knowledge that makes the majority of the diffetence when it comes to rifle building.

If your question is whether the difference in machinery will effect the performance of the end product, in my experience the answer would be no. In the end it's the human input, operating skill and knowledge that makes the majority of the diffetence when it comes to rifle building.

+1 I believe any good tight equipment is capable of competition grade results. Discipline is all important. Doesn't matter how expensive your equipment is if you don't have the discipline to go for that last .0005 during setup or take those small steps during chamber reaming.

Every good machine shop has a manual lathe and mill. The one you was may be used to finish parts, fix parts, or to adjust perfect fit that sometimes is better with a human eye thank with software.
snt

There are advantages to both systems (Hand or CNC)

The advantage to building a rifle with a Lathe Is mostly in the hands of the Smith. If he has the skills and a good Lathe, he should be able to do a great job because he can adjust to small differences in parts to get the best fit.

CNC machines are very predictable if they are Programed correctly and accurately (Trash in Trash out). The best example that is not the CNC process fault is because factory rifle are all CNC machined and we all know how inconsistent they are from rifle to rifle. The problem is normally, Programming, tooling (Not changed often and only when the work goes out of specification),Quality control and acceptance, The advantage goes to the CNC process if everything is done right when multiple parts are required and consistency is needed.

A good craftsman can match or exceed the quality of CNC when one item is need. If you couple a craftsman and a CNC process the combination it hard to beat.

There are a lot of variables and both systems have there strong points and week points.

I have seen some amazing accuracy come from a master Gun smith and a old Lathe and I have also seen some lousy Quality and accuracy come from a so so gunsmith and a great lathe.

The machine does not make the man do great work, The man makes the machine do good work.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

I met with the BOTW crew at a show in Denver a couple years ago. At that time they told me Cooper was supplying rifles and they were going through and truing everything up.
They had a stock there that I really liked, but they wouldn't sell me one. I really liked their rifles after handling them.

I always thought no matter what kind epuipment you had to have a good smith to use it.the first gun shop I ever worked at was run by an old man with machines older than him,but he turn out some of the finest guns I have ever seen.The head of Dupont at the time use to come in the have his guns made there.I was afraid to walk past him when he was working because I just knew at any time parts were going to start flying.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.