Best magnum contour for hunting/comp?

Freshta

Can someone tell me a good barrel contour for a magnum hunting rifle to carry around all day up in the mountains/foothills but also hefty enough to spend some time behind at the range without worrying about the barrel getting too hot after several shots? I'm wanting to buy a Tikka in 7mm mag and then do some customizing to it.

Thanks,

Tony

Can someone tell me a good barrel contour for a magnum hunting rifle to carry around all day up in the mountains/foothills but also hefty enough to spend some time behind at the range without worrying about the barrel getting too hot after several shots? I'm wanting to buy a Tikka in 7mm mag and then do some customizing to it.

Thanks,

Tony

What is your target rifle weight and barrel length?

Probably around a 26" barrel plus a Muscle Brake on the end. Probably going into either a Manners MCS-T4 or a Grodas Berserk stock. Both weigh in around 3 lbs. My target weight I guess would be arund 11 lbs with scope. RBros has one, but I can't tell what contour the barrel is.

Thanks

Tony

Well,Tony, there will be a lot of us who differ in our opinions regarding your question but I'll begin by saying forget about trying to use the same rifle for hunting and competition. Unless, of course, the competition's course of fire is designed for hunting rifles and everyone is using comparable set-ups.
Depending on how it's equipped, a Tikka 7mm Mag will weight in a about 6 - 9 pounds. A competitive rifle for competition shooting will typically be much heavier than that.
Your stock choices leave me with the impression that you're focused on tactical competition. With the Manners MCS-T4 you're looking at four pounds, a sporter barrel will run around 3 1/2 pounds, so your staring point is just under 8 pounds. The Grodas Berserk stock, depending on your choice of model, could be slightly lighter in weight than the Manners. A good scope could add another two pounds to the rifle and, in hunting, a loaded magazine adds even more weight.
My hunting rifle, fully equipped, is about 8-9 pounds. My competition rifles weigh between 16 - 18 pounds. But I have to carry the hunting rifle for long distances for long periods of time so I want it to be as light as possible. By contrast, once I've carried my competition rifle through the course of fire out to 1K I'm through for the day. In F Class, I only have to carry the rifle from the truck to the firing line.

Well,Tony, there will be a lot of us who differ in our opinions regarding your question

+1!

1116141048_zps31535348.jpg

My .270 AI as seen hunt ready is ~12 lbs; components are: barrel is 30" Lilja #6 contour (.750" at the muzzle) + JP Enterprise Beenie Cooley MB, Savage 110 LA, Burris Veracity 4-20x50, 20 MOA EGW rail, Burris signature rings, Horus Vision HSLI, B&C duramaxx, 13-27" Harris bipod, sling (can't remember brand). As you can see, I don't have problem lugging it atop the Montana wilderness. :):Dgun)

About a #5 contour barrel will be right, their not to heavy not to light but any magnum your really not going to build a heavy enough one to run it fast on the range and not pay a price.

Probably around a 26" barrel plus a Muscle Brake on the end. Probably going into either a Manners MCS-T4 or a Grodas Berserk stock. Both weigh in around 3 lbs. My target weight I guess would be arund 11 lbs with scope. RBros has one, but I can't tell what contour the barrel is.

Thanks

Tony
Something like a Sendero contour then will probably work for you.

Different MFG's use different definitions but I like what is essentially a light sendero with it's proportions but finishing out at .75" at the muzzle instead of the .830.

I have one that's done like those which finishes at .70" which is about as light as I want to go.

Weight really helps with steadiness and steadiness is essential to accuracy.

+1!

1116141048_zps31535348.jpg

My .270 AI as seen hunt ready is ~12 lbs; components are: barrel is 30" Lilja #6 contour (.750" at the muzzle) + JP Enterprise Beenie Cooley MB, Savage 110 LA, Burris Veracity 4-20x50, 20 MOA EGW rail, Burris signature rings, Horus Vision HSLI, B&C duramaxx, 13-27" Harris bipod, sling (can't remember brand). As you can see, I don't have problem lugging it atop the Montana wilderness. :):Dgun)

Looks to me like you still have a ways to go to get to the top with that extra 12 lbs.:D:rolleyes:

Steve

In all honesty the way your rifle is set up is pretty much the same way I set mine up, minus the bipod. Mine comes in roughly 11lbs.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.