recoil pad for offhand magnum hunting

Any of the new synthetic/sorbathane recoil pads have very good recoil absorption. Midway and Brownells will have various models for you to look at.

Magnums are going to kick and usually kick hard. Stock shape has as much to do with recoil management as the pad. Get a stock that fits for both length and drop/eye alignment. Don't be concerned if it is Monte Carlo, straight or what have you. It only has to fit you.

If you find a Monte Carlo style stock fits you the best, ensure the cheek piece slopes forward. The Lazz stock has an exaggerated slope and illustrates what I mean. This way the stock is not slapping you in the face as it travels back and up.

The worse stock designs are on your basic/classic shotgun or WW1 rifle with the stocks climbing from heel to action. Ouch!!!

All stocks will travel back and up during recoil when shooting offhand. Having a wide pad will also spread the recoil over a larger area. Weight and muzzle brakes are the only other choices for recoil control.

You could always shoot a 'lesser' cartridge and forget about the above.

Jerry

Steve, I just finished putting a Pach. triple mag. recoil pad on my 300 win mag about a month ago. What a world of difference. Before the change, 20-25 rounds were definitly getting my attention (shooting in jeans & T-shirt) but since then it seems like 20-25 is just getting warmed up. I definitly don't regret getting one.
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.