Best Budget Hunting Scope??

Are you thinking like Amazon off brand cheap? Hope not. I'm gonna pretend you said Under 300 because I feel chatty. It's also pretty hard to look through scopes right now I'm guessing with the import situation. I know you're already into Leupold, but their lower tiers they've added are still good. I had a Leupold VX 3-9 freedom that was really, really great for 230 or so dollars. Didn't dial worth a squirt but it was bright, crisp, and extremely light. If you're shooting a fast bullet at no more than 300y and not doing a lot of fine target shooting that's a slam dunk. Their reticles don't float my canoe but they're worth looking at even though they are cheaper than you're probably used to.

I've looked through some of the cheap burris jobbies and really liked those a lot, I'd probably get one if I needed a 2-300 dollar scope again. Burris has my favorite reticles of all time and a bunch of them are less than 250 right now on Optics Planet. I have a mid-tier burris right now and their ballistics/reticle calibration tool is really fun to play with if you're shooting out there.

Nikon combo takeoffs that turn up used can be really nice and that's the only thing I'd buy near the double digits. Their support is a little more judgemental and they're definitely stiff-arming the shooting market but their glass is NICE. Everyone who looks through my binos gets real quiet about how much they spent on worse optics.

I haven't seen a vortex under 800 dollars I agreed with, but that's a me problem. It's a good company and if you like them, buy them.

Graveline is right, Vortex loves tooting their warranty horn but Burris and Leupold are 100% just as good. Burris has duds due to retooling the entire company but they stand behind them.

KHM is also right, If you can afford to wait there are sales and closeouts that are hard to believe sometimes.

Like others said, you need to decide what your priorities are like max range, magnification, dialing, illumination, parallax, etc. Each companie offers different compromises or preferences to compete in each price range. When I was doing this a year ago I had been target shooting with a fixed 12x and found that FOV limiting at 400, so I thought I needed FFP so I could use a good reticle backed out to 10x. But it turns out finding an elk and going straight from 5-15 to use the holdovers is not hard at all so I really could have gone with second focal plane and got illumination or better glass. These are more choices than you'll have in the range you're at but you get the idea, take a little time to figure out what you need because you can ABSOLUTELY get a scope worth keeping for less than 300 bucks.

0. Leupold fan. Ok..

1.Less expensive? Than? ( I love the guessing game.) Since Leupold run from $200-3000 I'm not sure what less expensive is too you! To many guys on here less expensive is a kahles.
2. What do you consider a hunting scope since every has a different idea?
3. What's it going on and what are the plans?

4. Did you try to research yourself?

This is info needed. If not you waste everyone's time chasing your ideas. Help us help you.

Think about these question a little.
Who makes the best barrels?
Do carbon barrels really cool better?
Are McMillan stocks good?
Does fluting really work?

This site is flooded with crap post like these.
These questions can be great questions if ask with some extra info to eliminate the circle jerk.
Who anointed you Sherriff? Have the admins asked you for help castigating people for what you, subjectively, decide are crap posts? Since when is general socializing not allowed on social media and newbie questions worth belittling someone? Just pretend you heard the question in public and assume they weren't asking you.

Who anointed you Sherriff? Have the admins asked you for help castigating people for what you, subjectively, decide are crap posts? Since when is general socializing not allowed on social media and newbie questions worth belittling someone? Just pretend you heard the question in public and assume they weren't asking you.
It's appointed not anointed 🥱.
Guys like this ask for help then when questions are asked (see-post#3)"crickets "?

I was referring to my stated examples as crap. I removed crap just so you might understand. Thanks. Socializing is great but we will hit 200 posts before we ever even know what in the hell is "less". I'm all for it🤔

Yet in your novel you come to the same conclusion? You need more info.
You are dismissed

Last edited:
It's appointed not anointed 🥱

I was referring to my stated examples. I removed crap just so you might understand. Thanks. Socializing is great but we will hit 200 posts before we ever even know what in the hell is "less". I'm all for it🤔

Yet in your novel you come to the same conclusion? Right jack? You need more info.
You are dismissed
I knew you were going to pull that card, and I know what both words mean, which is why I chose that word so I could see just how severe your case of self-righteousness is. Anointed as in believing that you were chosen by someone, likely yourself, to have superior purpose and judgment. Except you don't. Your logic is circular, and you voluntarily spend time to complain about other people wasting your time when you chose to participate. You assume you're sharing ideas much more complex than you're actually communicating.

You misunderstood something else; I don't need more info. I shared everything I knew, then highlighted what he needs to decide as he looks at the options using my own experience as an example. It's not he same conclusion any more than amputation by chainsaw and scalpel are the same thing.

A novel to you is like 300 words now? No wonder you think you're important. Trying to insult someone for being helpful and literate is an interesting phenomenon.

I have always been a big Leupold fan, but I am wondering what less expensive hunting scopes other members are trying out?
Wow, I didn't realize this post would cause problems. Let me be more specific. I'm only hunting to fill the freezer. Not able to take $10k hunts. Want a good all-around rifle scope for a 308 rifle. Shots in low light, deep woods conditions. 75 yds out to 400 yds. Looking for rugged, able to take shock of riding ATV. And hold point of impact. Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 may be the best option. Thanks for everyone's input.

Wow, I didn't realize this post would cause problems. Let me be more specific. I'm only hunting to fill the freezer. Not able to take $10k hunts. Want a good all-around rifle scope for a 308 rifle. Shots in low light, deep woods conditions. 75 yds out to 400 yds. Looking for rugged, able to take shock of riding ATV. And hold point of impact. Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 may be the best option. Thanks for everyone's input.
I have three rifles with Burris Fullfield II. A friend gave me one for Christmas a few years back, and bought two more after I tried it. Can't have expensive scopes on every rifle, so if you can't find a Leupold, give Burris a try.

I have three rifles with Burris Fullfield II. A friend gave me one for Christmas a few years back, and bought two more after I tried it. Can't have expensive scopes on every rifle, so if you can't find a Leupold, give Burris a try.
You are correct. I may try to pick one up used, and see how I like it before season gets here. Thanks for the input.

You are correct. I may try to pick one up used, and see how I like it before season gets here. Thanks for the input.
I often find the used route to be a great road to value. I also often find the old adage, "Buy once cry once." To be incredibly true. I've been a leupold since forever, thanks grandpa, and the warranty is something to hold in high regard. What is the scope going on? I may have a scope that I'll send you for the shipping cost.

Go here...

Enter your numbers...
Take this 90's era cabela's straight six off my hands...
Zero to the far zero for your desired target size...
Spend your money on ammo and range time and I bet you're pleasantly surprised.

When the recession hits full struggle bus, scour the classifieds here and I bet you'll get a smoking deal on a **** fine scope for next year.

One condition on the free scope, next drink you buy at a bar or whatever, tip $20 on a single drink.

Nevermind, your history says you've already bought a few scopes I believe.

Last edited:
I often find the used route to be a great road to value. I also often find the old adage, "Buy once cry once." To be incredibly true. I've been a leupold since forever, thanks grandpa, and the warranty is something to hold in high regard. What is the scope going on? I may have a scope that I'll send you for the shipping cost.
I'm using a Rem 700 ADL in 308. It was a standard ADL, and I dropped it in a Hogue stock. Nothing fancy, but it hits where you aim, normally 😐
Go here...

Enter your numbers...
Take this 90's era cabela's straight six off my hands...
Zero to the far zero for your desired target size...
Spend your money on ammo and range time and I bet you're pleasantly surprised.

When the recession hits full struggle bus, scour the classifieds here and I bet you'll get a smoking deal on a **** fine scope for next year.

One condition on the free scope, next drink you buy at a bar or whatever, tip $20 on a single drink.

Nevermind, your history says you've already bought a few scopes I believe.
Yes, you are correct. Picked up 2 older Leupold scopes. Nice you would help a man out, but I wouldn't have taken it for free.

I'm using a Rem 700 ADL in 308. It was a standard ADL, and I dropped it in a Hogue stock. Nothing fancy, but it hits where you aim, normally 😐

Yes, you are correct. Picked up 2 older Leupold scopes. Nice you would help a man out, but I wouldn't have taken it for free.
Point is, run whatchya brung man, to heck with the "best", adapt and survive. I just plunked down $5k+ for a rifle that is only barely outshooting the .270 I inherited from my grandpa. Its all relative, and a deer won't know the difference, but I get the sense that you know that already.