Best Long Range Setup

I hunt exclusively in Alaska, at least for the past 40+ years, and I have the ability to take more than one fire arm with me when I go to my usual hunting camp. This year, between my youngest son and I we took 5 long guns and 3 pistols. I've carried 2 Remington 700 Classics to my camp for several years now, one is a 300 Weatherby and the other is a 375 H&H. My son took a 50 BMG and a pair of 45-70s.

Taking the 50 in with us piqued my interest in using long range shooters for hunting and eventually led me to this site. My primary hunting is for meat and moose fits the bill quite well but bears show up and we take bears whenever the opportunity presents itself. Our hunting camp is near tree line and most of our spotting is done at or above tree line and the open country above tree line lends itself to long range shooting, hence the 300 wtby. I've always liked to shoot grizzlies at less than 100 yds. with something big enough to do some damage if things get ugly, the reason for the 375.

The 50 BMG opened my eyes to the possibility of shooting with enough authority to take a bear at much greater distances than I had ever considered before but it certainly isn't what I would consider a packable rifle. After looking through some of the firearms on this site there are definitely some that would work for my hunting and I would consider packable in the 12-15 lb. range.

I have had to go into the alders after a wounded griz on more than one occasion (not ones that I shot) so firing at a bear at long range isn't something that I would think of doing unless I was thoroughly prepared to do so but it looks like I've got some research to do. I find threads like this one a good way to learn.

Gus

Last edited:
VERY intrigued with this 6.5 also, my latest toy is a 6.5-06 AI. I sure cant get 3400 out of it with 140s, around 3000 from what ive researched. This one is a standard hunter weight .

LTLR

I have always been an avid reader of your posts and you ve answered PM questions for me so its a challenge to offer any comments of value to you. What I would say is, just like golf, you choose the club / driver according to the distance and in addition what size hole you need to make. For elk I ve used a 30-378 for morning hikes at 10,000 feet since it is typically a longer hike and with more pursuit / stalk involved. In the evenings, a 375 snipetac for more long distance sit and wait ambushes. Both group at 6" at 1000 yds but the 375 single shot is heavier and either is carried in back pack or hip holster. My 375 AM with magazine is even heavier and is more suited to short hike to an ambush site but is very accurate to 1 mile. If I were to do it again (for elk) I would go with your suggestion of the 338-378 but customized as my 30-378 is, as my carry rifle for longer hikes. Also a 338-378works great for large African game including elands (300 a little small for them). Obviously in Africa, its not only the animal that you hunt but the one that hunts you and that s where a 375, whether H&H or bigger case, counts, in case you get charged. This year 3 PH s have been killed by elephants they were not hunting.

Just my 2 c worth. I always enjoy your valuable insight so I look forward to your summary of this discussion.

LTLR, very interesting thread. I've always been into the light fast shooters but I'm moving more to the 338 size range stuff based a lot on your writing, I know you get tired of repeating your self every other day but it's sinking in :D
While not having the big ballistic numbers that many have I really like my 270 WSM, it has been just a wonderful rifle the kind that you do your part things just happen. For a LR carry type gun I would like to not have something chambered in anything that would require a brake because I hate wearing ear muffs 24/7 and you need your ears on when hunting. I'm a wuss and a 300WSM is about as much as I can take for recoil in a 8-9lbs rifle, the 338-300WSM really interests me for a timber rifle build though.
I'm putting together a 338 Norma and a 338 RUM for me and my friend for a LR heavy carry elk rifles, we can handle carrying 13-14lbs rifles for quite a ways with not much problems with our backpacks set up. Really looking forward to these rifles. I shoot quite a bit and love to shoot, not much into the comp scene but when I have a rifle that I love to shoot and shoot good I tend to shoot it till it's worn out so I really want to make a move to longer life chamberings and the 338 RUM, 338 Norma, 338 Lapua and 338 Edge type chambering seems to get that done but you still have the horsepower.

LTLR, this is a great thread. I always leave the house with 2 rifles. I take my favorite 338 Edge for long range applications, it weighs in at 14.7 with a NF 5.5-22x56 and I take my 7 WSM, BAT action LH, McMillan "edge" fill stock (classic), our scope mounts and a NF 2.5-10 NXS w zero stops. THe 7 WSM weighs 7.9 lbs, mild recoil, very accurate, and while I don't consider this a long range rifle compared to my Edge it still has some legs. I hunt mostly long range, however ther is always the following up of the shot and days where fog or other weather conditions limit long range activity so I take to close rangfe hunting. I am also planning a high country pack trip where packing the edge is just not an option.

Thanks very much to everyone for all the great information. As you read through there it is full of tidbits that can help anyone. This is beginning to show what I hoped it would. Long range can be accomplished with many different calibers and chamberings. A guy can shoot what fits his style best. Whether it be light, heavy, standard case, magnum case with the important thing being he is good with his rifle. Naturally as the range gets extreme some start dropping off. But say out to 800 yards which is about it for many members just getting started and interested in long range there just isn't a whole lot of difference among the top chamberings in all the calibers.

I was glad to see the 375's brought in the discussion. With the new high BC bullets they are exceptional at extreme long range. My standard 378 wby I have had for years is now a legitimate long range rifle with bullets up to .9 bc at near 3000 fps.

Shawn Carlock and a couple others through there showed excellent lightweight rigs that work extremely well at long range which helps many people looking for long range backpack rifles. By the way, Thanks Shawn for bringing in your level of expertise here. We would like to hear more if you have time. Listing your two rifles is an excellent point. You just need two rifles. Shawn has a long range rig that will basically kill anything you see. I like those, if you can see it you can kill it. Then a light rig for carrying where the big one can't go or many times if weather is in and you just can't see forever. The light one is still a very long range capable round.

Again thanks to all and we would like to hear more.

Fast 6.5

I am mostly a varmint hunter and shoot quite a few small calibers. I have four rigs I use for long range hunting/shooting.

If much hiking or a lot of walking is involved:

Interarms Mark X 25.06 AI. Really nice maple stock that has been bedded. Home trigger job on factory trigger. Douglas barrel 1-9 twist. Sightron 4.5-14 scope. This is my latest rifle so load work is still underway. I have been very happy with the accuracy of the 115 grain ballistic tip but have not clocked any loads yet. Should be a good deer/antelope rifle out to 700 yards and weighs 10.25lbs.

Colt Light Rifle in 7mm Remington Magnum. Stock is bedded, plastic trigger guard, firing pin and firing pin spring all replaced with Ultra Light Arms parts. Lapped Talley LW rings and Nikon Monarch scope. Rifle is very accurate with several handloads and I am comfortable with shots out to 700 yards. Rifle weighs just 7.25lbs with sling and ammo.

Moderate walks on smaller game:

Ruger VT 243. Stock is bedded and barrel has new crown. Two stage trigger adjusted very light. Shoots the 105 Amax into tiny groups at 3200 FPS with a heavy dose of RL22. Good to 1000 yards on varmints and smaller deer to perhaps 800. Rifle weighs 11.5lbs.

Moderate walks for any creature in the lower 50:

Trued Remington 700 with saco extractor and single shot glued in. Heavy fluted SS K&P barrel at 26" plus brake. H&S stock pillar/alum/glass bedded. Badger 20MOA base and bolt knob. Nikon 6.5-20 Scope. Caliber is 6.5 ICBM (6.5 STW Improved 35 degree shoulder). Rifle weighs 12.5lbs.

Velocities (not pushing all that hard)

100's 3900 FPS 77 grains of RL22
120's 3650 FPS 75 grains of RL22
140's 3450 FPS 88 grains of 869.

The ballistics on a 142 grain matchking at 3450 is really impressive. I have not tried any custom bullets or Bergers in this rifle.

Mike.

Last edited:
I've been shooting a 6MM Mach IV the last year or so, and found it to be a very nice caliber. The load I use pushes a 90 grain E-Tip at 3900 fps using 63 grains of Hybrid 100V powder. Not sure of the longest shot that could be made with it, but I took a Antalope at 425 yards a few weeks ago and it went down right now. Balistices show it to have 1000 lbs at 1000 yards in less than 1 second of travel time. It shoots less than 4 mils out to 1000 meters. I know there are a lot of rifle better for ulra long range, but for light weight and comfortable recoil and the fastest shooting rifle on the planet out to 1000 yards, all enjoy every trigger pull.

LTLR, my hat is off to you for starting such a great and informative post.

My favorite long range rig is also my carry gun. It's a trued 700 action on a McMillan Classic Edge stock, Broughton 25" 5-C with 11 twist, Holland lug, Talley lightweight rings holding a Leupy VX-3 4.5x14x40 LR with BC reticle. This gun is crazy accurate and the gun alone only weighs just under 7 lbs. I can easily put in the miles with this one. Shooting 180 AB's at 3050 fps.

Next up is a Remington Sendero II in 300 RUM. It was a real piece when I got it but I recrowned the muzzle, relieved some stress points in the stock, and got it down to a 0.6 shooter. I learned a lot in the process of trying to bring this one around. It has TPS 20 MOA base and TPS rings holding a Sightron SIII 6x24x50 MD with a Harris Bipod. Shooting 200 AB's at 3100 fps.

My more or less practice gun is another crazy accurate shooter. It's a Rem 700 5R Milspec in 308 Win. Untouched straight out of the box can shoot 0.1's. It has a Ken Farrell 20 MOA base with TPS rings and typically has the Sightron scope that is on loan to the RUM. Have shot this to 1060 yds and it does very well.

I'm not sure what the best LRH setup is but for me my next will be something in the 338 offerings. I've been talking to one of the smiths on here about putting together a parts list that I can start working on. Hopefully have something in the works this spring.

No such thing as a best, we already know that. I am really enjoying a Elisio tube gun set up, look at competitionshootingstuff.com. I have a Pierce engineering short action ( remington clone)in the MTS version of the stock. I use the Accuracy international magazines, Broughton 7 twist 6mm barrel, chambered in a straight 243 Win, shoots the 115 g Berger bullets like a laser. jewell trigger. Gun is a heavy, carry gun. I fits nicely in one of my Eberlestock backpacks. Yes too heavy but it does shoot.

Current build is:
30-06 12.5lb
Rem 700 action blueprinted
Pillar bedded stock w/Karsten adjustable cheekrest
Harris swivel pod
Brux Stainless match grade barrel 26" straight 1" contour
Scorehigh Tactical Brake
Timney trigger @ 1.5lb
Leupold VXIII 8.5x25 varmint
EGW 20 MOA Picatinny rail
TPS / TSR Tactical rings
Barnes TTSX 130gr @ 3350fps
For yotes and groundhog Barnes TTSX 110gr @ 3550fps
Pretty old school but I've always been an 06 fan and I figure if a .308 will work then a .308 mag. is better. I am thinking about having it chambered in AI next year.

1st and foremost I dont believe that there is a 'best' set up generaly speaking. Best for me and best for others isnt possible. That said, I believe that after 15 years of dedication to longrange hunting, I have finnaly found perfection. At least for me. Why is it perfect? Because it is super accurate, delivers amazing amounts of energy WAY out there and has less than 48" of wind at 1K yards, is easy to carry, feeds and functions flawlessly, perfectly balanced, the action is as smooth as silk, built like a tank and least it is a good looking stick. I would NOT change any one spec on the rifle. If it was ever stolen, I would try and duplicate it exactly as it sits today.

For the boomer:

338 Edge
700 Action blueprinted to perfection, sako style extraction, badger bolt knob aftermarket firing pin assembly
jewell trigger at 7oz.
wayatt box mag
Tubb lug modified to allow for easy stock removal
McMillan HTG stock in forest cammo pillar bedded to perfection
ABS 28" barrel with titanium muzzle break
Seekins 1 peice base bedded to the action
Nightforce UL rings
10# on the nose with the Mark 4 10x

I use two scopes for it for different purposes
Nightforce 5.5-22x50 MLR/MIL turret with zero stop
Leupold Mark 4 fixed 10x Mildot

Berger 300 HY at 2727 FPS (surgical precision)

It is the accuracy, perfect balance and light weight that make this rifle. Everything else is a pleasent bonus.

For the fun gun:

308 Winny
700 Action blueprinted to perfection, badger bolt knob aftermarket firing pin assembly
jewell trigger at 7oz.
wayatt box mag
Tubb lug
McMillan HTG stock in desert cammo pillar bedded to perfection
Hart 26" barrel fluted 11x
Nightforce 40MOA 1 peice base bedded to the action
Badger rings

Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 MIL/MIL

Too many loads to mention. The best is the 208 AMAX at 2610 FPS. Consistent sub 1/2 MOA at 700 yards. I have yet to fire it any further.

Shoots ragged holes with MANY types of bullets and powders.
Easy to shoot, forgiving and easy on the shoulder
Cheap to reload for
Superior barrel life

I never get tired of ultra tight groups even way out there. It continues to amaze me from 100 yards to 1000 yards.

Last edited:
I have a twelve pound custom made rifle chambered in .338 - .378 Weatherby with a Leupold 8.5 - 25 Long Range scope. It was built on an old .340 Weatherby action that I had with a Kreiger barrel and an H.S. Precision stock.

I load my own ammo using Weatherby cases, GM215M primers, 225 grain Nosler Accubond bullets and 109.0 grains of H1000 powder. OAL is 3.840" I get 3180 FPS at the muzzle and can, and often do, shoot a 1 7/8 th inch group at 555 yards. I havent been able to practice shooting farther out yet as our shooting range here in Las Vegas is limited to just 555 yards. They just recently added a new berm at 650 yards and I am working on that one now.

I have the rifle zeroed at 300 yards, and it is just 20 clicks up to a 550 yard zero.

So far the longest shot I have taken game with was a 425 yard shot on a cow elk near Ely, Nevada. That was just 10 clicks up for a dead on one shot kill.

Here is my light / stalking rifle, Remington 700 Ti action, DE bolt release, Hart #4 fluted barrel in 1-9 twist .284", chambered in 7 WSM, I run the 180 Berger in this one @ 2910 fps. It is black Cerakoted and painted in our "Rock Web". Recoil is managable, shoots really well. I practice out to 1k with it but in my mind am limited to around 800 yards in good conditions. I have noticed that with the rifle weighing in at 5.9 lbs + the NF 2.5-10 for a total of 7.4 lbs it is just not nearly as easy to shoot well as a big gun that weighs 14.5 lbs. If I hold my head just right and the planets are lined up it can produce some scary accuracy, but in the field I seem to have some difficulties taking advantage of it. If the pack is long or the distances are closer than 600 it is the ticket. I still prefer taking my Edge when ever it is reasonable.

I have talked to several customer about the 2 gun issue. Alot of people have come to me wanting a true long range rifle that only weighs 8 lbs total. My position ios this: If you try this you have just built a dual sport motorcycle, it will not be a dirt bike or a street bike, it will be middle of the road in each arena and excell at nothing. If you try the one gun light weight long range approach you will have a rifle that is to heavy to be a good packing rifle and to light to be a great long range rifle. You can build a packing rifle that has some legs but don't get the idea it will ever be on the same planet as a serious long range rifle. Be sure to access what your needs are and get what really fits your hunting style and area. If you can only afford only one custom get a LR rig and buy a good factory packing rifle I believe you will be happier in the long run.

Rock%20Web.JPG

Here is my favorite rifle a 338 Edge, Canyon Rifle weighs 14.7 ready to roll with a 5.5-22 NXS, bipod etc. THis one is done in Coyote Cerakote and Desert Web camo. I pack a rifle like this about 95% of the time weather permiting. For the additional performance I am willing to pack the weight most places I hunt. This requires an effort to stay in shape and a serious backpack (I use an Ebberlystock Dragonfly) to carry your gear and rifle but when the time ofr the shot comes it is confidence inspiring and makes me feel like it is a done deal. To me that is worth the weight most of the time. I have tried to blend the 2 rifles together over the years for 1 gun but never came up with a platform I liked as well as just having 2 rifles and choosing the one to take on a given day.

DESERT%20WEB%20DESKTOP.JPG

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.