Best 2500$ setup

Brig gay

Hi guys. I've got 2500 to spend on a gun and optics. Prefer 308 caliber. What do you guys suggest. Don't really want a savage. Thanks!

:D That still might be a bit vague. Like a 308 win? Or any 308" caliber? For hunting? Or just shooting fun?

You get quite a bang for your buck with a Winchester M70 Extreme Weather. I think they come with a B&C stock. It probably wouldn't need too many mods, so you should have enough for a decent scope. Maybe a VX6???

Pretty vague is right... Best value? Maybe a Ruger precision in .308 with a Vortex PST. But I wouldn't use it for the type of hunting I do.

What's wrong with Savage? They are very accurate and don't usually need much tuning to shoot. But if you like to spend money right away then go buy a Remington. The Ruger precision rifle looks nice but never held one or shot one so no help there.

What's wrong with Savage? They are very accurate and don't usually need much tuning to shoot. But if you like to spend money right away then go buy a Remington.

+1! I own both but I tend to gravitate towards Savage and their improvements these days. They are the most DIY friendly too.

I agree that the OP is too vague on his query. A bit out of his budget but might be worth a look >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f25/custom-built-lightweight-308-a-167968/

If not a Savage then I would say Remington 5R milspec, self bedded, trigger upgrade then a used Nightforce NSX if you can find one, or a Nightforce SHV.

Great setup!!

Surely you have access to a 700 action...take it to a good gunsmiths the and built what you want and you can easily beat that $2500 limit...barrel,chambering,300wm..$800...Jewell trigger.. $200...stock/bedding..$500..and scope of your choose for $500...saved a $500 bill and it will out shoot any factory rifle...and you can even cut these costs if you want..

Sorry about bad post, Yes, 308 Win. Always been a Remington man, so I am leaning that way. I know that Savages shoot very well, but not a fan for whatever reason.

I have been looking at the Remington 700 SPS tactical. What are your guys thoughts on it?

Thanks for all your help.

Here's your LR .308 Win. setup for under $2,500...

Rifle...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411540287

Trigger...

Timney Rifle Trigger Remington 700 40X Safety 1-1/2 to 4 lb

Scope...

Vortex Optics Viper HS-T Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 50mm Side Focus

Base...

EGW 1-Piece Heavy Duty Picatinny-Style 20 MOA Elevated Base Remington

Rings...

Seekins Precision 30mm Picatinny-Style Rings Matte

And here's what it all looks like when put together...And it's very accurate. :D

E5261E9E-ED3A-4552-A8B3-BF34F23A9FCD_zpsoyjzo2c2.jpg

B1953EF2-C803-4079-9391-A4B5015AA17B_zpsgvvbwahi.jpg

Sorry about bad post, Yes, 308 Win. Always been a Remington man, so I am leaning that way. I know that Savages shoot very well, but not a fan for whatever reason.

I have been looking at the Remington 700 SPS tactical. What are your guys thoughts on it?

Thanks for all your help.

Id buy it and swap out the trigger to a timney. Mine shoots very well and ive still not
bothered changing the trigger. But it is on my list.

What would you guys think of getting the Remington 700 VTR, put a timney trigger.

What are your options on Vortex Viper PST

vs

Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50

What would you guys think of getting the Remington 700 VTR, put a timney trigger.

What are your options on Vortex Viper PST

vs

Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50

Get the 5R Milspec over the VTR...Better rifling, better barrel material. They call it the 5R Milspec because it is essentially a stainless steel version of the world-renowned M24 sniper rifle. The 5R barrels are made of the very same M24 barrel stock that Remington uses for the M24 (416R stainless steel), and use the Obermeyer-style 5R rifling, also developed and used in the M24 rifles. The main differences are that the triggers are different (M24 uses a 40-X trigger, the 5R comes with the X-Mark Pro, which is a lawyer-proof piece of junk), the stocks are essentially the same HS Precision stocks (but finished in different colors), but the M24 stock has adjustable comb and length-of-pull, the barrel contour for the M24 is a little bit heavier. And the M24 is cerakoted flat black. Other than that, they are basically the same rifle.

The Viper PST's are nice scopes, but I feel you get more for your money with the HS-T scopes. Illuminated reticles are overrated, IMO, and 99.99% of the time they go unused and unneeded. Personal preference, but I prefer SFP (Second Focal Plane) scopes over FFP (First Focal Plane) scopes also. So, to me, the only real advantage of the PST over the HS-T is that the PST has an etched-glass reticle, and the HS-T has a wire reticle...That being said, to me thats not worth the extra $300. But unless you're shooting with muzzle brakes, or huge recoiling rifles like a .50 BMG, then the wire reticles should hold up just fine. I've never had any issues, and I've shot some really cheap scopes on some large magnum caliber rifles. The only one I ever had a problem with was an old Simmons Aetec scope on an ultra-lightweight Ruger M77 MKII 7mmRM that kicked like a mule...But I think after that many shots over that many years, just about any scope would give up the ghost on that rifle.

I honestly think they use the same glass and lens coatings on the HS-T and PST scopes, as well. Comparing them side-by-side at the range. So really, the etched-glass reticle, FFP, and illuminated reticle are about the only differences, for $300 more. To those who prefer a FFP scope, that $300 might be justifiable, but being that I prefer the SFP scopes, for me, it is not. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Want to thank everyone for their input. I am probably going to go the 700 5R route. I like it. The optic is the only other thing im still in air about.

Bare with me here, you mentioned first focal plane, and second focal plane. Could you elaborate on this please? Thank you.

What upgrades would you do to the 700 5R?

Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.