Best 2500$ setup

Want to thank everyone for their input. I am probably going to go the 700 5R route. I like it. The optic is the only other thing im still in air about.

Bare with me here, you mentioned first focal plane, and second focal plane. Could you elaborate on this please? Thank you.

What upgrades would you do to the 700 5R?

Thanks again

The only truly "needed" upgrades is swap out the factory trigger with an aftermarket unit...Recommend Timney or Jewell, and re-torque the action screws to 65 inch-pounds. Other cheap upgrades you can do would be have the action DevCon bedded into the stock and make sure the barrel is free-floated.

FFP vs. SFP - Vortex Optics - First vs.Second Focal Plane

Great, thanks alot. looking like I will have the same setup as you do.

Best of luck with your purchase. Keep us updated how it shoots once you get it.

Well, I cannot guarantee you 100% that your particular rifle will be a shooter, as it is still a factory assembled rifle and not a custom, and with anything man-made, there will always be the potential for a few lemons. But I do wish you the best of luck in your purchase. Mine shoots exceptionally well (1/4-1/2" average) with handloads, which is why I recommend them. The 5R rifling, because of it's design, is also very easy to clean. It cleans up quickly and very easily. It also takes fewer patches than my barrels with standard cut rifling. I think this can be attributed to the angle of the sides of the lands, instead of being a cut 60º right angle (like most traditional and standard rifling), they are are angled about 45º (or so) which is less sharp of an angle allowing less copper to build up, and easier to clean the copper out of the grooves.

I got this image off of Google...

5r-barrel1.jpg

Also, mine took 50-75 rounds to really settle in as far as grouping and consistency. Every barrel will be different, but they all will need a break-in period. Some require more shots, some less. So, don't be disappointed if it isn't shooting 1/2" groups the first 5 shots out of the box. I've seen a lot of folks at the range get disappointed with a brand new rifle because they didn't realize that barrels need a break-in.

I help a friend set-up his TC Venture .308 (https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/bolt-action-rifles/venture/venture-weather-shield) also has 5R rifling (not many people now). They are so underrated but the end result speaks for themselves. It is topped with a 4-16x50 Vortex and absolutely no modification needed.

Here's his 300 yard group with the load I developed for him. BTW, he's a first time hunter/shooter a year ago and he paid under $400 for it. Not too shabby IMHO.

Attachments

• P9260365.JPG
    P9260365.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 87
Great thanks. appreciate all the help. What is your load you are using in your 5R?

Im looking to start with 175 gr with varget

Great thanks. appreciate all the help. What is your load you are using in your 5R?

Im looking to start with 175 gr with varget

You will need to work-up your loads, as what works in 1 rifle, might not in another. What is safe pressures in my rifle, might be overpressure in your's. I'd start around 42.0 and work up in 1/2-grain increments till you find a good load, or pressure signs.

My 175 load is as follows:

Lapua .308 Win brass
Nosler Custom Comp 175
44.0gr of Varget
Federal 210M primers
2.810" C.O.A.L.

Trigger upgrade is the must, if funds permit perhaps having the action trued. If your ranging using your reticle then first focal plane is a must if not then second will suffice. Just understand that you must have the zoom on max power to use the hash marks on the reticle correctly. I run second focal plane with no issues. Look into the SHV by Nightforce if funds permit or a used NSX if possible. The 5R is a fantastic rifle for sure!!!!

Good luck

I ha ve some Remington factory triggers. I have one jewell and 6 shilen. I use leup scopes. most 6.5-20

Hey Guys, here she is.

I topped it with a Vortex HST. Put a Pikatinny 20 MOA rail on aswell. I havent got to shoot it yet, too windy here this weekend.

What is all your guys thoughts on breaking in a new gun, all my previous guns werent as special to me as this one.

Hey Guys, here she is.

I topped it with a Vortex HST. Put a Pikatinny 20 MOA rail on aswell. I havent got to shoot it yet, too windy here this weekend.

What is all your guys thoughts on breaking in a new gun, all my previous guns werent as special to me as this one.

I have the exact same gun and scope. Love it. I did a 20-30 rd break in. Cleaned every shot for first 5. Then a few sets of 3 and then to 5 shots and clean.

You scope mounts look high as are mine. I can't quite get the perfect cheek weld. I need to find some low rings or a cheek pad. I have medium rings and they are pretty high with rail on there.

I also replaced trigger with timney set at 2lbs. The x mark wasn't terrible but the timney is night and day better.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.