Best long range mountain rifle with box magazine?

The box mag is the problem.. Not many factory rifles come with a decent one. I think the new Howa mountain rifle does though..? If I were you I'd go either Browning X bolt or Weatherby ultralight RC (range certified) or Weatherby Vanguard backpacker (I'm not sure if that's the name).

Have you checked out the LAW rifles? Legendary Arms Works. They are a perfect light hunting rifle. I'm sorry I didnt include them above. I've handled one of the Professional models. The fit and finish is excellent. I will buy a few of them.

Why not just buy a remington put an after market bottom metal [badger, seekins,APA,PTG,Ect.] see how it shoots if its not up to par re barrel? maybe even have some action work done.

I want to buy/build my ultimate big game hunting rifle.

Can anyone suggest a long range mountain rifle? I want something in 7 mag that has a flush box magazine. I prefer the stocks similar to Bell and Carlson sporter stocks.

I like Remington 700s because they are easy to customize with triggers and stocks.The hang up is I really would like a flush mount box magazine.

I am hoping the rifle will be around 7lbs so that eliminates heavy barrels and overmolded stocks.

I am considering the X-bolt but have heard mixed reviews on the "feather trigger" and it does not appear aftermarket triggers are readily available.

I have about $1200 budgeted for a Leupold VX-6 3-18 to top it.

Thanks for the help.

I have or had no less than 6 7mm's, well 4 7mm RM's and 2 .280's. Lightest is my current Remington MR with DM. It's ~6.3lbs, and finishes under 8lbs with everything, including a 6-20 Zeiss. It is hard to shoot well, despite being sub moa accurate to 500, because of barrel whip. Research says I can't break it as the barrel is too thin. You might find a used one then rebarrel and add a break for under $1500.

I am not at all sensitive to recoil, but have found that for hunting, I just prefer a break. I think spotting your hits on game is invaluable. I think a 7lb 7mm RM is too light. I have both an Abolt and a Sako 75 in 7mmm that are about 7.75 lbs, but carry 50mm Vortex scopes, so are about 9.5lbs in the field with everything and are just about right. I prefer my Sako and Tikka actions to all others, including a new custom TAC300 for feel. I would look into some of the Sako A7's with their magazine, and ignore the whiners regarding the polymer material, I have never had a problem and you won't find any posts about failures with them. Cabela's and Sportsmans have various models with the B&C stock and some with fluted barrels. Add a brake and your set for under $1500. PS My Sako 75 DM is the best i've used and is quite long, never impeding my ability to use VLD's.

My go to rifle the last 5 years for long range has been an A-bolt 7mm RM with a Boss brake, which was my first and what made me appreciate what a brake can do for me, an aftermarket B&C stock, and the afterrmarket spring kit for the trigger. I LOVE that trigger and it's inexpensive and easy. Other than the 24" barrel due to the boss system, it has shot .5moa out past 500 with 168 bergers and taken 3 animals between 600-700. These can be had without the BOSS in 26" barrel's, at 7.7lbs, and add the stock, trigger spring, a brake for under $1500. PS it has a box mag, but it is hinged and can be somewhat short.

So Sako, Tikka, Browning, and Remington all have offerings that I and many others would recommend and all capable of shooting 1.0 moa and under with some load development, and can be set up to your liking for about $1200 bucks, and with a brake for about $1500. All have the mag you like. PS I like DM's too.

I have a Tikka T3 in 270WSM that shoots lights out. I would consider it a good mountain rifle because it is relatively light weight and it has the detachable magazine that you want. I did put a moderately heavy NF SHV scope and a 20MOA rail on the rifle which adds a bit of weight going up the mountains... but it is lighter than the NXS scopes. There are lighter options for optics but I really like NF when the shots get long.
I took this Dall at 520y one shot bang flop with hand loaded Berger bullets.
Awesome hunt.
Works for me,well done Chris.A newer Winchester Model 70 in .270wsm also a fantastic choice imho. Gary

I too like the mag set ups. I have a Tikka lite in a 7mag. The bolt is smooth and trigger is good but it's too dang lite really, i have a hard time shooting it off hand without the scope nailing me in the nose from the sideways torque. Of course it probably doesn't help that I have a big nose.

I also have a Browning X-bolt in .243. The X-bolt has a better trigger, shorter bolt throw, not as smooth bolt as the tikka but still smoother than most of the rest. The down fall to the X-bolt is the magazine. It can get burrs on the lips and cause feeding issues, touch it up with some sand paper and all is good. I have to full length size my brass, as just fireformed to the chamber and necked sized makes for too fat of rounds and feeding issues.

Both are very accurate, I do prefer the X-bolt as it's just a finer rifle.

I may scratch the box magazine requirement.

I have heard the long range guys say you should have a 26" barrel on a 7 mag. I want the 7 mag due to the high ballistic coefficient of the Berger bullets.

What about shorter barrel models? Tikka, Sako, etc. Should I get a 26" barrel for long range?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.