I second the cabelas cooler we use ours camping every summer . As long as the kids aren't in it every five seconds it does well.

I didn't see anyone mention Cordova coolers. I have one and I think it does a good job. Just my option have a great day. They are made in Idaho if it matters

All the rotomold coolers are heavier than the coolers we were used to. When full of ice and food/drink the larger models need two people to handle them. In spite of the weight I am very happy with both of mine.
Yes, I have a ~75 quart Walmart version yeti and it feels like it has an antelope in it when it's empty. I store my coolers in my attic when not in use but this one it way too heavy for that.
The other thing I now do is get dry ice from the welding supply store, Praxair, it's a quarter of the price of the grocery store and I don't have to wait for the properly trained employee to put on the hazmat suit and goggles, they just shovel a few scoops into whatever container I bring. You have to pack it right or it will freeze everything solid.

I'm in the market for a new, large cooler. Ideally looking for at least a 150 quart size.

What is the best value cooler out there nowadays? It would need to retain ice for a least 5 days.

I know Yeti has a strong following, but there's no way that $680+ is value for a cooler (at least in my eyes).

Any opinions? RTIC, Coleman, Igloo, Orca, others?
For many years before I retired to Florida I would go on a camping fishing trip for at least a 7 day stay in a remote area of Quebec. So that meant our ice needed to last at least 8 days from purchase at the last place we could buy it before heading off the paved roads. I had and still have the same 150 qt Igloo I used for many of those trips. I lined the inside with 1" ridged foil faced insulation cut with a razor knife to fit all sides. Ten pound blocks would be placed in the cooler which was placed in a shaded spot out of the direct sun. That cooler was used for ice storage only, and some perishable food items and only opened when ice was needed in our smaller 75qt for daily use, which was also lined with the same foam insulation. We never ran out of ice, and had plenty left for icing the fish we brought home.
Now for the kicker, separate out of the group even good friends and family who require a daily ice supply just for keeping their beer cold.
Fewer is better anyway, especially when they cant help out much because of always having something in their hand. lol

All the rotomold coolers are heavier than the coolers we were used to. When full of ice and food/drink the larger models need two people to handle them. In spite of the weight I am very happy with both of mine.
I

I'm in the market for a new, large cooler. Ideally looking for at least a 150 quart size.

What is the best value cooler out there nowadays? It would need to retain ice for a least 5 days.

I know Yeti has a strong following, but there's no way that $680+ is value for a cooler (at least in my eyes).

I recently acquired a Cordova and took it on a 3,400 mile, three week camping trip. Made in the USA. Outstanding cooler in my opinion.

Check out Grizzly Cooler 165 quart. It's well made, has two large drain holes. They come with a lifetime warranty, keeps ice frozen really well up to 10 days. If you buy direct from the company you get free delivery and it's just under $500.

Got an orca for christmas. The wife left it in the garage with Icecream in it for 3 days. I saw it and thought the icecream was ruined. Nope still frozen. 2 one gallon milk juggs, frozen, were still about 2/3 or more frozen. I'm sold.

Never EVER buy Yeti. The do not support the 2nd Amendment right to bear arms, want a "Assault Weapon" ban. So ANYTHING would be better than Yeti. Stick to Igloo.
DocB

I'm not going terribly deep into this because it's a rabbit hole, and I love my rtic anyway. However, I urge you to look up what actually went down in that hole situation instead of just reading user comments to gain that kind of info. Yeti has flat out denied that they are anti 2a and said all they did was cut a discount program to the NRA(like many other companies they had previously discounted/donated to) and they had already told the NRA about this before it was going to happen. No matter if you buy this or that from whomever, you should at least look up what each party claims.

Most of what you read on the internet especially comments from people is littered with untruths and claims they have no proof of, because they also just read it from some guy on another site.

Back to the point
If I was going to buy a soft cooler I would buy a yeti, specifically for their Zipper quality. If I was going to buy a hard cooler I would buy a cheaper competitors Rotomolded cooler. And I have done exactly that. I love my rtic cooler, and my yeti backpack works well also.

Good point,
However, they (yeti) are a bit over priced also so there are some good advice here

Betting that for the price and quality, none of the roto molded coolers mentioned beat Rtic. If I'm wrong, which one(s) are in the same price range?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.