Best "large" calibers for shorter barrels?

I just got my first silencer/suppressor and am going to be buying shorter barreled rifles going forward. My question is, which calibers suited for mule deer and elk are best with a shorter barrel that you've found? I'm looking to keep barrel length to 20" on everything.

I'm interested in the 6.8 Western but lack of factory ammo and "good" brass has me nervous. Does anyone have any good comparisons between calibers using shorter barrels specifically at all?
I want better 6.8 bass also, but the Winchester brass has reloaded great so far for me so I haven't let it bother me. I'm working up a load for 145 ELD-X next weekend on magpro to burn up a few extra cans I have sitting around.

It isn't? Wow....should I be disappointed now? I was just about to jump in with both feet and go whole hog large caliber .308 until OP suggested a 6.8....but it is .3mm larger than my 6.5!
LOL!! Ok, that's good enough. I can't take the beat-down anymore. I need to save myself for the extra recoil this thread is gonna cause me. Goin .50 BMG, no muzzle break, no hearing protection. Didn't know we were in a tough-guy contest but I'm willing to play ball. If nothing else, it could be good video footage. Haha!!!

All joking aside, I do appreciate the advice in this thread. I think I'm going to pursue a .300 WSM. Not exactly sure which one I'm going to go with yet but it'll likely be a factory option for now. Thanks again for the help.

I want better 6.8 bass also, but the Winchester brass has reloaded great so far for me so I haven't let it bother me. I'm working up a load for 145 ELD-X next weekend on magpro to burn up a few extra cans I have sitting around.
What loads have you shot through it so far, and what seems to be performing the best for you?

What loads have you shot through it so far, and what seems to be performing the best for you?
Berger 170 EOL is all I've worked on so far. Retumbo and Magnum both got me into the mid 2900s in cold weather with zero pressure signs. I'm waiting for summer to test in the heat so I don't end up with any surprises

145 ELDX is next for a less expensive and easily attainable option for smaller game and plinking/targets.

All joking aside, I do appreciate the advice in this thread. I think I'm going to pursue a .300 WSM. Not exactly sure which one I'm going to go with yet but it'll likely be a factory option for now. Thanks again for the help.
Is there a second 300 wsm? Man...am I behind the times if there is! Oh yeah sorry...it must be the 300wsm.8!

My first thought would be to say .308. or 7-08, or 243, but I own a short barreled 30-06. Not saying its the best at all, but it makes a nice white tail woods rifle when the woods to your left offers shots 30 to 50 yards, but the field to your right is 150 yards to the property line. Inter arms, 98 Action, 20inch Barrel, Mannlicher Stock. Leupold VX3 1.5 to 5 30mm Tube, Lighted Reticle.

Attachments

• IMG_3733INTER ARMS MARK X  30-06  Leupold scope.jpg
    IMG_3733INTER ARMS MARK X 30-06 Leupold scope.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3725 Inter Arms mark X with Leupold 1.5 to 5  X VX3.jpg
    IMG_3725 Inter Arms mark X with Leupold 1.5 to 5 X VX3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
My first thought would be to say .308. or 7-08, or 243, but I own a short barreled 30-06. Not saying its the best at all, but it makes a nice white tail woods rifle when the woods to your left offers shots 30 to 50 yards, but the field to your right is 150 yards to the property line. Inter arms, 98 Action, 20inch Barrel, Mannlicher Stock. Leupold VX3 1.5 to 5 30mm Tube, Lighted Reticle.
What's your velocity and with what bullet?

Hi CWBY, The load is 55.0 Grns. of 4350 with 165 Grn Horn or Ballistic tip. Matched cases. Win LR Primers. In a 24 inch barrel it should be 2700 /2750, in my rifle I would think its about 2600 fps.. If I do the math using 2600fps, I get 2498 fps@50 yards; 2399fps@100 yards with 2109 ft lbs. 2302 fps@150 yards with 1942 Ft Lbs ; and 2208 fps @200 yards with 1786 Ft Lbs. (JBM Ballistic App ) In my personal opinion, that is acceptable energy for taking whitetail to 200 yards. That would be my personal max range for this 30-06. I am sure a younger shooter with better eyes and better skills could take 250 yard shots with confidence. Even from my elevated box blind, I do not have a shot further than 150 yards in any direction. This rifle /scope/load combination is only used for that hunting location. In any other situation, I would use my Weatherby ultralight, in 270 Win.