Best short barreled 6.5 caliber??

I think after 6 pages of rehash and conjecture, it's time to use a picture.;)

upload_2019-4-8_10-39-24.png

This is an image from a Quickload program which illustrates what 'rlspahn' is trying to get across as usable information.

All of this is very simple. The powder is ignited from the back of the cartridge which builds pressure, pushing both the bullet and the remaining powder forward though the barrel. At 16.16" (in this example) the powder charge has been fully consumed but the pressure still remains albeit, it is reducing until it reaches the muzzle at 22" still pushing at 18,250 PSI. None of this is hard to understand but it can be a little tedious to try to picture what is actually taking place. The image above illustrates what is happening in the barrel from ignition to just as the bullet leaves the muzzle.

The cartridge is the 6.5 RSAUM loaded with the Berger 130 gr. VLD hunter which, at this velocity will generate 1,000 ft/lbs of energy at 800 yards. All of this information is located at the bottom of the illustration in red typeface. The same data can be generated with the 6.5 PRC within a FPS.

Enjoy the process!:D

So, I am looking to build a 22" barreled 6.5 hunting rig. I want the shorter barrel so it isn't too cumbersome with my suppressor on it. I really like the idea of the 6.5x284 but everything I read says that cartridge is best with a 28" barrel. Would the 6.5 PRC be a better option for the shorter barrel? The only criteria that I have is that there has to be good brass available for it. I have never dove into the world of forming my own brass, and I don't want to start. It can be a short or long action, I don't care. Any advice or insight will be greatly appreciated.
.260 rem

Have you considered getting a Howa 1500 in 6.5 creedy with a 22" #2 barrel on a hogue stock. Getting this barreled action on a Hogue chassis is cheaper than buying a separate barreled action. Replace the Hogue stock with an adjustable stock of your choice. I did this and replaced the hogue stock with a Promag Archangel 1500 stock. That setup is a bit on the heavy side, but that rifle handles well and it is a solid combination.

Idk but after seeing Dane Miller and Jon shoot their short barrel 18" 6.5 CR. I thought that was impressive for the overall package.

So, I am looking to build a 22" barreled 6.5 hunting rig. I want the shorter barrel so it isn't too cumbersome with my suppressor on it. I really like the idea of the 6.5x284 but everything I read says that cartridge is best with a 28" barrel. Would the 6.5 PRC be a better option for the shorter barrel? The only criteria that I have is that there has to be good brass available for it. I have never dove into the world of forming my own brass, and I don't want to start. It can be a short or long action, I don't care. Any advice or insight will be greatly appreciated.

Bottom line, the 6.5 Remington Magnum a real sleeper and has been since the late '60s in both 22" and 24" barrel rifles. When it came out in the Remington M700 it was way ahead of its time. I had one of the early rifles (M700's) and it was a tack driver right out of the box.

533px-65mmRemMag01.png

Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creed comes with a 24.5" barrel. Super accurate and <7#'s and if you just have to HAVE a 22" or a 20" tube you can have any good gun smith cut and re-crown and threaded it for less than $100 bucks.

Last edited:
Bottom line, the 6.5 Remington Magnum a real sleeper and has been since the late '60s in both 22" and 24" barrel rifles. When it came out in the Remington M700 it was way ahead of its time. I had one of the early rifles (M700's) and it was a tack driver right out of the box.

533px-65mmRemMag01.png
I have had several 6.5 R Mags and loved all from the Mod 600 18.5", mod 700 22" and 4 customs : 25" 26" 26.5" and 27" all 4 in 1 in 8 twists...they all out perform the PRS....Only problem is finding affordable Brass. I make my own out of 7mm mag brass.

I have had several 6.5 R Mags and loved all from the Mod 600 18.5", mod 700 22" and 4 customs : 25" 26" 26.5" and 27" all 4 in 1 in 8 twists...they all out perform the PRS....Only problem is finding affordable Brass. I make my own out of 7mm mag brass.

jpope02
I very much agree; the 6.5mm Rem Mag has been a cartridge overlooked by many especially in the older days when the 6.5mm caliber didn't have the following it does now. Now we have better bullets and folks understand the potential of the 6.5mm caliber. With that said, it's still an amazing cartridge in 6.5mm caliber and especially for hander's looking for all-out performances in a strong short magnum style case... I'd say; in the 6.5mm calibers, I've shot over the years the ballistic twin would have to be the 6.5 RSAUM from the 7mm RSAUM case. When the 6.5 Remington Mag first came out it was always in the shadow of the .264 Win Mag, while the whole time getting none of the 6.5mm accolades and all of the negativity based on the .264 Win Mag, too bad. Perhaps someday Remington will bring it back in the old M-700 24" BDL style rifle, and if they were smart they'd do it today! I do see brass come up for sale on special runs now and then, it actually gave good brass life as I recall.

I know you want another 6.5 cal rifle, but since you already have a 6.5 Creed, I HIGHLY recommend you look larger on the caliber. Take a long hard look at a 284 Win. You can push 168's or 175's over the 2800 fps mark. It will deliver the goods at sane shooting distances on critters up to and including elk and black bear. If 7mm is not an option for some reason......get the 6.5 PRC or 6.5 Rem Mag.

I know you want another 6.5 cal rifle, but since you already have a 6.5 Creed, I HIGHLY recommend you look larger on the caliber. Take a long hard look at a 284 Win. You can push 168's or 175's over the 2800 fps mark. It will deliver the goods at sane shooting distances on critters up to and including elk and black bear. If 7mm is not an option for some reason......get the 6.5 PRC or 6.5 Rem Mag.

Arshutr,
If I might chime in for a moment; I very much agree, the .284 Win is a fantastic cartridge and has been for years. It seems for some reason, I don't understand why that it's associated with semi-auto hunting rifles like the old Win M-100 and not so much with bolt guns, perhaps it's some subconscious thing with shooter and hunters.
In any case, the case is a fantastic wild cat case from .22 to .338 caliber, with that said as it stands in .7mm it a proper hunting cartridge for sure. Side note; my favorite conversation of the .248 Win case is the .30-284 Win like many of the conversations it's super accurate and is almost a dead ringer for the Swiss 7.5x55mm which we all know is a stellar cartridge. Just my .02

I am a 6.5 supporter. Also, I already have a 30-06 and a 300winmag. I'm looking for something smaller that would be a good deer/antelope/ and long range varmint/predator rifle. I was just trying to find something that would accomplish that in a short barrel in order to make it more enjoyable with an 8" suppressor on it. I have decided on 6.5 creedmoor because it will meet the energy and velocity goals out of a short barrel that I am looking for.

Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creed comes with a 24.5" barrel. Super accurate and <7#'s and if you just have to HAVE a 22" or a 20" tube you can have any good gun smith cut and re-crown and threaded it for less than $100 bucks.

I already have a Big Horn TL3 sitting in my safe and a 20" Proof Big Horn Pre-fit on order. Hopefully, it will be a neat little rifle

Great choice of hardware. Bighorn/Zermatt Arms is 15 minutes from my house and I know the crew there well. Phenomenal products and people. Dangerous on the checkbook.