Large caliber question

As of today I have never killed an animal. My mom is engaged to a hunter who has been to Africa a half dozen times and has many grand slams of all different species mounted on his wall and I have the bug to hunt bad. I currently have 2 deer tags for this year and am anxious to get at it. One of the reasons I was thinking of the 338 caliber choices is because it's considerably different than the 30-06 whereas in my opinion (looking through various ammo charts/ballistics programs etc) something like the 300 win mag is too similar to what I have to justify the cost of buying it. I have an AR-15 for the smaller animals/plinking/etc.., my 30-06 that I will be loading with 208 Amax, and I'm looking for one step bigger to complete my collection (for atelast this year :)). I will primarily be doing target shooting out around 800 yards but also like the rifle to be able to be carried through the hills on a hunt (so something like the 110 BA isn't an option at this point).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.