257 caliber question

I would wait for the weatherby rpm brass to hit the shelf. Should be close to the 257wbymag in a standard bolt face. Gonna be interesting. Good luck with your project.
Shep

I have not shot a 25 creedmoor. One way to gauge potential is with case capacity.

I would suggest the 25 creedmoor ( case capacity of 52.5 gr of water) with same pressures will have slightly less velocity than the 25-243 sometimes called the 25 super (54 gr of water)

The 257 Roberts 56 gr of water, 250 savage 46 gr of water.

I have owned a 25-284 which is easy to form from 6.5-284 brass. It has a 35 degree shoulder and minimum body taper and should duplicate performance of a 25-06 with both holding 66 gr of water.

Why not go all the way and own a 257 Weatherby? 88 gr of water.
The .257 Wby Mag is a long action caliber. Some would prefer a short action. The 25-284 spits out an 85gr nosler BalTip bullet @ 3320fps 24" bbl. I'm shooting the same brass that i purchased in 1999 and I shoot quite a bit. the Wby ain't near as accurate as the 25-284 and it burns thought brass like a dog kill'n chickens....and it has a piercing BARK. It had a.257 and replaced it with the 25-284

I have 3 257wbymags right now and have owned at least 8. Every single one of them have been extremely accurate. 2 of mine now will shoot in the 2s. And my buddy's rifle I built him 5 yrs ago still shoots in the 2s. Pretty good for sporter weight rifles. All are fluted too. I don't find them to be brass eaters either. If you run them way over pressure then any brass will last 2 shots. They do bark. But any centerfire will damage your hearing without protection. What was that couldn't hear myself. Always want a 25-284 but I have a 6.5-284 already. I'm gonna be selling my 257wbys because I like the 6.5-257wbymags better. Last 5 yrs of competition made me a 6mm and 6.5 guy.
Shep

I had a 25-284 built with a barrel finished at 28". It shoots a ragged hole at 2875 fps and is just loafing along at that speed. I found it also shoots great at 3150 fps using 55.5 grs. of RL26. No pressure problems but, that's fast enough for me. I have several "wildcats" and the 25-284 has proven to be one of the easiest ever (for me) to find a load for. Just now finishing my latest build, (280AI) and I have always wanted a 257 WBY.!! Hmmmm. So many choices, so little time.

you'll find that the blackjack bullets will match the speed of lighter bullets even becasue of it's small bearing surface. they designed it to cause less bearing surface pressure so it could be pushed harder. I've also got a 25 saum in the works, and plan on using it for ELR. It's got a 30" heavy palma, so I'll be cruising at 3400!!

Of course comparing case water capacity is important because we need some kind of standard of comparison but we need a better standard that tells how much capacity is available with different size bullets. If the bullets seat deep into the case it displaces more gunpowder and can render a higher water capacity cartridge to be lower performance than a lower water capacity cartridge when shooting the same bullet.

I would wait for the weatherby rpm brass to hit the shelf. Should be close to the 257wbymag in a standard bolt face. Gonna be interesting. Good luck with your project.
Shep
The 6.5 rpm is nothing more than a 2.5" 6.5-284. Case capacity is probably around 75gr so smack in the middle between saum/wsm cases. 264wm and 257wby still out lass it by almost 10gr capacity. It'll come nowhere close to same fps loaded to equal pressures and neck/bullet position. The only think it has going for it is......its the only 6.5 saami factory loaded non magnum long action case out there, that may get it some sales. The new wby case will inevitably flop just like their attempt on the uber6.5-300 wonderboomer, sales volumes are shorter, even shorter than that rifles barrel life.

I have/had a few quarter bores too. .250-3000 Savage, .250AI, .25-06 Rem, .25-06AI, and I have a 25SST that should be ready any day, maybe even today.
A 25 Creedmoor is comparable to the .250AI in case capacity and velocity.
I used to push a 115 Berger @ 3050 in my 23" .250AI. I can push a 115 Berger @ 3065 in my 6CM if I lean on it. I would bet a 131 Blackjack could run 2850ish in a 25 CM, I get 2888 w. 130 OTM in my 22" barrel 6.5SLR and 2850 in a 24" 6.5CM.
The benefit to a 25 Creedmoor is you can get headstamped brass to match your barrel markings. A plus if you hunt out of the country, like Mexico or Canada. Other than that, no gain over what you have.
If you want a suggestion, rebarrel your .25-06AI to a 1:7.5" and run the 131 Blackjack to really push the HP. Or for a SA, build something like a 25SST.
I neck a.308 Norma Mag. down to .25 cal . I have chronographed 100 grain bullets at 3,750 fps . I use it for predators and deer and it really reaches out there. I've found that in a pinch I could simply neck down .264 mag. or 7mm Rem mag. brass . I'm thinking of getting rid of it now 'cause there are too many more efficient rounds.

If your after case capacity go with 25 stw. Brass and dies are available.

.257 wby all the way! I have had a 257 wby for 20+ years and out of all my calibers/rifles it's by far my favorite and always go to rifle for everything. Some may disagree on its ability but have taken *Rule 4 Violation* near everything with it coyotes, deer, cougar, bear, elk etc. 100 gr TTSX 3675fps absolute laser! Only recovered one bullet in the off side hide on bull elk everything else complete pass through with amazing internal damage. Speed kills!

I was wondering how many pages of the thread it would take until someone mentioned the 257 Weatherby

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts