Large caliber question

racerngr1

I'm looking for my new rifle caliber. For the last week, I've been set on getting an 700P in 338 LM but the more homework that I do on this caliber, I'm just not sure if I can afford the ammo even though I do my own reloading. Now I'm thinking of 338 Winchester Mag to go along with my 30-06 and .223 AR-15. I'm looking for a dual purpose rig to go out to 1000 yards with (not necessarily hunting) but also something with a little more stopping power than the -06. Thanks in advance.

Edit:
I've thought about the 300 WM a bit; however, I think it's too similar (based off of balistics charts) to my 30-06 to justify buying it unless I'm looking at it totally wrong.

Last edited:
I'm looking for my new rifle caliber. For the last week, I've been set on getting an 700P in 338 LM but the more homework that I do on this caliber, I'm just not sure if I can afford the ammo even though I do my own reloading. Now I'm thinking of 338 Winchester Mag to go along with my 30-06 and .223 AR-15. I'm looking for a dual purpose rig to go out to 1000 yards with (not necessarily hunting) but also something with a little more stopping power than the -06. Thanks in advance.

Edit:
I've thought about the 300 WM a bit; however, I think it's too similar (based off of balistics charts) to my 30-06 to justify buying it unless I'm looking at it totally wrong.
Why not look at the 300 RUM then? It's an 06 with a double dose of steroids.

I thought a lot about the .338 myself and decided it just doesn't offer anything I need unless I wanted to tep up to the big .338's such as the LM.

Other than perhaps large Grizzlies the .300 RUM is more than enough gun for any game N. America has to offer out to 1000yds or even beyond in the right hands.

As much as I like my 338LM, I have too agree with the above posts.

With the high BC 30 cals coming out they sure do take some beating.

Either way in regards to reloading costs, both probably similar.

OUTLAW really did nail though,and you dont even need to buy brass, neck em up!

300WSMMAD

The ballistics of the 338 RUM is equal to the Lapua if loaded normally and superior to the 338
win mag. It is easy to load, cost a lot less to by ammo or brass, requires a standard magnum
bolt face.

The 338 Lapua is superior in brass quality and toughness but it is expensive and requires a very
large ( .588 ) bolt face and poshes the .700 diameter bolts to there limits.

If I were to build another Lapua, it would be a 300 Lapua 40o Improved because the 338 RUMs
take care of my 338 needs.

Just an opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Go big or go home!!!! 338 Lapua Improved!!!! All of mine are called 338 Slowpoke's because my Smith is Speedy and I am Slowpoke.

Most of the 300grn SMK or berger loads are around 28-2850fps and the 338RUM will do that in a 28" barrel. So +1 on the rum. If you want big with the lapua bolt face go 338/378wby or 338 Excaliber.

338 RUM is a good choice.

As for your comment about the 300 Win Mag being too similar to the 30-06, I would simply caveat that a well built 300 Win Mag will reach out a good bit farther than the '06 with the heavier/higher BC 30 cal bullets.

The big 338's will do even better. But, with more recoil. Hence, you should consider using a good muzzle brake.

happy hunting!
richard

Almost sounds like you might be talking about two different rifles. You didn't mention what game would you may be going after? A rifle for 1,000 yard target work, deer or antelope could be as small as a 6.5 mm X 55, 260 like caliber. Long range hunting for Elk, Moose, brown bear is probably a different story and may not necessarily be the best caliber for target work. Personally, I'm not competent enough to shoot any animal past 400 yards with any confidence so, you may want to discount my opinion.

Nothing wrong with either of the win mags, but if you're looking for more, the advice to go .300 RUM is good. I'd stick with bullets 200 grains and up.

I think 338rum is the way to go for that size cartridge, especially on a budget. A 338win will kill elk size game at about twice the range of your 30-06. The 338win doesn't need a brake and can be handled out of a light weight rifle. It all depends on your needs.

My vote goes as follows in order, 270WSM w/150grn VLD or something similar, 338WM w/ 225 SST to 250VLD, 300WM w/ 200 to 230 VLD or A-max, 7RM w/ 168 or 180, 7WSM w/168/180 VLD or something similar (or 7SAUM).

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.