Question on caliber....

My brain says go with a 30-06 but my heart says to go with something a little less boring. But boring has killed plenty of animals. I would bet that with good shot placement, nothing inside of 500 yds would know the difference between a 30-06 and another fairly similar caliber....

If you're not going to reload, '06. As was stated earlier, another great caliber to consider is the 7 mag. Ammo is just as available as the '06, and your range potential is higher with higher BC bullets going faster.
I would think hard about stepping up to the .300. Recoil will be significantly greater, and it sounds like over kill for the use described.
If you're having a custom built, you may well want to take up reloading. You can tailor your loads to wring all the performance and accuracy out of your rifle.
I started reloading 38 years ago as a teenager because it was so much cheaper.

My brain says go with a 30-06 but my heart says to go with something a little less boring. But boring has killed plenty of animals. I would bet that with good shot placement, nothing inside of 500 yds would know the difference between a 30-06 and another fairly similar caliber....

Why don't you ask Darrell they do the schools on LR I'm sure he give you the right answer.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.