Best "large" calibers for shorter barrels?

OnCall605

I just got my first silencer/suppressor and am going to be buying shorter barreled rifles going forward. My question is, which calibers suited for mule deer and elk are best with a shorter barrel that you've found? I'm looking to keep barrel length to 20" on everything.

I'm interested in the 6.8 Western but lack of factory ammo and "good" brass has me nervous. Does anyone have any good comparisons between calibers using shorter barrels specifically at all?

I just got my first silencer/suppressor and am going to be buying shorter barreled rifles going forward. My question is, which calibers suited for mule deer and elk are best with a shorter barrel that you've found? I'm looking to keep barrel length to 20" on everything.

I'm interested in the 6.8 Western but lack of factory ammo and "good" brass has me nervous. Does anyone have any good comparisons between calibers using shorter barrels specifically at all?

6.8? I thought you said large calibers….large starts at 0.40" now. It used to start at 0.45" ….but, we've gotten soft in recent decades! memtb

Can't do it! My silencers are only rated for 300 win mag. LOL!
As in that's the most gas volume/pressure they can take? Or a matter of bore diameter itself?

If it's the first option the .35 calibers, while they kinda suck at any great distance, are all kinds of efficient for getting lots of bang for your buck, energy at the muzzle per grain of powder burned. And still much better trajectory than the .40+ calibers of similar case size.

I'm biased to what I already own…a 20 inch .358 Norma would kick all kinds of butt (I avoided the censor 😁😁😁😁) but might be pretty punishing.

.35 whelen. Heck the .358 Winchester does things it simply shouldn't with such a small powder charge.

If a suppressor can withstand .300 win blast it'll handle any of these options even better as the muzzle pressure will be lower on all of them.

I personally don't think it gets any better than Cody's build.

As in that's the most gas volume/pressure they can take? Or a matter of bore diameter itself?

If it's the first option the .35 calibers, while they kinda suck at any great distance, are all kinds of efficient for getting lots of bang for your buck, energy at the muzzle per grain of powder burned. And still much better trajectory than the .40+ calibers of similar case size.

I'm biased to what I already own…a 20 inch .358 Norma would kick all kinds of butt (I avoided the censor 😁😁😁😁) but might be pretty punishing.

.35 whelen. Heck the .358 Winchester does things it simply shouldn't with such a small powder charge.

If a suppressor can withstand .300 win blast it'll handle any of these options even better as the muzzle pressure will be lower on all of them.
Diameter.

Did I miss suppressor you have?? It will matter on the caliber

I think two of the top choices would be 300 WSM or 338 federal. Of course suppressor diameter will matter. Most magnum cases will be somewhat of a waste in short barrels. I'd stick with 308-based cases or a short mag. Of course it doesn't mean you can't pull a crazy Ivan and run a 338LM or something. You're just going to lose a lot in a magnum case as it needs barrel length to burn enough magnum powder to get into good velocities.