Best short barreled 6.5 caliber??

hwy1strat

So, I am looking to build a 22" barreled 6.5 hunting rig. I want the shorter barrel so it isn't too cumbersome with my suppressor on it. I really like the idea of the 6.5x284 but everything I read says that cartridge is best with a 28" barrel. Would the 6.5 PRC be a better option for the shorter barrel? The only criteria that I have is that there has to be good brass available for it. I have never dove into the world of forming my own brass, and I don't want to start. It can be a short or long action, I don't care. Any advice or insight will be greatly appreciated.

I had a 20" proof barreled 6.5 creed built, for the same reason. I love it. An there is endless quality factory ammo available. I think any short action 6.5 will do fine in a short tube.

I have a 22" barrel 6.5 CM Browning X-Bolt Pro. The X-Bolt Pro Long Range version comes with a 26" barrel.

NOW... if'n I wuz to do it again I'd get the Pro Long Range in 6.5 PRC, have the barrel cut to 24" and get it re-threaded for the thread cap and radial muzzle brake and to make it compatible with a can. The 6.5 PRC was not available when I bought my rifle.

That Browning X-Bolt Pro series is Browning's TOP of the line rifle. It has factory barrel lapping among many other custom features like a stainless barreled action, fluted barrel, bolt and bolt handle, carbon fiber stock and burnt bronze Cerakote on all metal surfaces and the stock. It is still, with all that, about $900. less than the very comparable SAKO Carbonlite rifle and, IMHO, has a slightly better trigger. That's saying a lot B/C SAKO is known for its very good triggers.

Eric B.

Yes, I reload. I already have a 6.5 creedmoor. I was hoping to get closer to 3000fps out of a 22" barrel, if possible. Right now, I am shooting 147gr ELDM at 2815fps out of a 26" barrel. I want this to be a long range deer rifle.

I am currently waiting on a 22" Proof chambered in 6.5x47 for a Remington 700 short action. If you are wanting to have a shorter length rifle it should be in a short action IMO. That is why i ended up going with the 47. It should be finished up any day now and I can't wait to get it in hand to see how it shoots. I ran through all the scenarios trying to decide the same thing that you are now and decided to go short all the way around if trying to cut length.

I'm doing about 2700 fps out of 2 22" 6.5x47 lapua. Son crushed a 400 pound bruin at 430 some yards last fall with a 140 vld to the shoulders. If a guy wants much more than that, reckon the PRC should get the call.

The SAUM, WSM, SS will all get you to 3000 fps with a 140 from a 22" barrel. I think the PRC and 6.5x284 will come up a little short, but probably still get to 2900+ fps without much trouble.

Since you want good quality brass and minimal case forming all of the short 6.5 mags will still fit the bill. They all offer formed brass or can be formed by simply running the brass into the appropriate die and you're done. The SAUM (or GAP) have brass from Nosler, Norma, ADG and Bertram and . The WSM has Nosler, Norma and Betram. 6.5x284 has Lapua, Nosler and Norma. The 6.5 PRC has Hornady and Bertram now with ADG coming soon. The SS has ADG.

If you want factory ammo that leaves you with the PRC.