Best Hunting Caliber that Fits a Short Action??

Bergerblaster

I'm building a 6.5 Creedmoor for NRL Hunter on a TL3 action. I would like one rifle that I can use for hunting and matches. Obviously 6.5 Creedmoor is not the ideal hunting cartridge. With the TL3 I can easily switch barrels, so trying to decide on a long range hunting caliber for a second barrel that will fit a short action. Looking at 6.5 PRC, 7 SS, 7 SAUM. I know short action is going to limit the performance on the 6.5 PRC and 7 SAUM. 800 yards is really my max range I would shoot hunting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I'm building a 6.5 Creedmoor for NRL Hunter on a TL3 action. I would like one rifle that I can use for hunting and matches. Obviously 6.5 Creedmoor is not the ideal hunting cartridge. With the TL3 I can easily switch barrels, so trying to decide on a long range hunting caliber for a second barrel that will fit a short action. Looking at 6.5 PRC, 7 SS, 7 SAUM. I know short action is going to limit the performance on the 6.5 PRC and 7 SAUM. 800 yards is really my max range I would shoot hunting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
See that is where you are wrong or you just don't know anything about cartridges.

The 6.5 creedmore is the ideal round. Not just for short action but of all time.

Haha you never know, there are folks that think the 6.5 Creed is a 1,000 yard elk killing machine.
I'm am screwing around. Lol
You are correct I once heard the guy at cabelas try and tell others the 6.5 creedmore was the perfect elk round as it has more accuracy and is the same at 1000k as a 300 win mag.

Anyway I do use mine for elk and big game but 800 is past my max range of 680 for my setup and bullet.
For 800 max I would 100 percent do a 6.5 PRC. Same bullets and will get you to elk at 800. If I had a switch barrel that is the route I would go.

All kidding aside, I would hope it would be sufficient at like, 500. Anyway, I'm hopefully acquiring some additional acreage soon and I should be able to reach out for whitetail much further than that. A PRC is on my list if the deal goes through.

what kind of game and to what ranges do you take the game on a yearly basis?

I would think 6.5,7ss. I built a 6.5ss and shot my doe at 480 with a 130tmk going 2850-2900. Low slow fire forming node. Deer is the first deer I have had drop in there tracks, and was the longest shot I have ever made too.