Best long range cartridge that fits in a Mark V

This was all that you needed to say to prove my point exactly. The rest of your post was like a politicial with a photo opt.

My point was, they may indeed be better, but in my opinion you don't need to kick the tried and true bullet to the curb. I have seen many "Leading edge" technology items loose races. The new pup may be faster on a hot track. But when the running is tough the old dog will follow through.

Nothing against the bullets, when my SMK supply gets closer to gone I may even try some. TIME will tell.

Jeff

Broz,

Facts sometimes sting a little bit. For my money and efforts, I would rather shoot the RUM case or the 338 Lapua variant with the HATS than to shoot the 300 SMK out of a much larger case and then still achieve lesser performance.

Another point that I failed to mentions is that the HATS could never have as many bullet FAILURES on game as the 300 SMKs either.... The equation works both ways due to the sheer volume of the 300 grain SMKs out there.......

They are not for everyone...... If you are sitting on a lot of 300 SMK bullets, you probably need to use them up before getting into something different.

I use my 300SMKs for practice since I know the clicks to go from one to the other. Very simple:

Dial in the 300SMK numbers and perform practice and then return the turrets to the HATS setting.

Then go hunting and have fun.

LV

But once again, what if you use the 338 Allen Mag with the HATs...

Agreed, why rule out the high bc bullets from the big boomers? If they work so well out of the smaller rifle, wouldn't they work even better out of the larger chambering?lightbulb

Steve

Lightvarmint,
Don't take offense, but as a bystander reading your posts gives me the impression you have a vested interest in the sucess of these "HAT" bullets. There is nothing wrong with that, I just want to know what your connection is with them so I can put your remarks in context. Could you please elaborate on your connection with these bullets. Thanks.
JIM

But once again, what if you use the 338 Allen Mag with the HATs...

Tyler,

My point exactly...... UNLESS you are using them in the bigger cases, you could be getting the same or better performance in a lesser casing.

Or, if you are not using them in the bigger cases, there are shooters who ARE getting better performance out of a lesser casing.

The comparison even works with the RUM cases as compared to the 338 Lapua cases.

Thanks for bringing it up.

LV

Agreed, why rule out the high bc bullets from the big boomers? If they work so well out of the smaller rifle, wouldn't they work even better out of the larger chambering?lightbulb

Steve

Hello,

The point is not to rule them out......... To get the most out of the bigger cases, one needs to use them.

The point is that unless you use them all the extra powder burned and expense to put the bigger gun together could be wasted resourses. Specifically, if you are not going to use them in the bigger chamberings, folks who do use them in the RUM cases are getting equal or better performance as opposed to those who choose not to use them.

Or even more succinct, why use a bigger casing to get lesser performance?

LV

Lightvarmint,
Don't take offense, but as a bystander reading your posts gives me the impression you have a vested interest in the sucess of these "HAT" bullets. There is nothing wrong with that, I just want to know what your connection is with them so I can put your remarks in context. Could you please elaborate on your connection with these bullets. Thanks.
JIM

Jim,

I have a lot of time invested in the testing of them (I am the official tester) and they are just the medicine the shooting sports need to get to the next level. I have spent a lot of time and my own ballistic resources helping RG get off the ground with his project. It is not very often one gets to be involved in the ground floor of something that is as significant as this will become...........

I spoke with a friend in PA last night that sold me his 1.75" diameter action because of the poor bullet selection he has to choose from. He has experienced the full spectrum of behavior of the SMK (ie blowing up umon impact to not expanding at all). His last kill was at 1500 yards and he was so disappointed in the 300SMK performance that he has decided to sell his long range shooting sticks..... This guy is no slouch in the long range game as he has set a "few" records in the long range matches up there.

I merely mentioned what I was going to do with the action and he jumped on it with both feet. He has seen what I have said before in that the 300 SMK is not consistent as they need to be upon impact. He has his cadre of guys up there ready for the HATS because they want something that will perform better than what they are currently using. He is actually somewhat Giddy about it.

These bullets are not magic, but they are closer to magic than the 300 grain SMK.

LV

Last edited by a moderator:
If you plan on traveling all over hunting with it I would do the 338-378 wby. I have already been this route for over thirty years building and shooting every big 338 out there that will fit your action. You will not beat the 338-378 in velocity and that is important with wind drift/time of flight. If you are in Alaska on a big hunt as I was and the airlines loses your bullets you go to the local store and buy your 338-378 bullets. Again very important. You have the top velocity in a standard cartridge you can buy bullets for in a pinch and not waste a hunt. All the popular big 338's are very accurate. I am quite dissapointed to learn now that after all the exceptional trophies I have taken since the 70's without missing a shot and the hundreds of thousands of big game animals taken all over the world for 60 years with weatherby's that the brass is no good. Brass is what you make of it during your preparation stages. I have many great shooting rifles and they shoot great with winchester, remington and weatherby brass. I wouldn't let talk of brass keep me from shooting the top rifle out there.

Can someone post a link for the HATS bullets? Or PM me. I'd like to at least know what the heck you guys are talking about..

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.