Best grain bullet for 300 RUM

I shot those Jensen bullets in a 300 Jarrett. I believe they were copper base about half the bullet length and bonded lead core up front. The shape and bc were about like the other bullets of that day. Very tough bullets for shooting thru the biggest animals.
The j26 was shaped a lot like a tipped matching. think you are right or close on construction never found anything tough to catch a 210. Some of them may still be in the air. They were 10x the cost of anything else at the time. I do remember that.

It would seem to me that it all depends on how tough and thick the al tip was. If it's solid al that might be an issue. If a hollow al tip I'd think you could easily make it tough enough to enjoy the ride and soft enough to easily crush upon impact. Those bullets could be made with a much bigger hollow point than yours. You may well be right if the tip is solid aluminum. I was visualizing a hollow al tip.

I guess we'll see if the super bulldozers open up on game or not.
Performance of old Remington bronze points was very erratic. I always thought that's why everyone went to plastic more so than costs. **** I am cold, but getting close to dark

The aluminum tips are solid in BP line of bullets. They have pictures of the tips recovered from game and from ballistics gel on their facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/1424284557876820/photos/a.1424713157833960/1916716885300249/?type=3&theater

They also picture a 260 grain .338 solid copper target bullet with a 0.898 G1BC. If it can be done with a copper solid it will be done with a copper hunting bullet. It's just a matter of who does it and when. https://www.facebook.com/1424284557876820/photos/a.1424713157833960/1837370306568241/?type=3&theater

Last edited:
Question is consistent predictable expansion. Corbin has had customers playing with this 25 years and no one has licked it yet in a hunting bullet to my knowledge. Back at camp with no tale to tell, but the fire sure feels good.

A note to the OP. Once you do pick a bullet for your RUM, do spend some time experimenting with cartridge OAL. There in quite a bit of freebore in a standard chamber. You will be limited to 3.6" OAL with a factory magazine if you want to shoot the gun as a repeater. Every rifle is different. Mine shoots best with 190ABLR @3.820"OAL. 3.84" touches the lands. Before you go the extended magazine route. Try different seating depths. You may or may not determine the difference matters enough to modify the rifle. I couldn't get my particular gun to shoot better than 3/4 groups with anything seated at mag length. Some factory loads shot this well. I found the seating depth before modifying the gun. It normally shoots less than 1/2" with the longer seating. That difference is worth it to me, and the groups are much more consistent. YMMV and chasing little things like this are just part of what makes handloading fun and rewarding.

The best bullet I have ever use with a 300RUM was the 180 Partition Gold made by Nosler and Winchester .I have use Berger 180,s and up ,Barnes,Swift and most any others you can name.None shot as good or performed as good as the Partition Gold Using 95.2 grains of Reloader 25 they clocked 3380 f.p.s out of a stock 700 Remington.1.5 inches at 500 M

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.