Best grain bullet for 300 RUM

I run 200 gr AB's with 95 gr of Retumbo, Rem Mag primers, 0.015 off the lands in a Nosler carrier. Same load for two RUM's with different barrel twists, so very forgiving. Only difference is distance from lands. One of the guns is a factory 700 that shoots them as good as my accurized 700 with custom barrel, 10 3/4 twist.

With 600y being the outside range I see more advantage to the 180g bullets than the heavies. We have loaded many 300 rums with the 181g Hammer Hunters and they will reliably run in the mid 3450fps +. This gives the ability to hold hair out to 400y with a 300y zero. Only a small adjustment at 600y. Pretty tough to beat this combo out to nearly 1000y. After 1000 then the heavy slow bullets will start to shine.

Some worry about close range with the fast bullets. A bullet like ours will not cause an issue. They will perform basically the same from the muzzle to 1800fps. No worries about blow ups at short range or being too hard for low vel impacts. Hammers will retain the same weight regardless of impact speed or shoot placement.

Fast flat guns are cool!

Steve

Hey Steve, have you considered selling sample packs of your bullets? Maybe several weights of a given caliber?

Hey Steve, have you considered selling sample packs of your bullets? Maybe several weights of a given caliber?
Yes. We have made the decision to have samples but have not had time to get them loaded on the site. Until we get them loaded on the site with the ability to calculate the appropriate shipping to location, I can manually create an order. Easiest way to do it right now is 15 bullets at half the price of a box of 50. This would include shipping. If you want to do several diff bullets at once we can figure out something that is fair.

Email me at [email protected] and I will get in touch to create the order.

Steve

With 600y being the outside range I see more advantage to the 180g bullets than the heavies. We have loaded many 300 rums with the 181g Hammer Hunters and they will reliably run in the mid 3450fps +. This gives the ability to hold hair out to 400y with a 300y zero. Only a small adjustment at 600y. Pretty tough to beat this combo out to nearly 1000y. After 1000 then the heavy slow bullets will start to shine.

Some worry about close range with the fast bullets. A bullet like ours will not cause an issue. They will perform basically the same from the muzzle to 1800fps. No worries about blow ups at short range or being too hard for low vel impacts. Hammers will retain the same weight regardless of impact speed or shoot placement.

Fast flat guns are cool!

Steve

Steve, what is the difference between your Hammer and Sledge Hammer bullets. To be honest, I would like to shoot or hunt out farther than 600y but I also need to be realistic as to where I hunt.

In all honesty, I don't shoot a 300RUM but I do shoot a 300WM, both in a hunting rifle and a target/long range rig.
When I started shooting F-Class with the 300WM, I was using 200gr Accubonds with a 30MoA rail to get me there comfortably. I also tried 208 A-Max. For LR hunting, I run the same bullet as I use for target.
Now I use 215gr Berger Hybrids exclusively in this rifle.

For HUNTING at normal ranges to 600yrds with my hunting rifle, I still use 180gr Accubonds for stalking where shots may run to 400yrds, but if I am hunting farm fringe where shots can run to 600+yrds, I always use 200gr Accubonds, unfortunately, this particular rifle doesn't like any Bergers, have tried most in it to no avail.

I have had some not so great results with the Berger hybrid hunters, not just in 30cal either, I found 2 230gr OTM's that failed to expand and were backwards where they came to rest, just as FMJ bullets always do.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
:)

I had a braked Mod 700/26" Shilen/Boyd laminate (slimmed and trimmed, checkered) 300 RUM made up for my Marine SIL's return from his 2nd sandbox tour, back in 2006. I also used a big charge ( I want to say 95gr) of Retumbo/Fed 215M/200 NAB. He changed out the scope later with a 6.5x20? Huskemaw and dialed it in. Blooded it on a big cow out a tad past 440yds. Complete pass through with silver dollar exit. "Myself" I think the RUM case calls for a 200gr, although...I "did" use the 180NAB from a 338 RUM on a big aoudad. Not as big as cow elk, but still one big, tough phlegmatic sheep! :)

My 300 RUM is a dedicated elk rifle. 230 gr Berger match target hybrid with H1000. Chose this bullet as many shots are close. Wasn't disappointed in the choice.

Won't win any velocity contests with its 24" barrel. 8.5 lbs, handy and has mashed many elk flat. Bullet always exits. None of the animals took more than a few steps.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.