Best 300 RUM Brass??

I would recommend giving Shawn Carlock @ Defensive Edge a call, Shawn is known for running at the front of the pack with the Edge. You should be able to get all the info you need about the Edge from him....

When I was looking at having an Edge built I jumped right out and bought 2 new boxes of Nosler brass. I was so proud of my shiny new Nosler brass until I was told the case heads were a little on the soft side and to not expect the primer pockets to last as long as the cheaper Remington brass. At this point I was no longer so proud of my shiny new Nosler brass. lol

Since Shawn is kinda the "go to person" for an Edge I asked him about brass and just like royinidaho said, Remington lasts as long or longer than the others and for less money.

When I was looking at having an Edge built I jumped right out and bought 2 new boxes of Nosler brass. I was so proud of my shiny new Nosler brass until I was told the case heads were a little on the soft side and to not expect the primer pockets to last as long as the cheaper Remington brass. At this point I was no longer so proud of my shiny new Nosler brass. lol

Since Shawn is kinda the "go to person" for an Edge I asked him about brass and just like royinidaho said, Remington lasts as long or longer than the others and for less money.

Thanks, that's the exact answer I was looking for, looks like I will stick with Remington brass, until Norma or Lapua decides they want to jump in and manufacture some.

I've been using Federal brass which is very uniform and can be reloaded many times. It was unavailable for some time but is listed again recently.

Federal brass over Remington anytime, IMO.

Super old thread but do you guys think this still rings true? I have some remington brass for my 300 RUM but was looking to purchase some more. I see Lapua and Norma both make 300 RUM now, sounds like they didnt in the past. The Lapua and Norma are close in price, remington is a fair bit cheaper and Honestly I dont mind paying if it will give me a better advantage. Some thoughts or experience here would be great to hear. I want to get all the same brand so if i buy lapua or norma I would be buying a whole new lot but again i am ok with that.

The .300 RUM case has about 8% more powder capacity than the .338 RUM and this gives the .338 Edge wildcat a slight "edge" over the standard .338 RUM. Powder charges vary from about 90 grains up to over 100 grains depending upon bullet weight.

Norma, Nosler make excellent.300rum brass.

I do not think Lapua is making 300 RUM brass yet (We have been suggesting that they do for a while). If the y do That would be my #1 choice. The Remington would be next. I have has great luck with Remington brass and hope that Lapua starts making it before all of my Remington brass wears out.

But until they do, any brass will work for the 300 rum if taken care of. Brass life is another thing that you will have to find out for your self depending on how you load. I also recommend annealing any brass before fire forming the first time (Many brass manufactures don't do a final annealing any more).

Norma would be my third choice.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Bertram is decent brass, but I do not think I'll buy it again for my 7stw... the belts were to shallow and the shoulders were on the minimum side. I actually had to neck all my brass to 30 cal and back down to 7mm as I had a couple of ftf's without doing so.
I have not tried any of their non-belted brass so I can not say the rum brass will need as much bench work as my stw brass did.

if you like the Remington ultra mag brass buy ADG brass. it is made buy the same people that designed and made it for Remington seems like most of remingtons old employees started ADG. the ones I tried measured and reacted just like the old green bag reloading brass. just load it like Remington not Bertram.

Thanks guys, i saw on midway usa lapua listed in 300rum, i think because i already have about 100 remington ill just stick with that. Its hard to get the right components here in Canada, midway wont ship here and not many of our dealers carry Lapua brass, i think its probably because of the price point. Remington seems to be available at most of our shops, i have had really good luck with remington brass. I was hopingnto get a few opinions on whether Remington was decent, so thanks to all for that. Appreciate it!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.