Best grain bullet for 300 RUM

I have a 300 n 375 RUM. If I remember right h1000, retumbo, rl 22 n 25, and imr7828. I have used sciroccos but there are so [beeep] expensive. I've got some 180g Barnes tripple shocks I'd give you a deal on. You want a harder constructed bullet in your RUM. I would suggest a bonded core bullet or a partition. Pound per pound a full load with a 180g bullet is the way to go with the 300

I am sure this topic has been spoken about before, but I am looking to get some feed back as to what the best grain bullet to use in a 300 RUM would be.

Shooting a factory Rem 700 with a 26" sporter barrel. Nothing fancy at all. Have shot factory Nosler 180 Accubonds through it to site in and shoots them okay. But I feel that hand loading will just allow the accuracy to be that much better. Just not sure if I should look to shoot a heavier bullet.

Lots of opinions out there on this round.

Thank you!
I had a rem 700 300 rum and I say if your don't plan on real long range I would try 150ttsx.
That's what I shot in mine at 3675fps and those things were lazer beams and grouped about 1/2 moa or better out to 800 yards which is as far as I shot it.

My Rem 700 300 RUM shoots the Barnes tipped triple shock 180 gr. bullets better than anything else I have tried.

I have a customer in Idaho who choose to run the 152g Hammer Hunter in his 300 rum. He wanted flat to 700y. He is running them at around 3700fps. I couldn't argue again his logic.

Steve

If your gonna run with the RUM go heavy, I shoot the 210 bergers in mine with 93 grains of retumbo. I tried h1000 but my accuracy node was way over pressured. I used the rem brass for a while then decided to go with nosler and I'm getting 1-2 more firings out of the brass, the bergers don't like to shoot to well unless there close to the lands, I had my mag well extended and used a Wyatt's follower that way it's not a single shot. I think a rum is a waste unless you run at least a 200 grain.

Steve, I've got to try some of your bullets next year. For now I have everything dialed in and set with 190ABLR. They shoot really well but do require an extended box magazine, in my rifle anyway. OAL is about 3.8" if memory serves. Have tried several bullets, but Retumbo and Federal primers have remained tops for bullets 180gr to 210gr for me so far. Haven't shot a lighter or heavier bullet than that. One thing I have learned is my rifle shoots better with any low drag bullet seated closer to the lands than a factory mag will allow and remain a repeater. I have a Wyatts box. With a factory magazine box I had better accuracy with a more traditional shape ie; 180 Swift Scirocco, 200 Nosler 200AB. Every rifle on the planet is different and YMMV.

Long range is defined by the individual. Depending on how far that is, there are different ways to get there. Fact is a rifle set up for the farthest possible shot will give up potential at shorter ranges to faster lower bc projectiles. When running big guns they have an incredible ability to get to 1000y with moderate weight decent bc bullets that fl flatout crush the big heavies.

Steve

Long range is defined by the individual. Depending on how far that is, there are different ways to get there. Fact is a rifle set up for the farthest possible shot will give up potential at shorter ranges to faster lower bc projectiles. When running big guns they have an incredible ability to get to 1000y with moderate weight decent bc bullets that fl flatout crush the big heavies.

Steve
I'm with you. Reason I'm shooting a bullet that is really too heavy for deer at 1k is past experience with tissue destruction. Super high velocity is fine unless you have an angle where you encounter heavy bone. The bone explodes and becomes secondary projectiles that can make a deer look like a rabbit shot with a swift. Your bullets may somehow get around this and if they do I'm all ears. Tack is evolving so rapidly experience may not be the best teacher but I am a good student.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.