Best copper solvent?

1+ on Warthog for both. Wipeout is good, but messy (for me), and some people like to use a separate carbon remover.

Bore Tech Eliminator for copper; Shooters Choice Blackpowder gel for carbon.

Warthog1134

The gunslick foam, to my surprise, worked better, substantially, over wipeout.

I thought my barrel was totally void of copper until I ran some Bore Tech Eliminator thru it yesterday. Definitely be using it from now on :)

At one time I used Shooter's Choice, then moved on to Butches Bore shine (which was better and faster then Shooter's Choice), now I use KG #1 for carbon, and #12 for copper. The combination works better then either Shooter's Choice or Butches Bore shine.

JeffVN

I started using janitorial grade ammonia and have not looked back. I follow it up with Ed's Red. Cleaning is so much faster and I only have to use patches; which I think is easier on the bore.

I know there is a lot of controversy about using janitorial ammonia for cleaning. I look at it this way; ammonia is ammonia and is harmful to the bore no matter what concentration is used if it is not completely removed after cleaning and followed up by a good rust preventative. So I don't see any more harm using a 10% concentration over a 7-8% concentration that is used in Montana Extreme and other name brand solvents.

I use a mixture of 2/3 shooter choice and 1/3 of the shooters choice copper removal. So far so good. Guy who built my gun recommended it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts