Copper Solvent and different barrels

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107796

Hey All,
I noticed this when I last cleaned these two rifles and thought I'd get some opinions on what causes this. The same number of rounds was put thru both before cleaning.

Win model 70 in 7WSM, and a Ruger American in 7-08, both with blued barrels. When I use the first sloppy patch of Hoppes Benchrest Copper Remover, I notice a big difference in the patch color. For the Win 7WSM, it is very bright blue and for the Ruger, it is more gray but way less blue. Can a difference in caliber, barrel hardness or a slight difference in barrel diameter, be causing this?

This old dog learned a new trick.
I've always used a sloppy solvent patch and let the barrel sit overnight as suggested by Hoppes Benchrest but his time I left it barrel down. It pooled the broken down copper and when finished, there was much less visible fouling. If you were to leave the barrel horizontal, I'd flip flop it a few times thru the soak to avoid a non uniform cleaning. In short, a coating is ok but a soaking is better.

The higher velocity probably affects it too
You better believe it. There's no way around it. High velocity smears copper. A newer barrel will be less noticeable than a barrel with 250 rounds fired.
I've been trying powders with copper removal properties. Cant see a big improvement with RL26 but N570 and RL23 seems to work better. Haven't shot enough 8133 to comment because I haven't seen any accuracy potential in anything yet.

Hoppes BR worked pretty good but Boretech Eliminator is much better.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.