Which Copper Solvent

DIRTY 30 RUM

I have a 257wby Mag and I run it a little warm. I primarily shoot light bullets for speed. 75 grn V-Max, 87 grn, & 85 grn Noslers. Now hear is my question. Which solvent should I use for copper. I currently use Sweets 7.62 & JB Bore cleaner. The gun still has the factory Barrel and yes you can see machine marks on it when it is finely clean. Cleaning the copper out is a real chore and takes hours to do. I know part of the problem is running over 4k on some loads. I would love to take the Mark V apart and put a new barrel on but it groups under 1/4 MOA @ 4150 Fps. Thank you for your replies.

Last edited:
Wipe Out Patch Out and Montana Extreme 50 BMG. use ME or Kleen Bore hard bristle brushes. those two are faster than anything else I have used and both will take out the carbon ring in front of the chamber throat.

They clean super fast and Yes I have a borescope so I know for a fact that they are clean.

BH

I used Sweets for years, then i discovered 50 B.M.G. thought it was the ticket untill Wipeout came along.I still use the 50 B.M.G. if i don't have alot of time to let the Wipe-out sit in the barrel.I use the Wipe-out Accelerator first then spray the Wipe-out foam in and let it sit over night,patch it out and thats it,no more brushing untill your arms sore.Then i run a patch with some Montana Bore Conditioner,i think the conditioner helps a little with the fouling.

+1 on Wipeout! If I'm in a hurry, I use Sweet's and apply it with a nylon brush. Keep the brush moving back and forth for about 30 seconds. This seems to make the Sweet's work much better.

Add me to the Wipe Out (w/ Wipe Out Accelerator) list. If you use two applications of Wipe Out, it is a good idea to roll the rifle over (scope down) before the second application. The bore foam tends to accumulate at the bottom half of the bore and cleans better there.

On a heavily fouled rifle I use 2-3 patches of Accelerator and then let the foam sit for an hour or so. Then push out the gunk with a clean patch before reapplying Accelerator and foam. I let this application sit over night.

The whole process takes only a few minutes to apply and requires no elbow grease or brushes which many shooters worry will degrade the quality of their crown.

I am another wipeout/accelerator convert, only downside is it takes at least an hour soak to work well and the longer the better. But it is hands down the best at getting copper out. I soak for an hour or two then flip and let sit for another hour or two.

I love Wipeout w/ Accelerator, but I just bought the new "patchout" so I wont have to deal with the foam. Just mix accelerator & Patchout 50%-50% and patch or mop it down the barrel.

I'll post results after I clean.

Put me on the Sweets List. I use it on my rifles and done properly it works great. It just takes more patience but cleaning my rifle is my Zen so its not an issue of time for me. :)
Lucas

Thank you guys for all the replies. I love to shoot that gun, but man it is a real pain to clean. With the foam do you need to remove the powder first or just put the foam in a let it do its deal? Once again thank you.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.