Best caliber for shooting 500 to 2000 yds?

So, question? I see the discussion about the amount of travel needed to get to 2000 yards.

Full disclosure that is the furthest we have been and only a couple of times. Trying to push it to 2200 (1.25 miles), but finding a place to do it here in Alabama and Tennessee is proving difficult. We have a place to shoot at 1250 and 1500 fairly regularly. 6-8 times a year and shoot to 600 probably once or twice a month. To practice we shoot 22LR at 300 yards.

Here's the question? What do you feel like you need to get to 2000 - 2200? ( I think practically speaking 2200 is about the limit for the weekend warrior with standard cartridges and ammo without stepping up to designer bullets and the ubermagnums.) So assuming the 338 Improved is the upper limit. What are we putting on top of it?

The goal here is not just to hit the target but to do it consistently. If it takes you more than 5 shot to make contact at that range were you really successful? Once you make contact is it repeatable? Can you do it again and again? One of the ranges we shoot 1250 at if you miss twice you have to go back to 600. Once you check your dope you can try one more time, if you miss your done, if you hit and miss twice your done for the day. Three strikes your out. That would also apply in real world applications or competition. Rarely will you ever get a second or even third shot much less a fourth or fifth. Can you do it cold bore? And what size target are we talking about? For that range 18-24 inches? Can't say that anything bigger would apply as success? Can you? At the end of the day everyone has to determine this for themselves. The same range that won't let you miss more than 3x requires you to hit a 12" plate in order to proceed to the next distance.
For me I am pretty comfortable to 1500, it is fairly easy with the 338 (I have done it cold bore on an 18" silhouette), 2000 not so much. That 500 yards extra makes a huge difference, like taking a 22 from 300 to 400 or 500.

Any how just some ravings of a ballistics nut with a few lose screws!🤣 But really I don't mean to hijack this thread but we've covered the caliber fairly well, something in 338 I think is the consensus. But there is so much more to it than that. Optic set up being one? And what success is being another?
Same...338 Lapua/Lapua Improved

My thoughts exactly!
The wind is in our favor today !

Rum Man
I'd probably meet you out there if you just wanted to attempt a trip back there to locate some target spots this weekend. Even next week depending on your schedule. I'm retired so pretty much good any day. Weekends for me are kinda chore days but I could find a slot either weekend day

What caliber is going to be the most consistent, easiest, cheapest to target shoot (not hunting) in the 500 to 2000 yds. Range?
Thanks!
338 Lapua it is not a wildcat it is somewhat expensive because it is very large and consumes quite a bit of powder etc. but it's nothing crazy expensive it is readily available and it has the weight to carry out to the distances you speak of

Do you reload? That would mostly take "cheapest" out of the equation.

If you're buying ammo, maybe 300 win mag? I haven't paid attention to ammo prices for a few years.

My 6.5 creed does fine at a mile, but haven't gone further than that. I'd sling it at 2k, but I know my numbers and its going real slow by then. A PRC, either 6.5 or 300 would be better.

If my main goal were targets at 2000 with factory available ammo I would go with the 300 PRC. There are better options if you want to reload or go custom or wildcat or something, but the easy button is a hornady supported magnum. A 300 win mag or 7 mag would work just fine too, and like I said, may have cheaper ammo.
Out to 2000 in my opinion you have to think bigger!

Well I have taken a 300 Rum with 230 bergers out to 1 mile (1760 ) yrds. On a milk jug !
Then my 338 Edge out to 3027 yards (1.72 miles ) 300 gr.berger on steel !

I do agree about the bigger Comment!
Maybe a 375 in my future ! I have my eye on one now !
2 mile is still on my bucket list !!

Rum Man

my one shooting buddy shoots a 300 PRC . he has hit at 2050 yards , but not as consistent as the 338 lapua . I'm not sure what bullet he's shooting . it's definitely hand loaded ammo .
I have seen some great results with a 300 prc and the 245 bergers !

Rum Man