Looking for someone to teach me to shoot 1000 yds in Texas

30+ lb 338 on bags w/300 gr smk or bergers. not much bs. Only way to wound a tx whitey with that setup is if you blow a toe off . Solid body hit=dead. Yes even back of diaphragm or hindquarters. No animal with a 5 gallon bucket hole in it is goin far or living long.

I just got back from a cow elk hunt in New Mexico at the Mescalero Apache Reservation and the guy running the show and guides where so mad at guys going out trying in there words ( DAMMED LONG RANGE HUNTING STUFF) to shoot a cow elk at long range wounding it then not finding it then moving on to another one. They where cussing long range hunters so bad that i didn't even say a thing about my plans and waited till no one was around to check my rifles 0 so they would not see my rig. All it take is one DA to start problems for every body else. DON'T BE THAT PERSON!!!
People that talk n think like you and act like them and probably youthe way this sounds. is what give this long range stuff a BAD BAD NAME WE DON'T NEED . AND YES YOU CAN WOUND A WT DEER WITH A 338 AT ANY RANGE. it will die but finding it may be another story that give us a bad name.

We would like to start offering long range hunts on our ranch, 1000 yds if possible. We would like to find someone who could teach us to do it and possibly day contract to teach our hunters. Does anyone think this is possible to learn in a day? Ranch is in Junction, TX.

NO i don't think it can be learned in a single day. the basics maybe. But not for someone to try and learn LRH and shoot an animal at a 1000 that quick. If you want to run long range hunts and teach them how to do it you better get ready for a LOT OF WOUNDED ANIMALS. And then problems on charging for a lost animal cause as the teacher/outfitter its now your fault they wounded the animal. Just a problem that could come up if you asked to be payed for a wounded animal. You could allow long range hunting after some one qualified on a range r something like that. But trying to teach someone to shoot long range and go try to kill a animal at long range all in a day r even weekend doesn't sound to smart to me.
I allow long range hunts for hogs and varmints on my ranches but not for white tail the only way i would allow this is if i knew the person and there shooting abilities. I don't want the headaches or the wounded deer running off dieing. Just not a good idea.

I just got back from a cow elk hunt in New Mexico at the Mescalero Apache Reservation and the guy running the show and guides where so mad at guys going out trying in there words ( DAMMED LONG RANGE HUNTING STUFF) to shoot a cow elk at long range wounding it then not finding it then moving on to another one. They where cussing long range hunters so bad that i didn't even say a thing about my plans and waited till no one was around to check my rifles 0 so they would not see my rig. All it take is one DA to start problems for every body else. DON'T BE THAT PERSON!!!
People that talk n think like you and act like them and probably youthe way this sounds. is what give this long range stuff a BAD BAD NAME WE DON'T NEED . AND YES YOU CAN WOUND A WT DEER WITH A 338 AT ANY RANGE. it will die but finding it may be another story that give us a bad name.
Uhhhh if you hit a whitey in the body with a 300 smk and you can't recover it you should work on tracking skills a lot more than shooting skills or internet flaming skills. Sounds like you maybe havent seen hundreds die from those rounds. I know its not popular to downgrade shot placement etc but a 338 at 1k and less is just a nasty deal and I have seen hundreds of stuff killed that could have lived with a 300. Is it possible to lose one? Sure. Also possible at 10 yds.
Also reading comprehension might help.
I stated that with a spotter a 1000 yd kill is easy for the SHOOTER and not the person who built the system to do it with.
I can take any one who can pull a trigger and put them on a railgun with my data calls and whack deer at 1000 yds. Teaching someone to do it themselves in my opinion is impossible anyway. LRH done right is a team sport.
I would never have stated what I stated anywhere else but here where I expect members to be aware of what is possible with a good spotter and system.
And yes I am terrified of the weekend warriors with FACTORY AMMO and drop charts taped to a sendero who are griping about the cost of 3 whole boxes of some premium ammo.
Both of my posts were meant to convey the fact that a person with a qualified spotter and VERY specialized system can kill stuff reliably at 1k.
As long as the spotter knows his stuff and the weapon/data/equipment are on then killing at 1k is nothing for the shooter. Shooting is easy. Calling a shot and developing the system and equipment to do it is not.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.