Scopes for 2000+

LR3

I've been trying out scopes for 2000 to 2400 at 20" steel. I have used 5-25 S&B for 375snipetac with satisfaction to about +1000 and it's great. But for Kirbys 375 AM stretching it to 2400 I ve tried S&B 12-50. At Kirbys recommendation by zero is quite far out (Kirby was using a nfs 5-25 on it to one mile). The problem is the spacing of the S&b reticule is in mil and that is not fine enough and the moa turret range is not enough. I m going to try a Ior Terminator 12-52 with moa on a new build. What scopes are you using for one mile plus?

I have been using the Night force NXS 5.5-22 power with Npr2 ridicule. I have shot it out to 3500 yards with my cheytac. I could spot impacts with out a problem. The conditions were very dry and I could see the dirt or rocks 'splash".

I currently use a US Optics 5-25X SN3 on my various long range rigs. So far I have used them with sucess out to and beyond 2,100 yards. I am using 18x24 steel plate (and occassionally a 11.5x17 Larue - yeah its not any easy hit at those distances) and calling my own impacts based on visible splash.

Jeffvn

US Optics and Night force seem to be the de facto standard. I use a night force as it's the most scope I can afford. I like the EREK knobs and 58 mm Objective of the US Optics just cant afford it. Recently a company called IOR has gotten my attention. Wish I knew someone who had one supposedly Schmidt and Bender Glass quality with Nightforce toughness for less that 1700 bucks. If That is true I know what my next scope will be.

Also the SWFA SS HD line is supposed to be outstanding glass it's at the 1k-1.4k Price point, along with the MK4's Weaver Tactical etc.

If you got the cash a S$B would serve very well.

It all comes down to what you've got to spend. gun)

Is no one using premier reticles. My smith seems to swear by them but all I ever hear about it the night force or USO scopes.

I ve been told Premier went out of business but they were modified S&Bs. I had them do a reticle for me but had to send it to S&B for replacement.

No they are still around unless the went out in the last couple of months. I seriously thought about one when my smith recommended them but couldn't justify the 500 plus extra for the scope when night force has such a good reputation

I have used the 5.5~22 NXS, 8~32 NXS and a 6~24 IOR all past a mile and many times past 2000 yrds.

I graduated from the 5.5~22 NXS to a 8~32 NXS and then back to the 5.5~22. The 32X was nice if mirage was not bad but the loss of fiels of view on 32 X and the loss of 35 moa of elevation was not favorable at all.

The IOR 24 X had some very clear glass and the MP-8 reticle was awesome as far as the floating dot was concerned. I wish Nightforce would offer this type floating dot with a 1 moa graduated reticle. The down side to the IOR I was using was that it was a non zero stop and only 70 moa of elevation. I had an issue with one and they gladly replaced it. So IOR does stand behind their products.

I guess I will remain a happy 5.5 ~ 22 Nightforce user with the 100 moa and a RP-R1 reticle. That is until they come out with a NXS with an upper power of about 28, 150 moa of elevation and a floating dot reticle like the MP-8 with 1 moa hash marks. :rolleyes: I know wish away right..:)

Jeff

[QUOTE=Broz

I guess I will remain a happy 5.5 ~ 22 Nightforce user with the 100 moa and a RP-R1 reticle. That is until they come out with a NXS with an upper power of about 28, 150 moa of elevation and a floating dot reticle like the MP-8 with 1 moa hash marks. :rolleyes: I know wish away right..:)

that sounds like an awesome scope. I agree Im a 5.5x22 night force NP-R1 fan

Is no one using premier reticles. My smith seems to swear by them but all I ever hear about it the night force or USO scopes.

I have a Premier reticle 5-25 in Gen 2 XR reticle. It is in mils. It has comparable of 100 moa adjustment and reticle is in first focal plane and stays SMALL as heck on highpower. I can see down to the 8 mil dot on highpower so that is another like 28 moa unless im doing my math wrong. that gets you 128 MOA if you put on a 50 moa base.

It seems like the magnification isn't true 25 power.

I have mine on a 50 BMG and have been working up loads for it. Going to go and let her stretch this weekend. I have "viewed" lots of "stuff" out to 3200 yards.

One thing ive noticed is that my eye never gets tired looking thru it at all. Nice glass and nice features.

BIG scope but i dont care its on a 50. I wouldn't put it on your model 7 remington and carry it up a hill matter of fact i wouldn't put it on my 7mm browning a bolt.

34mm rings - need to consider that. I use Ken Farrells. They have cool new ring levels too.

I have it for some elk we can't get to without spooking on a ridge out to 2500 - mostly 2000 yards and a little less.

I got mine for $2700. If you want to know where at PM me and ill tell you. Still for sale there but Mils. I shoot both MOA and MILS so doesn't matter.

Didn't God give us 10 fingers so its easier to calculate mils in your head?:D

I will buy more.

Hey NXS fans I've got good news! I've been resaerching the perfect reticle to meet my needs and just could not find THE ONE. Like some of you the NP-R1 was close but not perfect. I love the 1MOA subtensions on the vertical but don't understand why you would not also prefer 1MOA on your horizontal? Then along came the new MOAR reticle to not only solve that problem but includes a floating crosshair! For me this reticle is the best I've found but still not quite perfect. That is until I emailed NightForce to ask them why I can't have all those features in a FFP scope? They told me to watch there website because that exact scope is in the works right now!!! Sounds like heaven to me! For you stuck on the NP-R1 I have to ask why you prefer it over the MOAR? They both have 20MOA below the crosshair. I've never shot past 1000yds so what am I missing?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.