Best 7mm out there now

I probably shoot loads that are too hot, but the accuracy is there and SD is very low, brass does not last very long in some of these loads, 7 RM is what I am speaking of in Rem brass with R#25 with Win Mag primers, 150's at 3200-3250 depending on the barrel, 150g Nosler and 154g Hornady all shoot bug holes. When the powder charge is lowered, accuracy goes to heck with the only powder charge that shoots 1/3" and less accuracy is one that is on the very top end of the pressure curve.

There is another load with 140s in the 7 Rem Mag with 140s doing darn near 3300 with R#19 in win brass with Fed 215s that is very, very warm, and another with IMR 4350 at 3250 that will shoot tiny bug holes with 140g ballistic tips.

Orkan, I am going to watch all of your videos, I am sure that I can learn a lot, and I appreciate your putting the time and effort into teaching with the videos.

I know that there are huge differences in the strength of actions, bolt heads in particular.

I like to use cartridges where I can keep 500 pieces of new brass on hand, or make a wild cat from decent parent cases that are plentiful.

It's great to continue to learn where I can improve my reloading practices. Greg has done more testing with the best equipment and analytical approaches than any one I can think of here. Obviously not everyone will ever go to these lengths to enjoy the world of shooting and reloading. I certainly won't, but every incremental improvement I can take away from learning from those vastly more experienced than me is a win.
Now back to the best 7mm….
280AI - I like it for the efficiency and just plain ole pleasure in shooting it. The SAUM also gets a nod because I like big butts. 😂
It's obvious he has knowledge, no one is saying he doesn't. But to go though all that on a hunting rifle that gets fired 3-5 times a year is not needed. That's what I was getting at. When my groups open up or primer pockets get loose I know what to do. Untill then I'll fire away like most. My rifles are all sub moa without starting another ****ing match and I'll leave it at that. There's a bunch of different 7mm and 99% of them do what the owners want or they wouldn't own them.

Just because you call something an "opinion," doesn't mean it isn't a truth indeed.

You and whoever, can decide to not care about that truth. I have no issue with that. While there may be lots of ways to do things acceptably within the confines of what someone wants, there's only ever one way that will deliver the best results. That's a big distinction for those that do care.

I'm trying to be cordial, helpful, and genuine to the best of my ability, and you want to be rude? Very well. I won't make the mistake of trying to help you again. If I forget that, be sure to remind me of this post if I ever interact with you on anything in the future.

Thankfully I know for a fact there are those looking on that will NEVER post here that are very thankful of the information.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Dumpster.gif

I use three because I don't want to rely on a possible anomaly of one sample. And, three gives me additional information like how the accuracy is progressing…just the way I do it.
That was my thinking also, check accuracy along the way. But I've usually stuck with accurate loads and reasonable velocities. Especially with high BC bullets.

I use three because I don't want to rely on a possible anomaly of one sample. And, three gives me additional information like how the accuracy is progressing…just the way I do it.

Same here…..three, for some of the same reasons!

I used to do 5, but I'm also a cheap son of a gun and hate to lose valuable components. I also go up in small increment (1.0 grains) once I know that I'm getting pretty close! memtb

….and the Max for a little more.
Mega seems like a LOT more
Yeah, I built my 7SS and 7 Mega on a XM action. Skipped over the Max. Just didn't see the point. But I did just build a 28 Sherman Mag. About 125 FPS faster than my 7 Practical. I never heard of a 7-300 Norma… got me intrigued

I'd say 3250fps is by internet standards, easy.

You have to remember that the vast majority, (and I'm talking probably 98%) of people are running their loads too hot. Probably over 90% of people here live in the suburbs. So they can't find pressure correctly without taking loading gear to the "range" and most won't do that.

I'd say 3100 with a 195 is more realistic in 7NMI's. If you want more than 15 firings on your brass, and you want it to shoot really small... rather than "just good enough," then that's more like where you operate. If you're part of the dump the brass on the ground after 3-5 firings crowd... then yeah, it will hit 3250 with a 195 easily.

The closest thing to it in performance is the 28 nosler... but obviously the 7NMI is super stable and easy to deal with in comparison. Lapua brass wins the day with these big cartridges. Big claims always on this site and others. Yet there isn't a week that goes by that I don't hear from someone that has been hoodwinked by posters here regarding velocity claims from cartridges. When someone knows how to find pressure properly, things come back down to reality really quickly.

I run mine at 3100'ish. It's like a big giant BRA at that speed. Most accurate and precise big 7mm I've ever played with that will deliver small results session after session and doesn't have to be chased around or worked at to stay on top of. My 7 PRC Primal's will beat it out in raw accuracy/precision, as they are so much easier to drive... but there is no substitute for the 7NMI when it comes to going out to play in the wind.

I'm thinking of running some 166 Atip's really fast in a 7NMI this next season. :)

Who cares? Most good things we shoot today never had headstamped cases.

Until they did.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Usually their next thread is something like... why is my brass not chambering well?? or why am I getting "clickers" on the second firing.
I'm running my 7stw at 3350 fps with a 140 and my 7rum at 2900 fps with a 175. I could probably go faster with either, especially the 7rum, but they hit hard and put meat on the table as far as I'd care to shoot, so why would I beat the rifles up by running them harder? I've posted pressure graphs on the site from my old Sendero in 7mmstw before. I was running 3400 fps with a 140 safely, and the 150 factory at 3400'ish fps was actually a bit over pressure in that rifle.
You could double the case capacity of the 7stw and you would only get to 3800 fps with a 175-180, assuming enough barrel length and slow enough powder... The powder part isn't going to happen with current tech., as the slowest things available to us are already usable in the 7stw and 7rum.

As to the O.P.'s ?, I'd think hard about getting into a 7stw or 7rum.

Recent Posts