Best 7mm out there now

I can agree with this, it makes sense to me. I could even see loading two or three cases and doing this. Especially if people are pushing the envelope. Could save the brass and possibly the rifle.
Nah, it isn't like you'd run this on the redline.

Bottom line, if you fire one time and you get heavy bolt lift on your first firing... that charge is so over-pressure it isn't even funny. To plastically deform the case right out of the gate in factory condition... takes a proof load. There are people here advocating loads every single day that do that. They think because their gun didn't come apart and their primer pockets can still hold a primer, it's fine.

Yet due to the nature of brass... it will do that for 5, 6, 10, who knows how many firings...

So the idea here, is you don't even consider running a load that produces heavy bolt lift within 10 firings, with your sizing die in the original location set for .002 of bump on the first firing where the case won't actually go back into the rifle without tension on the bolt. NOT BEFORE. So then you'll actually detect plastic deformation of the brass when it happens.

It's completely pointless to do it with 3 cases. If the ONE case gives up too early, then you already know you're running too much pressure, and you lower your load and try again with a new piece. Then too, when doing this properly... cases will go 50, 80, 120 firings. Since literally no one was actually doing this until I instructed on it the first time on my youtube channel... I'd recommend sticking with the method I've developed. Then you'll keep your cases healthy across the batch, and consistent from firing to firing.

Could be. Guess I'll never know 😂. So untill you bring your fancy one down I guess I'm still gonna go off what the chrono says.
You can just go run it at distance. You'll know for sure if it's off if you go out to true up a kestrel or something.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I can see the validity in using either method. Using one case might be too small a sample. But using more cases means it's possible to put more wear and tear on the rifle. I tend to be more conservative these days, all part of getting old I guess lol.
I use three because I don't want to rely on a possible anomaly of one sample. And, three gives me additional information like how the accuracy is progressing…just the way I do it.

Nah, it isn't like you'd run this on the redline.

Bottom line, if you fire one time and you get heavy bolt lift on your first firing... that charge is so over-pressure it isn't even funny. To plastically deform the case right out of the gate in factory condition... takes a proof load. There are people here advocating loads every single day that do that. They think because their gun didn't come apart and their primer pockets can still hold a primer, it's fine.

Yet due to the nature of brass... it will do that for 5, 6, 10, who knows how many firings...

So the idea here, is you don't even consider running a load that produces heavy bolt lift within 10 firings, with your sizing die in the original location set for .002 of bump on the first firing where the case won't actually go back into the rifle without tension on the bolt. NOT BEFORE. So then you'll actually detect plastic deformation of the brass when it happens.

It's completely pointless to do it with 3 cases. If the ONE case gives up too early, then you already know you're running too much pressure, and you lower your load and try again with a new piece. Then too, when doing this properly... cases will go 50, 80, 120 firings. Since literally no one was actually doing this until I instructed on it the first time on my youtube channel... I'd recommend sticking with the method I've developed. Then you'll keep your cases healthy across the batch, and consistent from firing to firing.

You can just go run it at distance. You'll know for sure if it's off if you go out to true up a kestrel or something.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

We'll take it for what it's worth. Running my fps and all my info in my drop app it is spot on. So maybe my app and chrono are both off. But when the yardage calls for 10 moa I dial 10 and it hits. It's a hunting rifle and I'm not building rifles to sell to the public. It works great for what it was built for. Could our reamer differences change the point when one of us hit pressure?

Personally, on a hunting rifle, I value performance above all.
To me that means velocity and accuracy, within safe limits of course.

If a case only lasts 6-8 firings shooting fast heavy .264, 284 or .308 calibers yet my goal is met, I celebrate. Or 5 firings.

Case life of 15 firings is for some other kind of cartridge, like small or mild ones. Neither are interesting for the most part. But I use .257 for what a lot of people do with .224

Personally, on a hunting rifle, I value performance above all.
To me that means velocity and accuracy, within safe limits of course.

If a case only lasts 6-8 firings shooting fast heavy .264, 284 or .308 calibers yet my goal is met, I celebrate. Or 5 firings.

Case life of 15 firings is for some other kind of cartridge, like small or mild ones. Neither are interesting for the most part. But I use .257 for what a lot of people do with .224
I agree.

I really like the 7 PRC's that I have shot recently. Now if you can get a 7 SAUM or 7 SS built with a medium length action, so you are not constrained to seating bullets to mag length or a standard short action COAL they are just as good.
….and the Max for a little more.
Mega seems like a LOT more

Recent Posts