Best 7mm case for 162gn eldx

Regardless... Read what he said and read my post again... Unless you're stating that none of that matters because it's 2018... Morons don't have any reading comprehension and intelligence, in which case, I might be able to concur with you... Because liberals and Democrats do the same thing.
What I meant was that even as recently as 2000, you pretty much had to test them against the side of a hill.
And it was usually agreed that the one landing higher on the hill was the better one. Sorta like a drag race, and there were no queens, just kings.
But this being a new era, all thats changed, and weve learned that 3200 with a 162 is actually better than 3400 with a 162 all things considered including fairness to the queens. lol
Im wondering how many actually know where the 180 lands on the hill compared to a 162?

Best case for 7mm 162gr?

On a Winchester short action, 7saum or WSM ~3.1" oacl.

On a Remington long action, 280/ai/Sherman. ~3.5oacl

In a 3.34" mag well, hmm. Those ELD's like to be up close and personal to the rifling. Be sure to consider the whole system - magazine/OACL and chambering/CBTO.

Custom mag well or single shot? In that case it's simple - whatever brass is most plentiful, high quality and inexpensive.

To me the 162gr suggests itself as a 600-800yd vehicle, and 2900-3100fps will get it there with energy to spare.

As others have said, for longer range, consider a heavier bullet (and bigger case).

I think the individual is the biggest variable of them all. We all like to accumulate facts which support our own biases. Few people are capable of making truly rational, logical decisions. For most of us decisions are emotional and facts become useful in supporting the decisions we make.

So, emotionally, do you like to burn as much powder as possible? Or as little as required? ;)

Empirically, I'm not sure the OP's question is answerable, but great discussion nonetheless!

Ummm... WHAT???

First off, the 7mm-08, 280/.280 AI, and .284 Win or .284 Norma, are NOT magnum cartridges.

Secondly, how are they overkill?

Thirdly, what do you mean when you say "running out of height with an AI cartridge"?

Fourth, AI cartridges don't improve case length, so how would you run out of mag length any more so than with a regular cartridge. It actually allows you to fit more powder in the case at the same seating depth with LESS compression.

5th, please explain how your magnum bolt face 7 PRC is not a magnum, yet, the others are?
Mud, I edited my post to try and help you understand my post. I'll try extra hard to help pull you along in the future.

Best case for 7mm 162gr?

On a Winchester short action, 7saum or WSM ~3.1" oacl.

On a Remington long action, 280/ai/Sherman. ~3.5oacl

In a 3.34" mag well, hmm. Those ELD's like to be up close and personal to the rifling. Be sure to consider the whole system - magazine/OACL and chambering/CBTO.

Custom mag well or single shot? In that case it's simple - whatever brass is most plentiful, high quality and inexpensive.

To me the 162gr suggests itself as a 600-800yd vehicle, and 2900-3100fps will get it there with energy to spare.

As others have said, for longer range, consider a heavier bullet (and bigger case).

I think the individual is the biggest variable of them all. We all like to accumulate facts which support our own biases. Few people are capable of making truly rational, logical decisions. For most of us decisions are emotional and facts become useful in supporting the decisions we make.

So, emotionally, do you like to burn as much powder as possible? Or as little as required? ;)

Empirically, I'm not sure the OP's question is answerable, but great discussion nonetheless!
As far as facts and opinions go, there is no better way to gather them than live mountainside testing.
Sitting behind them while looking thru (good) large tripod mounted binnoculars as they are being shot at long and extreme distances will change lots of preconceived thoughts and opinions.
Regardless of the cartridge being used, velocity is always the winner in long range, and there is only one way to get there.
None of us enjoy recoil, buying powder, or brass and barrels, but thats the price for top performance.
As good as cartridges like the 280 and 7 Rem mag are, they cant compare with the larger case 7mms at the longer distances with any bullet choice, and for one reason, velocity, and we either accept that or we accept less as for l/r performance.
I have myself said there comes a time to move on, and thats the point here. But that point is well beyond the distance stated above with the large 7mms using 162s. Rather, the time to move on is when deciding to use heavier bullets in them because of velocity loss when doing so.
3400+ with 190s or heavier is certainly doable, but not with a 7mm, and it requires powder, not BC numbers or tap dancing with a different case shape in order to get there.

As far as facts and opinions go, there is no better way to gather them than live mountainside testing.
Sitting behind them while looking thru (good) large tripod mounted binnoculars as they are being shot at long and extreme distances will change lots of preconceived thoughts and opinions.
Regardless of the cartridge being used, velocity is always the winner in long range, and there is only one way to get there.
None of us enjoy recoil, buying powder, or brass and barrels, but thats the price for top performance.
As good as cartridges like the 280 and 7 Rem mag are, they cant compare with the larger case 7mms at the longer distances with any bullet choice, and for one reason, velocity, and we either accept that or we accept less as for l/r performance.
I have myself said there comes a time to move on, and thats the point here. But that point is well beyond the distance stated above with the large 7mms using 162s. Rather, the time to move on is when deciding to use heavier bullets in them because of velocity loss when doing so.
3400+ with 190s or heavier is certainly doable, but not with a 7mm, and it requires powder, not BC numbers or tap dancing with a different case shape in order to get there.
I'll have to correct you on one thing here. Velocity is not "it" by any means in the long range game.

I'll take accuracy over velocity any day for LR because with all of our outstanding high tech devices have made doping and dialing an exact or near exact science over what it was years ago.

The game isn't going to notice 100 or even 200fps difference when the bullet hits as long as it's in the right spot.

I'll have to correct you on one thing here. Velocity is not "it" by any means in the long range game.

I'll take accuracy over velocity any day for LR because with all of our outstanding high tech devices have made doping and dialing an exact or near exact science over what it was years ago.

The game isn't going to notice 100 or even 200fps difference when the bullet hits as long as it's in the right spot.
Well id concede to a point on your comment.
Certainly accuracy is very important, but lets not just assume that less speed always gives better accuracy either. 100 fps isnt a big deal as that much is possible between those having big cases. That type discussion is for those who are considering a 280AI and maybe (almost) have a 7 Rem Mag without using as much powder.
Im all for that type thing, but lets not get confused into thinking we can have all the cake and still enjoy eating it because we cant.
We can only have a taste, but if thats enough for us then thats fine also.
The accuracy issue as far as long range hunting is concerned could easily be a topic in itself.
Accurate rifles are only a part of that equaision, and id argue not the only part, and certainly not the most important part.
Our camp in NC PA has been hunting whitetails by using that method exclusively for almost 50 years.
Its always been a bucks only camp for everybody including kids. Over those years at least 1/3 of the bucks taken at long range have been by young kids
or inexperienced adults never having shot long range. It can be as difficult or as easy as we choose to make it.

Well id concede to a point on your comment.
Certainly accuracy is very important, but lets not just assume that less speed always gives better accuracy either. 100 fps isnt a big deal as that much is possible between those having big cases. That type discussion is for those who are considering a 280AI and maybe (almost) have a 7 Rem Mag without using as much powder.
Im all for that type thing, but lets not get confused into thinking we can have all the cake and still enjoy eating it because we cant.
We can only have a taste, but if thats enough for us then thats fine also.
The accuracy issue as far as long range hunting is concerned could easily be a topic in itself.
Accurate rifles are only a part of that equaision, and id argue not the only part, and certainly not the most important part.
Our camp in NC PA has been hunting whitetails by using that method exclusively for almost 50 years.
Its always been a bucks only camp for everybody including kids. Over those years at least 1/3 of the bucks taken at long range have been by young kids
or inexperienced adults never having shot long range. It can be as difficult or as easy as we choose to make it.
When combined with an accurate rifle the tech we have today basically eliminates all the guesswork. It doesn't matter how fast the round is going on impact if it misses or misses the vitals.

Well at least where and how we hunt long range, the best tech is an experienced spotter sitting behind good tripod mounted glasses. Send one over there and you've got all the visual up to date information you need first hand. Cant get more simple than that, and best part is it works very well.

I would have liked to see some Data regarding this particular Projectile the 162 Hornady ELD-X. Maximum & Minimum FPS & Twist would be a great start. The Box says 1-9.5 twist, but I'm thinking that's a very General requirement. The OP didn't state a minimum Point Blank Zero for every instance.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts