Best 7mm case for 162gn eldx

A 1:9" twist will limit you to most 180s and lighter. Even the 183 SMK will shoot well from the 1:9". I think the 195-197s that require a 1:8" are better suited to the bigger magnums. I don't think you see the benefits of the extra bullet weight and BC at reasonable hunting distances with the 7RM due to reduced velocities.

26-28" is great for the 7RM. You can go a bit lighter contour to save some weight. But still be really accurate. Mine has a 26" Bartlein #3b fluted.

I would consider 26" to be the absolute minimum barrel length, and would personally lean towards a 28 barrel.

Who's barrel are you going to use?

I would opt for a straight taper like a #7 and depending on who does your fluting, you could easily drop 1 to 1 1/2 pounds in weight.

If you are going with a 7mm Remington Magnum, then you could squeak by with a 26" barrel, but I would still go with a straight tapered design.

I have a 9" twist 26" Shilen chambered in 7mm STW that shoots the 180 Berger lights out. The 9" will work. But you just as well go 8.5 or 8 imo. That way you know you'll be stabilized for whatever bullet you decide on.

I would consider 26" to be the absolute minimum barrel length, and would personally lean towards a 28 barrel.

Who's barrel are you going to use?

I would opt for a straight taper like a #7 and depending on who does your fluting, you could easily drop 1 to 1 1/2 pounds in weight.

If you are going with a 7mm Remington Magnum, then you could squeak by with a 26" barrel, but I would still go with a straight tapered design.

No way you will lose 1.5 lbs by fluting. I have a 28" Rock Creek in Heavy Varmint taper with deep spiral flutes, and it only lost 10oz total. No way you lose 24oz.

A heavy rifle (15#) is nice to shoot, but carrying it in the mountains sucks. I have done it. A 10-12# rifle is still plenty suitable for LR hunting, and is much easier on the pack mule. Especially for 800-900 max shots on game.

If it was a .300RUM pushing a 230 Hybrid @ 3000+ for those 1200+ yard shots, a 15#+ is nice for glassing and shooting.

If you're wanting to shoot 800-1000 yards, might want to step up to a 28 Nosler.

So if I'm wanting to get out to 8-900 ( sorry for not clarifying ) yards are we all thinking 7 rem mag?
I already have a 270 wsm with a redding full length bushing die and 7 pounds of reliiader 26, does that bring the 7wsm into it ?
Will be used for fallow, red and sambar deer ( sambar are similar to elk )
I don't think all of us feel that way, but If you do and feel 300 to 350 fps dosent matter all that much thats ok with me.
The 7 RM is a fine cartridge, but then so is the 280AI, but both leave a lot compared to the larger cases.

You're doing the research and that is great. What it will come down to is what you ultimately want. The biggest 7mm on the market? A good all around? Light and packable or heavy? The 162 ELD or comparable bullet will do anything you want it to. People are killing elk and even up to buffalo with the 6.5 bullets all the time. If a 140 grain bullet is good enough I don't see what a 162 with a slightly higher b.c. going a little faster won't work? Everyone here is making valid points and giving great advice! But you will have to pick one. The bright side is this. Whatever you build, it will be yours and it will be fun! Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Okay, so, I might be able to get a 8.5 twist Krieger.
Do I go to 170-180 grain in a bigger cartridge maybe?
Chasis or stock?
Trigger? Action?

Okay, so, I might be able to get a 8.5 twist Krieger.
Do I go to 170-180 grain in a bigger cartridge maybe?
Chasis or stock?
Trigger? Action?
I think a 7rm well suited for 180s... that's what I went with. I decided against a 28 nosler, barrel life sacrifice wasn't worth it to me.
As for the rest well u just opened the proverbial can of worms on opinions.
My thoughts: chassis are heavy except the mpa hybrid and maybe a cpl others.
M40 style stocks are great hunting stocks that favour prone shooting. A5 style favour prone shooting even more and might be best route for lr specific rifle.
Manners or McMillan are top end lightweight stocks.
I have a boyds pro varmint laminate stock on my 7rm being built. I really like it.
I would stick to a 700 footprint action.
I favour my Calvin elite single stage trigger

Last edited:
I have ran 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm STW improved, 7MM UM and improved, and 7mm-300 Win Mag. In my opinion...if you want to run in the 160 to 180 range for bullets and want to keep it a practical rig with good availibility..go with the 7 Rem Mag. Get a 28" Bartlein or Kreiger. Throw it in a McMillan or Manners stock and put a Trigger Tech Diamond in it. I've used most of the Aftermarket triggers as well and I really like the function of the Trigger Tech. Next would be Jewell and then Timney. Just my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts