Best 7mm case for 162gn eldx

I'm a longtime fan of the STW, but am
sort of tired of watching my brass stash dwindle and fighting for mag room. When my remaining 3 die that's it. The 28 is a mag friendly STW, which isn't a bad place to be. It's too bad Nosler is so proud of their brass, but I guess I don't need a million of them. I'll see how mine lasts. I can't keep a barrel on a RUM so screw that. It's got the brass and mag-box going against it too.

The 7 Rem in a 3.600+ mag box is almost too easy. Smaller begs the question of why?

After tabulating the votes (not really), and running a sophisticated algorithm (made that up) I ended up with 7-300 Win. It's as easy as the Rem, mag and VLD issues disappear, brass is everywhere , dies were as easy as a bushing change in a 300 Win S series or backing out my 7 Rem a smidge. It runs in so hard behind the STW that it beats some of them. What's not to like?

Check out the thread "7BC cartridge is coming along" its a no turn neck of the 7mm-300 and peterson is going ro make his brass and there is going to be loaded ammo available.

Hey there guys, just a bit of an update for those interested.
I came across a good deal on a 28 Nosler on a Sako trg-s action with a custom 28 inch barrel and break, and picked it up.
I got a box of 175 grain accubond long range to try with adi 2225 (I think it is retumbo to my American brothers).
Any tips ?

The 175 ACLR was the bullet I really wanted to work in my Defiance/McMillan/ 1-8" 30" Frozen Fiber build. Alas; it wasn't to be. On the other hand, it does shoot 195 EOLS with RL33 although with a handful less powder than some of
the internet data I've seen. 3080 fps will have to do. It also likes 160 Accubonds in both factory and Retumbo handload form (3400 fps at 2 grains under the Nosler
book) and the 168 target bullet factory loads that I got because they were cheaper than empty brass went first into 1 hole when zeroing, then proved capable of head shooting 800 yard IPSC silhouettes.

I think you will be very happy with the 28 nosler, I'm having one built for 195 Berger, but you also would have been fine with a 7rm it's been taking big game for a long time

Last edited:
1,000 yards or less - 7mm Remington Magnum.

600 to 1,200 yards - 7mm STW.

Out to 1,500 yards - 7mm Ultra Mag.
Real world, the STW and RUM are only about 25-50 FPS apart. I'd say both would be capable to a mile (1,760) with the right bullets.

The 7mmRM is easily a 0-1000 yard rifle with 175-195 grain bullets. The new 175 Elite Hunters have me intrigued, and I am thinking about swapping to them over the 168 VLD's that I've been shooting for years. Nothing wrong with the VLD's, they shoot great and perform great, just would like the extra 7 grains of bullet weight for longer shots.

I think if I was going to do a 280 i would do more research on a 280 sherman
Yep, the .280 Sherman would get my vote over the .280 AI. And I've always been a huge fan of the .280 AI. But the added case capacity and velocity over the .280 AI is noticeable. Therefore, if I was building a long action .473" bolt face in 6.5mm, 7mm, or .30 caliber, I'd go for the Sherman cartridges all day long.

Just get a 28 nosler and don't look back. I've had 7 rum , 7 Rem and
7-08 and I would pick the 28 any day over the rest.
You will definitely notice the extra horse power over the 7 rem.
When you hit the 1000 yard steel with the 180 vldh they hit with authority over the 7 rem.
Im shooting the 180 vldh @ 3218 fps.
And the 28 brass seems to be very good and lasts a long time.
I took mine out to 1500 yards the other day. 2 shots , 2 hits on a 18 x 22" steel plate.

What do u like about the 28 over the 7 rum?
Everything... The brass is cheaper, the brass is easier to find, the case is shorter so it fits in a long action mag box with no problems, the case design is more efficient, and it will do everything the RUM does, but in a more compact and practical package.

The RUM and Nosler cartridges are both based off the .404 Jeffery parent case, the Nosler is just shortened with less wall taper, and a sharper shoulder angle. Much better case design, IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.