Best 7mm cartridge?

Recoil tolerance and bullet choice are always factors. 7 STW, or 7mm Ultra will do it all as well as 7 Rem mag for a lot of shooters abilities. Consider heavy for caliber bullets like Berger, velocity must be kept below 2800 fps @ muzzle to maintain BC value at extreme distance. Due to thin jacket if pushed faster, thicker base will try to push thru thinner front section, upsetting high BC, and decreasing accuracy.

The answer to your question is ... Inherited Hornady Hype ..... going to a 40 degree shoulder from 30 degrees DOES NOT increase velocity by 200 fps while magically doubling barrel life, Not sure how grown adult males can believe that nonsense
I've been reading on hear and there is a lot of people claiming 2950 FPS in their 6.5CM. I have a 6.5 CM with a 26" barrel and I'm only getting in the 2700 FPS range. I've even been down to a 1000 yards rang in Mingus Texas. It's called Tac Pro. There is quit a few people shooting 6.5 CM. Everyone I meet there who shoots the CM claims 2950. Good thang I have a Magneto Speed Chronograph. I let a few people use it to test their claimed FPS. Well guess what. Only 1 6.5 CM came close to the 2950 FPS. It had a 29" Bartlein 5R Barrel. It was clocked at 2920 FPS. That gentleman was claiming almost 3100 FPS cause of the 29" barrel. So then we ran our guns through a ballistics calculator. Guess what again. Nobody's dope was hitting the target. The bullets were not even making it to the 800 yard range. LoL!!!! Everyone was asking me why was I hitting the target. I said cause I'm shooting a 260 Remington w/ 140 grain Berger's, and I really am knocking on the 3000 FPS. I'm getting 2990 ish. I have a 27" Krieger barrel. I also have a Cosine indicator for the angle correction cause we are all shooting slightly down hill. Nobody was putting the angle in their ballistics calculator so it made their 6.5 CM look faster. LoL!!!!! Guess that's the difference between a hunter and a bench shooter.

Last edited:
Put rl26 in your Creed with 147 eldm and it will do 2950 no problem at all. I run mine at 2850 with 147 and h4350. I am a target shooter and the powder temp sensitivity leads me down the hodgdon extreme powders. Those speeds are through a 35p. Yes rl26 will wake up the 6.5creed for sure. But rl26 will wake up a bunch of cartridges.
Shep

I've been reading on hear and there is a lot of people claiming 2950 FPS in their 6.5CM. I have a 6.5 CM with a 26" barrel and I'm only getting in the 2700 FPS range. I've even been down to a 1000 yards rang in Mingus Texas. It's called Tac Pro. There is quit a few people shooting 6.5 CM. Everyone I meet there who shoots the CM claims 2950. Good thang I have a Magneto Speed Chronograph. I let a few people use it to test their claimed FPS. Well guess what. Only 1 6.5 CM came close to the 2950 FPS. It had a 29" Bartlein 5R Barrel. It was clocked at 2920 FPS. That gentleman was claiming almost 3100 FPS cause of the 29" barrel. So then we ran our guns through a ballistics calculator. Guess what again. Nobody's dope was hitting the target. The bullets were not even making it to the 800 yard range. LoL!!!! Everyone was asking me why was I hitting the target. I said cause I'm shooting a 260 Remington w/ 140 grain Berger's, and I really am knocking on the 3000 FPS. I'm getting 2990 ish. I have a 27" Krieger barrel. I also have a Cosine indicator for the angle correction cause we are all shooting slightly down hill. Nobody was putting the angle in their ballistics calculator so it made their 6.5 CM look faster. LoL!!!!! Guess that's the difference between a hunter and a bench shooter.
Youd crap yourself then if you saw over 3000 fps out of mine. 140 eld and rl-26. That's not where I actually run it but I made it there with no pressure. 2950 was the node I had with rl-26. Most times I'm running around 2850 fps. This is a 26in barrel.

I really like my 7-300 Win Mag with a 28" Bartlein 9 twist...Shoots 162g AMAXs under 1/2 MOA at 3200fps with H1000 out to 1400 yards. Been shooting the same combo for 5 years but will be finally trying some 180g ELDMs with H1000 and RL26 in the next few days. Will be doing a 10 shot ladder at 300 yards. Hoping for 3000fps and under 1/2 MOA. Will give about an extra 250 yards of maximum range and still be supersonic to a mile.
20200410_021734.jpg

If a certain powder enhances the performance of the crud then that powder does same to the cartridges that have had similar or better output for eternity, where is the magic of the crud ?

Never,
I have four 6.5's that have seen a boost with new powders and they absolutely defecate on the crud without the boost, not sure why standard ol 6.5 Swede performance is so gd phenomenal 100 years later

Super accurate even at 1000 yards. Light recoil. Easy to tune. Tons of good factory ammo. Easy on barrels. What's not to like?
Shep

If a certain powder enhances the performance of the crud then that powder does same to the cartridges that have had similar or better output for eternity, where is the magic of the crud ?
No one was saying that isnt true..... this other guy was just making statements that simply weren't true. If you can only get 2700 fps from a 26in creed but near 3000 from a 27in 260 then theres some serious bias going on. How in the heck did we get on this anyway?! 😂

Right it's a 7mm thread. But swamplord needs to discipline his 6.5s. The deficating on all the cruds is just dumb. Nobody said the Creed was the highest performance barrel burner made. So when your barrels are toast my Creed will dance on their grave.
Shep

I'll take a 7mm over 30 cal anyday. The only thing a 30 cal does over a 7mm is hit harder. It takes a whole lot more bullet, recoil, and cost to make a 30 cal perform ballistically all around better than a 7mm...That's why I took the 300 win mag and necked it down to 7mm. That there is the best of both worlds haha.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.