Best 7mm cartridge for Berger 195 EOL? 7-300 Norma Improved?

Tragik

There are a good number of posts discussing the "best" 7mm cartridge. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the best 7mm cartridge to shoot the biggest-for-caliber long range bullets while still being magazine-fed. Mainly the Berger 195 grain EOL , but really any 190+ grain (Sierra Matchking 197 grain , Hornady Vmax 190 grain, etc.)

I'm not too concerned with either recoil or barrel life unless the cartridge offers only a minimal increase in muzzle velocity but a more substantial increase in recoil / decrease in barrel life. My main concerns are accuracy & muzzle velocity with 190+ grain bullets. However, if I'm only getting 200+ or so fps MV but cutting the barrel life in half compared to the 7mm SS, then that's a problem. Let's assume a 30" barrel with a muzzle brake and a moderately heavy rifle. This will be a range gun primarily but depending on the hunt out here in the mountain west, it may on occasion be a hunting rifle (off a tripod) for elk & black bear. I have other rifles for light weight mountain hunts.

I currently have the 7mm Sherman short mag and have only shot a few dozen rounds but I'm already eyeing my next 7mm - not that I don't like the Sherman. In fact I love its design with a longer neck and sharp shoulders - it's highly accurate in my very limited experience with it. I've only shot 180s so not quite sure what the MV of a 195 Berger would be.

I recently saw an article about the 7-300 Norma imp and the article claimed 3,200+ fps MV with the 195s - this seems like one of the best options for what I'm looking for as I know 338 Norma is highly accurate and I'm guessing the 300 Norma is as well (and i know for the 338 is very efficient with barrel life relative to similar cartridges but obviously it's not overbored like the 7-300).

Anybody have experiences with the 7-300 Norma and can give me an idea of accuracy and barrel life? Obviously it's going to have a far lower barrel life than the 7 SS but that's my baseline to go off of. I'm guessing the 7 SS has about 2750 MV with the 195 Berger but I've never tested this.

Any other recommendations? I've heard the 28 Nosler isn't great with the 195s because the bullet needs to be seated too far in. The 7 PRC looks interesting but seems to only have the same muzzle velocity as the 7 rem mag, which is only slightly higher than the 7 SS.

Thanks!

If you're going through the trouble and expense to improve a NM I'd do a 300 NMI.
For a fast 7mm the 28 nos is perfect, you won't have any issues seating a 195 above the donut area if you send a few dummy rounds in for custom throating.
I'm assuming you'll be using a custom action, most LA customs are cut for 3.850 mag boxes which is perfect for the Nos.
Barrel life should be at least 1000 rounds with H1000

3050-3100 in a 28N with a throat and magazine long enough isn't a problem with the 195's, and I think that OAL is around 3.700" with good brass. A bit longer won't hurt and much longer won't help. Run the ballistic calculators, see if 100 fps plus for this cartridge or minus 200 for that cartridge makes a meaningful difference. Personally I wouldn't set up for the 195 specifically in a 28N class rifle, I would set up for 180 class bullets AND the 195, so far I haven't see anything I want to do with a 7mm that the 195 does enough better than the 180 to matter, other than say I'm shooting a 195.... Both the 180 class bullets and the 195 are hard to get at times, I would rather have the option to use either. If I built for one specifically I would get a barrel life of bullets on hand before the reamer touched steel.....

28 Nosler is a monster 7mm. I wouldn't want to go any bigger in terms of case capacity because you are getting into extreme overbore territory and will be limited to 50 BMG powders. I did a bunch of 28N load work with the 195 and got over 3200 fps with RL33 with case capacity to spare. Accuracy was around 3150. The 28N is all the 7mm you will ever need.

That being said, I have abandoned the 195 and now shoot the 180 Hybrid exclusively in my 28N. It is wicked accurate at 3225 using N570. I have found the 180 to be more consistent.

That being said, I have abandoned the 195 and now shoot the 180 Hybrid exclusively in my 28N. It is wicked accurate at 3225 using N570. I have found the 180 to be more consistent.
I will 1000% agree with you there, the 195s are super accurate, it's what happens post flight that caused me to abandon them for the 180 vldh