What's the best 7mm cartridge?

Ltsheets

So I've decided that the next rifle I have built will be 7mm variant. I'm leaning 28 Nosler, 7mm STW, or a good ole 7mm mag. I'm open to any and all suggestions. It will be for both steel shooting out to 1000+ yards and hunting. I just want to hear any and all opinions of the pros and cons of any 7mm cartridges you guys like. Thanks in advance.

Well I have hunted with the Remington 7 mag for 30 years and have killed a lot of stuff with it. It is very accurate at long range. Read somewhere that it's actually the best selling mangum of all. Fits a sweet spot for western big game hunting.

But, If it were not for the long range target shooting requirement, I'd say 28 Nosler, just cause I've been wanting try one. But I don't think the 28 Nosler or 7 STW would be a good choice because of the probability of shorter barrel life.

Overall as a whole, I'm saying 7mm Remington magnum. I know the bigger 7's have better ballistics but give up on barrel life and increase in recoil.

I think the 7mm rem is the best compromise in ballistics, recoil and barrel life out of what's available. That and it's a very common round so good factory ammo is easy to find.

gun)Just depends on how dead you what your critter. I like all the 7s and have 4 of them, two 7mm express, one REM mag and one STW. Might get a 28 Nosler just to plug that 30fps gap.
My heavy barrel express (econ verse) has more mileage than any of them, when I need to tow a load I reach for the Mag and when I need to get there fast I drive the STW. Fact is an man cannot have too many 7s in the safe.

Well I have hunted with the Remington 7 mag for 30 years and have killed a lot of stuff with it. It is very accurate at long range. Read somewhere that it's actually the best selling mangum of all. Fits a sweet spot for western big game hunting.

But, If it were not for the long range target shooting requirement, I'd say 28 Nosler, just cause I've been wanting try one. But I don't think the 28 Nosler or 7 STW would be a good choice because of the probability of shorter barrel life.

It won't be my primary steel shooter...I have a 6.5x284 for that.

I like the 7LRM since I have one and it is unbelievably accurate. Although one source for brass (gunwerks), they have plenty in stock. Now sorted and bagged by weight according to the folks there.

So I've decided that the next rifle I have built will be 7mm variant. I'm leaning 28 Nosler, 7mm STW, or a good ole 7mm mag. I'm open to any and all suggestions. It will be for both steel shooting out to 1000+ yards and hunting. I just want to hear any and all opinions of the pros and cons of any 7mm cartridges you guys like. Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't use it for shooting much steel, unless you like replacing barrels, but for occasionally shooting steel at +1K, and for mostly hunting, the 7mm STW is about as tried & true as you can get. I have 2 of them myself.

If majority of what you will be shooting at is inside of the 1K mark, the 7mm RemMag will be hard to beat. I have been deer hunting with one for nearly 1½ decades.

The word 'better', is so subjective.

Better how? Fastest speed? Lowest recoil? Longest barrel life? Component selection?

My ideas on the 'best' 7mm is the 280AI. Modest recoil, fair barrel life, adequate velocity and factory brass. That is 'best' for me.

A velocity minded shooter would laugh at me, yet I would laugh at him when his hummer barrel
$h!t the bed. It just depends on what you want.

Sorry. Thought it was clear when I said I'd shoot steel some with it but the rifle would be more for hunting.

Well why not state that? The better you communicate, the better tailored your answers will be. Ever think like that? Or just too much trouble for you? You are asking for people's free time and expertise to assist you. :rolleyes:

Ford, Chevy, Dodge.

I'm a huge lover of the 7mm STW but if I were starting out today I'd probably go with 28 nosler just because Nosler will be backing it for decades to come with factory ammo and brass.

The 7mm Rem is no slouch but it doesn't have the velocity of the other two.

Run the same bullet across all the platforms and see what you get for your efforts.

".......it will be used for steel shooting out past 1000 yards and hunting"...from your OP.

Well, which is it?

If you are going to shoot steel....out of your choices......7 mag. If it were me..for steel...and a magnum.....7 SAUM. Hunting.....STW(or 7-300 WBY since wby brass is easy to find).

Tod

Maybe its me, but something for pinging steel would be set up totally different than something I'd hunt with, regardless of the cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts