Best 10mm 1911 frame handgun for hunting?

I recently sold my Glock 10mm because it just didn't fit me very well. I want to get another 10mm for whitetail and hogs and put an rmr on it for 75 yards and in hunting here in Texas.

I've done some quick research online, but does anyone have any experience with a 1911 frame 10mm that they like? Here's a few models that I've read about and are considering (don't want to spend $3k+ on a setup - so no Nighthawks or high end Kimbers, Dan Wesson's etc.)

Kimber Custom TL II
Kimber KHX Custom
Springfield TRP Operator
Springfield Ronin
Remington R1 long slide

Thanks for the help!
Of the Pistols on your list, The TRP, handsdown. Have you considered a Revolver? The S&W 610's are excellent and a great platform for a redot.

Make sure you have a fully supported barrel for hot 10mm loads-- don't want no guppy belly brass

I shoot the 200gr wfn hardcast from mbw.

I use No.9 powder and get 1250fps from my xdm osp, my 6" ria ultra got 1320fps
Yeah I have the OSP also and I'm getting 1150 with a mild load of BlueDot and 200gr Rimrock HC, I do have some No 9 on my shelf that I bought for it but really am satisfied with the 1150. I could definitely go higher and I've gone to 1.5gr more than I'm currently loading but did destroy some brass and popped a couple primers, I knew I was getting close to that but I wanted to see what was going to happen. I really wish I was running those through the chrono when I was doing that.

I don't do the Glock thing, and some have historically fallen apart. Mine is CZ Dan Wesson, but I like the Sig 220. 1911 for hunting. CorBons. They go for $2K in NC USA. Excellent weapons.

I own the Remington R1 long slide and really like it. The longer sight picture is great for older eyes and the weight handles the recoil nicely. I was looking at the Springfield TRP Operator but bought the Remington due to price, it was substantially lower in price and the longer barrel/sight picture. Had to stone the slide lock slightly with 185 FP's because occasionally the slide would lock because the bullet would rub on the slide lock, but for me fixing/working my guns is a non issue. Factory 230 RN's never caused the problem. Other than that no issues or failures using both factory ammo and reloads.

Dan Wesson
My Dan tames the CorBon load nicely and has a perfect trigger, like all my CZDWs.

How about a different caliber, say a 460 Roland, I built one on an Essex Frame and Slide and it was great at 25yds and in, but I never stretched it out to see the results at 75yds and in. Clark makes and sells the kit.
It was fun to shoot, with the brake built onto the barrel the gun pushed straight back with very little muzzle rise.
If you can locate one that someone around you has see if you can go out with them to shoot it and then make up you mind.

Springfield trd
I recently sold my Glock 10mm because it just didn't fit me very well. I want to get another 10mm for whitetail and hogs and put an rmr on it for 75 yards and in hunting here in Texas.

I've done some quick research online, but does anyone have any experience with a 1911 frame 10mm that they like? Here's a few models that I've read about and are considering (don't want to spend $3k+ on a setup - so no Nighthawks or high end Kimbers, Dan Wesson's etc.)

Kimber Custom TL II
Kimber KHX Custom
Springfield TRP Operator
Springfield Ronin
Remington R1 long slide

Thanks for the help!

I forgot attach this link.

I forgot attach this link.

And here we go
train-crash.gif

How about a different caliber, say a 460 Roland, I built one on an Essex Frame and Slide and it was great at 25yds and in, but I never stretched it out to see the results at 75yds and in. Clark makes and sells the kit.
It was fun to shoot, with the brake built onto the barrel the gun pushed straight back with very little muzzle rise.
If you can locate one that someone around you has see if you can go out with them to shoot it and then make up you mind.

Best 10mm 1911 frame handgun for hunting?

Kimber Custom TL II
Kimber KHX Custom
Springfield TRP Operator
Springfield Ronin
Remington R1 long slide

Thanks for the help!
Kimber is hard to beat plus they have a number of models to choose from.

The Ruger 1911 gets my vote

Attachments

• 9A6BB2B0-6BBF-426C-A72A-C2AB34AD0AEE.jpeg
    9A6BB2B0-6BBF-426C-A72A-C2AB34AD0AEE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 54

Recent Posts