10mm as a hunting round for medium size game.........

J E Custom

I really like my 10 mm but it does have it's limitations. Years ago I went looking for a good hunting round for deer size game and went through all of the popular pistol rounds up to and including the 44 mag. nothing performed like I wanted beyond 50 yards, I never lost any game but the wound channels and the stopping power was just not there. giving up on conventional pistol rounds I switched to contender and bolt action pistols and again tried most of the rifle rounds that would work is the contender with only a few that performed like I wanted. they were the 7-30 waters, the 45/70 and the 444 marlin. the 444 marlin is a hammer but many won't shoot it because of the recoil in a 3.5 lb pistol. in the bolt action, my favorite has been the 7/08 Rem. And kills past 500 yards have been successful.

The main reason for this long winded answer is to put things into perspective when hunting with a pistol.

All pistols are range limited and the semi auto is the most range limited with revolvers next and bolt action pistol at the top because of the strength and ability to shoot rifle rounds. But based on the shooters ability even the bolt action pistols have their limit.

If I want to hunt with my 10 mm I limit my self to 50 or 60 yards and don't expect DRT every time. My 460 S&W has extended my range to 150 yards (Or more on hogs) for revolvers. And the 444 will effectively push that to 300 yards. Beyond that, I use a bolt action and have not been disappointed.

The 10 mm is an awesome pistol round, but like everything else it does have it's limitations.

Just My experiences with different pistols.

J E CUSTOM

Mike from Texas

I really like my 10 mm but it does have it's limitations. Years ago I went looking for a good hunting round for deer size game and went through all of the popular pistol rounds up to and including the 44 mag. nothing performed like I wanted beyond 50 yards, I never lost any game but the wound channels and the stopping power was just not there. giving up on conventional pistol rounds I switched to contender and bolt action pistols and again tried most of the rifle rounds that would work is the contender with only a few that performed like I wanted. they were the 7-30 waters, the 45/70 and the 444 marlin. the 444 marlin is a hammer but many won't shoot it because of the recoil in a 3.5 lb pistol. in the bolt action, my favorite has been the 7/08 Rem. And kills past 500 yards have been successful.

The main reason for this long winded answer is to put things into perspective when hunting with a pistol.

All pistols are range limited and the semi auto is the most range limited with revolvers next and bolt action pistol at the top because of the strength and ability to shoot rifle rounds. But based on the shooters ability even the bolt action pistols have their limit.

If I want to hunt with my 10 mm I limit my self to 50 or 60 yards and don't expect DRT every time. My 460 S&W has extended my range to 150 yards (Or more on hogs) for revolvers. And the 444 will effectively push that to 300 yards. Beyond that, I use a bolt action and have not been disappointed.

The 10 mm is an awesome pistol round, but like everything else it does have it's limitations.

Just My experiences with different pistols.

J E CUSTOM
I don’t think any reasonable person would expect rifle performance out of a pistol round. I’ve had some DRT hits with the 10mm but those were at bow hunting distances. Most do run but since I shoot suppressed they usually don’t run far.

Frog4aday

I've been hunting with a 10mm for several years now. I typically use a 200 grain Hornady XTP and a 220 grain hard cast from Underwood ammo.<SNIPPED STUFF>
Hey Mike,
I've read many times that the 220 grain bullets won't stabilize properly from the 10mm, but it sounds like it is working out for you. I'm guessing that might be due to the 'aftermarket' barrel you are using (vs. the factory Glock barrel.) Do you know the make and twist rate of your barrel? Thanks.

Mike from Texas

Hey Mike,
I've read many times that the 220 grain bullets won't stabilize properly from the 10mm, but it sounds like it is working out for you. I'm guessing that might be due to the 'aftermarket' barrel you are using (vs. the factory Glock barrel.) Do you know the make and twist rate of your barrel? Thanks.
The barrel is a Lone Wolf barrel. Not sure of the twist rate but the hard cast shoots great out of it. I’ve never recovered on even on the bigger hogs I’ve shot so the penetration is definitely there.

Riflehunter1776

buddy of mine shot a 180lb hog with the 10mm; distance was 30 yards. Pass through, pretty good tissue damage.

texas

I've been enjoying the 10mm since it was introduced! It can and has been used by many including Razor Dobbs, (look him up on YouTube) it not a 1gun does the job for everything! For deer and hogs it's great!

RT2506

As Dirty Harry said, "a man has to know his limitations". If you can place the bullet where it needs to go out to a certain range consistently then that is your limitation. The 10mm does have what it takes to take a deer out to 100 yards. Bullet selection will make a difference in the effectiveness of quick kills. With most conventional semi autos and revolvers you do not get high velocity rifle type kills unless you hit CNS. Slower velocity slugs kill by putting a caliber size or larger hole through vitals so animals blead to death. Sometimes they can travel a ways before this happens but at the shot they are for all intents and purposes dead on their feet. Once upon a time to feed my family for cost effectiveness I killed quite a good number of deer with an old WWII bring back 1911A1 Colt 45 ACP. 7 grs Unique pushing a 200 gr SWC cast from wheel weights. I limited my shots to a 50 yards max. Never had to shoot one twice and they usually did not run over 50 yards. That bullet would put a caliber size hole going in and coming out of the rib cage. For jacketed HP bullets Speer Gold Dot and Hornady XTP is hard to beat.

Latest Classifieds

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce