Handgun Hunting in AZ

I will be out of town tomorrow and away from contact (fishing with my son) I will call you the day after. Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the info. USO does have a really nice 1x8 with a red dot in it. That might be good for this application.

When all you need is "Minute of Deer" with shorter distances, there are a lot of options.
It is a fun journey determining what you want.

Great info, will call you tomorrow Ernie. Just got back from bowfishing with my son. We filled half a 40 gallon drum, fun time.

Yes.

IMO, if I was going to spend that amount of money I would go with a MOA Maximum in a better (higher pressure) cartridge.
Say like 260 Remington or 7mm-08, or even 308 Win.
They are short, lightweight hunting handguns, which are basically custom production specialty pistols.
Mine typically shoots 1/4 groups at 100 yards.
They have awesome adjustable triggers with easy to change out barrels.
You don't even need a go/no-go gauge.
He uses Douglas barrels primarily.
My best group with a 15" MOA Maximum at 1000 yards at a 1K match for 5 shots is 5.25"
MOA Corporation Homepage
I have several of them and they flat out work.

Wow nice stuff. Looks like about $1300 should get me out the door with muzzle brake, "0" MOA base and shipping.

If you are going to be doing any prone shooting, I would get his solid bottomed brake, not the full profile radial (Holes all the way around it).
Good that you looked at a total package: scope base and muzzle brake.
Hopefully you were looking at the picatinny/Weaver type base. Right?
My current MOA cartridges are: 6mm-284, 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5-284, and 7mm Rem Magnum Improved.
Here is a friend's MOA in action, that I used this past fall. 14" 308 Win using Hornady TAP ammo (168 grain A-Max).
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFafJpKGCMs]Sitting Shot with a 308 MOA Maximum - Doe Antelope 350 yards - YouTube[/ame]
I always give my friend a hard time about the 308 Win as a LR cartridge, so when I said I would use his MOA, he definitely had to catch me on film using a 308:D
It is a good cartridge, but it will come down to what you want, not what I use or want.

Wow nice stuff. Looks like about $1300 should get me out the door with muzzle brake, "0" MOA base and shipping.

For others potentially considering a MOA and want to get all they can get out of a MOA in 7mm:
Today, If I was to do a big 7mm all over again, I wouldn't do the 7 Rem Mag Imp.
I would go with the 7LRM.
Standard magnum bolt face, no belt, and no wildcatting or fireforming.

Mike,
You are not needing or wanting a big 7mm though, from what I can tell.
The 284 Win, 280 Rem and and 280AI are also great choices, but still more capacity than what your original desire was.

I have heard those are pretty accurate rigs, but I think they can handle cartridges like the Contender, maybe a tad stronger.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.