10mm as a hunting round for medium size game.........

@cohunt how has that RIA treated you? Those look like fantastic value given the fully-supported chambers. How has reliability been--any hiccups? And did you upgrade hammer and/or recoil springs for the hot loads?
mine is the 52000-- double stack 16rd, match bull barrel--at first, I had some feeding issues with the 200gr WFN bullets from montanna, I tweaked the feed lips and it fixed the issues .. once I started in with the reloads it was throwing brass FAR-- so I added the oversize (square edge) firing pin stop, heavy slide spring and the heavier hammer/main spring -- that helped not only with recoil but it slows the timing just a bit for slightly increased speeds and doesnt toss the brass near as far--- I then saw some primer flow around the firing pin due to a slightly oversize pin hole (similar to what you see in the rem 700) so I added the oversize firing pin (turned to a nice tight tolerance) and it lessened the flow/cratering issue --I love the gun, it's accurate and fun to shoot-- but too heavy for me to carry so I'm actually selling it with "stoner cnc g10 mil spec camo slash and burn grip panels" and a custom made leather chest holster from paradise valley leather as my OSP is lighter and I can carry it on a belt holster without dropping my pants (I have modded that one too)
20200325_154916.jpg

I've been looking hard at the double stack RIA. 16+1 of full-strength (because supported chamber) 10mm is incredible. What a great bear-country sidearm.

I realize it's not .44 Magnum energy, but it's close, and the ability to get 2-3 shots in the same time to get back on-target after the first .44 Mag recoil is worth something in trade.

the 180 xtp at 1400fps is about 780 ft pounsds, the 200wfn @ 1320 is just barely under that -- my 4" 44 mag shoots 240 gain bullets with H110 @ 1230 fps for 800 ft pounds -- so you can see that the 6" 10mm is very comparable to a 4" 44 mag --BUT give the 44 mag a longer barrel and it really shines over the 10mm, no doubt about that, and it can shoot much heavier bullets if you so desire-- but it only carries 6, my RIA carries 17 rounds and if you want, a quick mag change will get you 16 more (if you needed them and were still alive at that point I suppose) -- but the 10mm is more controllable than the 44 for me yet almost the same weight--tit for tat I suppose in my situation

now my 4 5/8" 45 colt RBH (RBH handloads only) with H110 tops those numbers by 150 ft pounds and its much lighter, but its a single action

Last edited:
mine is the 52000-- double stack 16rd, match bull barrel--at first, I had some feeding issues with the 200gr WFN bullets from montanna, I tweaked the feed lips and it fixed the issues .. once I started in with the reloads it was throwing brass FAR-- so I added the oversize (square edge) firing pin stop, heavy slide spring and the heavier hammer/main spring -- that helped not only with recoil but it slows the timing just a bit for slightly increased speeds and doesnt toss the brass near as far--- I then saw some primer flow around the firing pin due to a slightly oversize pin hole (similar to what you see in the rem 700) so I added the oversize firing pin (turned to a nice tight tolerance) and it lessened the flow/cratering issue --I love the gun, it's accurate and fun to shoot-- but too heavy for me to carry so I'm actually selling it with "stoner cnc g10 mil spec camo slash and burn grip panels" and a custom made leather chest holster from paradise valley leather as my OSP is lighter and I can carry it on a belt holster without dropping my pants (I have modded that one too)
View attachment 194265

the 180 xtp at 1400fps is about 780 ft pounsds, the 200wfn @ 1320 is just barely under that -- my 4" 44 mag shoots 240 gain bullets with H110 @ 1230 fps for 800 ft pounds -- so you can see that the 6" 10mm is very comparable to a 4" 44 mag --BUT give the 44 mag a longer barrel and it really shines over the 10mm, no doubt about that, and it can shoot much heavier bullets if you so desire-- but it only carries 6, my RIA carries 17 rounds and if you want, a quick mag change will get you 16 more (if you needed them and were still alive at that point I suppose) -- but the 10mm is more controllable than the 44 for me yet almost the same weight--tit for tat I suppose in my situation

now my 4 5/8" 45 colt RBH (RBH handloads only) with H110 tops those numbers by 150 ft pounds and its much lighter, but its a single action

That Ultra Match model is sweet. Too spendy for me though--I would be looking at the Tac Ultra model that is ~$400 less.

Do you consider the firing pin swap essential to function/safety, or is the primer catering more a "false positive pressure indicator" concern for you?

That Ultra Match model is sweet. Too spendy for me though--I would be looking at the Tac Ultra model that is ~$400 less.

Do you consider the firing pin swap essential to function/safety, or is the primer catering more a "false positive pressure indicator" concern for you?
its not a big deal on factory ammo, it starts to show once you get to the upper end on hand loads, or "factory hot loads" like buffalo bore, grizzly, Underwood, etc. the OS firing pin is not a big deal at all to fit/install--just takes some time (go slow) -- from EGW it costs $10 ---IIRC I bought the .075" and hand fit it down to .073" --but don't quote me on those numbers--I'm sure I wrote it down somewhere but just not sure where

If you look around you can find them for about 850 used.

its not a big deal on factory ammo, it starts to show once you get to the upper end on hand loads, or "factory hot loads" like buffalo bore, grizzly, Underwood, etc. the OS firing pin is not a big deal at all to fit/install--just takes some time (go slow) -- from EGW it costs $10 ---IIRC I bought the .075" and hand fit it down to .073" --but don't quote me on those numbers--I'm sure I wrote it down somewhere but just not sure where

Thanks for this info. I also have the Ultra FS HC and plan to run it hot so this is good to know.

Is the firing pin a standard 1911 firing pin?

I used to carry a Glock 20 on the ranch in Texas. Shot a few hogs with it at close range. For me, it was the only thing that seems to drop them in their tracks. They just seem to give up and lay down

Very nice. Put you an RMR on it and you'll be shocked at the accuracy.

FYSA, on my first range time, I barely missed the bullseye with 3 shots at 20 yards. Did a rapid-fire with 3 15-rounders and it was a dead pie plate. 😇 Packed it and called it good. I am very impressed with it does far. RMR or similar sight is still a work in progress.

Also, I got a slightly longer threaded barrel and brake, refer to my original post.

Thankfully today there are more choices of full power 10mm ammo available for hunting as well as personal protection. Razor Dobbs (watch on Youtube) uses a 10mm to take large game like Cape Buffalo and Elk as well as smaller game like deer and hogs so you can have some confidence carrying that 10 for hunting or protection but as with any cartridge there are limitations.
Cor-Bons and the like do make a difference.

I've been hunting with a 10mm for several years now. I typically use a 200 grain Hornady XTP and a 220 grain hard cast from Underwood ammo.

I've shot a few whitetail and several hogs with these and the whitetail usually gown within 20 yards regardless of the bullet used, some of the bigger hogs ran a little further. I've not taken a shot over about 60 yards but I'm confident it will kill effectively at 100 yards. I'm just not confident in my abilities at that distance yet. I have a Glock 20 long slide that I put together with a 6.5' barrel.
Where did you get your long slide at for your G20? I've thinking about something similar with mine

Tyler Freel writes for Outdoor Life - hunts Alaska. They have switched to Glock 10mm as side arms. They make modest changes in grip and trigger guard.
Reason FBI gave up on them is the Females could not shoot them well.

I have a G20SF Gen 3 that I would have no problem jumping Whitetails and small Mountain Blacktail with, it is a short-range round, but... within its range, it's quite lethal... The first thing you have to do is put some racing tires on it... new supported barrel "KKM" would be my choice and number one upgrade, and so on. If you're a hand loader it's another plus in the power game. Good Luck... Cheers

G20 Gen 3  10 mm 018 - Copy.JPG
G20 Gen 3  10 mm 014 - Copy.JPG