Berger VLD for Elk? Any thoughts?

TheShootist

I haven't used the VLD for anything other than target shooting. I hear it's supposed to be a decent hunting bullet as well, but I'm a born skeptic. What's the concensus out there?

Yup, same here. 210 vld took the one in my signature. Not to mention many many other animals. They work for me and I am still loading them.

Jeff

I have seen their video's and the kill shots are stunning. I am just interested in hearing from unbiased sources before I "pull the trigger" so to speak. Any non believers out there? Does anyone have any load data for a Wthby .30-.378?

Does anyone have any load data for a Wthby .30-.378?

yup, Thats an Accumark 30-378 laying on the very dead Elk.:D

Fed 215 GM primer
98 gr. H-1000
210 Berger VLD
Seated @ 3.800" AOL. (make sure these will feed in your mag box they will in both of mine)
Muzzle Vel. in a 26" 1/10 twist 3050 fps , in a 30" 3120 fps.

I have shot this load to 1000 yards with great success. also, I have taken that elk, a nice 4x4 muley, 2 axis bucks, an aoudad Ram, a Black Buck, and a 1/2 dozen whitetails with this load. No tracking required. Nothing has ever ran off.

"Magnus" on this forum took his Muley this year at 974 yards. 210 Berger from a 300 Win Mag. Never took a step.

Jeff

They are some of the best shooting bullets made but they are marginal at best for big game hunting & I know I have seen more game animals taken with them then most.

They are some of the best shooting bullets made but they are marginal at best for big game hunting & I know I have seen more game animals taken with them then most.

Could you explain in more detail? It is hard not to be attracted to a bullet that shoots so well and has a reputation for good terminal performance.

Thanks,

Steve

Yes please explain. I have shot a lot of animals with 4 different calibers with the bergers. Short range long range they have all flopped over and died.

in my eyes berger is one of the best shooting bullets out there and thats what it's all about putting the bullet where it needs to go. i've used berger for years and love them. i got lucky last year and they printed a pic of me and one of my bucks i shot in there bullet ad. i will be glad to see the 338 come out. i wouldn't think twice about shooting a elk with them.

I haven't used the VLD for anything other than target shooting. I hear it's supposed to be a decent hunting bullet as well, but I'm a born skeptic. What's the concensus out there?

Took this buck with some break-in loads that just happened to shoot about .3. Rifle is a Sako 308 with an Obermeyer bbl. 210 VLD over IMR4064 with Lapua brass and 210M primers. If you wonder if they may blow up at close range, in this instance, the answer is no. I shot him at 50 yards. I shoot left handed but he came up from my left. I had to pull the trigger right handed with my BAD right eye. Missed the shoulder by 1/2" if observing the hair over the front, high point of shoulder. Bullet exited behind offside shoulder and he did run about 30 yards. It was 11 degrees that morning and the blood trail was better than most left from an arrow and good broadhead. I'm so confident with the VLD I'm taking 150s in my 270 for wolf in 2 weeks.

2008KY6.jpg

You're the skeptic I'm looking for but you don't just toss a grenade without a reason. Please provide details to support your assertion? I ask so that I might learn something.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.