Berger VLD for Marmots

COBrad

Anyone tried these bullets on long range whistle-pigs? I would like to use the same bullet for marmots and elk. For marmots I am currently shooting the 135 gr. SMK's from my .270 and have had good success out to 749 yards. My goal this year is to break the half-mile mark with this rifle and the 150 gr Bergers have the highest BC I can find. Just not sure if they will expand enough on varmints for quick kills.

Only one way to find out:)

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that they will make a quick kill on rock chucks.

Are they still going fast enough at 880 though is the real question. I bet Berger can tell you the minimum velocity needed if you give them a call.

I'll bet if they are going slow enough they probably will be tumbling and I'm sure they would be devastating on those whistle pigs. You'd probably get the infamous red mist. gun)

joseph

Have not shot any whistlepigs with them
I did shoot several rock chucks with the 7mm 168 gr bergers lasr year
very disipointing killed 99% where just straight pass through with little explosion
this year Ill be using the 120 gr vmax should work much better
Retiredcpo

I've shot a BUNCH of ground hogs with the heavier caliber , 168 7mm, 115 25-06 , and with the 80 g .224 Bergers. The larger calibers seem to do fine even out past 1000 yards . The 80g 224 at mv of 3400 works well at less than 400 yards and over 900 but I seemed to get a lot of pass throughs at the in between yardages. I use the Hornaday 75 A-max in the same gun (22-243) and get good expansion out to 800, it has about the same BC so I don't have to change turrets.

I too shoot my 270 win on rock chucks. I have shot the 130 vlds only got a pass though at 427yd. I switched to hornady 150 sst and they do the trick on deer and rock chuck. Farthest is 600yd it really gave him wings to fly.

150 sst have a bc of .525 and your not really losing anything in drop and windage over the berger bc of .531 plus they are cheaper in price and still shoot great.

Berger states the the bullet will penetrate 1-3" before expanding making it hard to have them open on the average rock chuck given their size.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.