Berger VLD

Walleye Steve

I'm planning to shoot the Berger VLD in my new 6.5/284 Norma and in mine and my daughters .270wsm's. I am told that the vld wants to be tucked up fairly close to lands. Preliminary loads fir 6.5 at.30/1000 off seem to be the ticket right now but these were very furst loads Ive built. Does 30/1000 off sound right? I checked some factory loads and they were averaging 50-60 off lands

I also used the Berger method as mentioned and ended up at .020 with 87gr vld's. Shoots tiny groups with SD's and ES below 10.

Does this apply to the Elite Hunter as well? The article says VLD bullets. Are they similar enough in shape ? Happy New Year, by the way.

I have never found a Berger that would not shoot .040 off or less. I do not do their seating depth recommendation. I do powder charge with them seated at the lands. I find my powder charge. I load it -.010, -.020, -.030, -.040. I find the one it likes best then load +.005 and -.005. In every case I have found a load under .5 moa. If in the case that did not work I would move to their suggestion before I switched bullets or powder. Contrary to what they say I have found the Hybrids to be just as sensitive to seating depth as vlds.

.30 is what this new gun of mine likes. Next I'm going to try them in my .270wsm and see what it likes. My buddies 6.5/300 likes .20off. Can't speak to the hybrids

I had two chambers cut with the same reamer using the same bullets same barrel makes and each preferred a different seating depth. You have to test if accuracy matters.

I have found VLDs can vary with the seating depth a particular rifle likes. While most seem to prefer .020" to .060" jump, I have had rifles shoot them best anywhere from jammed to .180" jump. Sometimes, magazine length determines seating depth vs. actual jump length.

They shot excellent in my 257wby set at saami length...not sure the amount of jump but it would be a lot

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts