berger vld

ronnie1972

i have a 7stw with a 1and 9 twist and am wondering if the 168vld would work they call for a 1 and 10 twist, but the 180vld call for a 1 and 9 twist so would i be better off trying the 180?
does anybody have any loads with these bullets and this caliber

1:9 twist will work well for both the 168 and 180 grain VLDs. My 280 is a 1:9 and it shoots the 168s just fine. Sorry I personally don't have any STW load data for you, but check here 284_6 it's a reliable source.

the 168s shoot so good out of my 9 twist i have not tried the 180s. the 180s shot fine out of my laredo 9 .25 twist . it did not have a brake and the kick was uncomfortable witht the 180s.

im useing RL22 in my stw. Also H1000 works well as well as the ones mentioned above. If you send Berger an email they will give you the load Data for the STW with different powders. That ought to get you started

im useing RL22 in my stw. Also H1000 works well as well as the ones mentioned above. If you send Berger an email they will give you the load Data for the STW with different powders. That ought to get you started

Although you should always start low and move your way up in terms of the amount of powder, remember that Berger employs lawyers and they like to limit Berger's liability. This means their 'max' load will probably be much lower than what you will find elsewhere. This has been my experience with Berger load data.

Although you should always start low and move your way up in terms of the amount of powder, remember that Berger employs lawyers and they like to limit Berger's liability. This means their 'max' load will probably be much lower than what you will find elsewhere. This has been my experience with Berger load data.

This is true but there data will at least get you started

I shoot a 7stw and love the 180 berger, never even tried the 168's. Mine is also a 9 twist. I have had best luck with retumbo. My gun is throated for the 180 berger, and get a little more powder than most traditional throated guns. I am at 76grns of retumbo with a fed 215m primer. My buddys gun maxes out at 75 grains. For the 168's I have no idea where you will end up. If you try the 180's start at 72grns, and start watching for ANY pressure signs.

Hope this helps.

Joel

the 168 VLD specifies a 1 in 10" twist (at least) and your twist is actually FASTER than what you need (yours is 1 in 9"). You should be good for either...

Now me I have a 7mm Ultra Mag with 1 in 10" twist and I'm wondering if I can stabilize the 180 VLD. Anyone wanna give me the length on one so I can use a ballistic calculator ? Berger says no though, so I guess it's 168 for me...

I shoot a 7stw and love the 180 berger, never even tried the 168's. Mine is also a 9 twist. I have had best luck with retumbo. My gun is throated for the 180 berger, and get a little more powder than most traditional throated guns. I am at 76grns of retumbo with a fed 215m primer. My buddys gun maxes out at 75 grains. For the 168's I have no idea where you will end up. If you try the 180's start at 72grns, and start watching for ANY pressure signs.

Hope this helps.

Joel
what velocity are you getting with this load gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.