Berger HUNTING Bullets

No, I'm sorry but when a bullet is properly placed and fails to perform as intended and advertised it's absolutely not the fault of the shooter.

We pay a premium price for premium bullets and they should perform as advertised.

I don't care what brand/type of bullet you use sometimes they will fail as will anything made by human hands or human engineering.

Well said.

No, I'm sorry but when a bullet is properly placed and fails to perform as intended and advertised it's absolutely not the fault of the shooter.

We pay a premium price for premium bullets and they should perform as advertised.

I don't care what brand/type of bullet you use sometimes they will fail as will anything made by human hands or human engineering.

If we're going to be consistent in applying this kind of thought would it no be right to also post a similar response to the Accubond or ALR threads going where there saying you need to put it on bone to work, or a TTSX thread saying the same or there is surprise that a bullet even opened because of a behind the shoulder hit. It seems we only apply this to certain bullets, lets apply it across the board.
I've pushed an Accubond beyond the range it opens up nice and hit deer soft and had the bullet only open well by hitting the ground, is that a failure of the bullet, as much as my pride wants to say the bullet failed it did not, I failed the bullet!!

They're supposed to expand most of the time, no?
please look over on long range only website and look up Ryan Averys thread on the 1775 yard moose he killed. Report back what you find on the bullet performance. It changed my way of thinking.

Last edited:
Thanks to the OP for this post. Last year I was looking to switch from the 160 grain Speer Grand Slam to a different bullet in the 7mm Rem Mag. I read a bunch and decided on the 168 Berger. At the time of the switch I somehow missed the negative posts and information about Berger but since then have read quite a bit of negative Berger stuff. Just yesterday I decided to switch to the 160 grain Accubond and finding your post today just confirmed my decision. I spend to much money and time hunting to worry about my bullet performance and the bad Berger press would make me worry.

Not to change the subject but a buddy shoots Barnes TTSX bullets, I have been on 5 elk kills with him and saw some of the same things posted here about the Bergers and am not impressed with Barnes at all. No exit or small exit, very little internal damage, never any blood trail and animals trying to get up that were shot solid.

please look over on long range only website and look up Ryan Averys thread on the 1775 yard moose he killed. Report back what you find on the bullet performance. It changed my way of thinking.

Have you read this Thread? Or the multiple others that report on Berger bullet performance that doesn't match your belief system? Here's one I posted in 2010. I've already reported what I found - good or bad.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f92/alaskan-dall-sheep-210-berger-vld-60791/

I would love somebody experience on the amax or the accubond lr. My experience on the ablr was not very good so I went back to berger. Now I am just wondering if there is any data available on those. I have heard nothing but great on the amax this year. Especially in the 300 win with the 208's. I am not trying to detrour this thread I will start another one if someone thinks there is enough info out there.

I would love somebody experience on the amax or the accubond lr. My experience on the ablr was not very good so I went back to berger. Now I am just wondering if there is any data available on those. I have heard nothing but great on the amax this year. Especially in the 300 win with the 208's. I am not trying to detrour this thread I will start another one if someone thinks there is enough info out there.

My brother shoots A-max in his 6.5, he crushed a bull the other day, one round behind the shoulder with exit through of shoulder at 300 yards. The lungs were completely violated as well as the heart, the entrance was much larger than the exit, they just open to fast for me and cause to much blood shot for my taste though they kill from what I've seen.

I posted this on anoI am not so sure I should weigh in here, but I am compelled to.

I am always a little shocked when I hear people complain that an animal went 100 yards after a good lung shot. Bullets are not lightning bolts that make things dead just because they touched them. It has always been my expectation to have to track a shot animal after the shot. Regardless of the bullet used. Make the shot, don't assume anything, wait for bit to make sure the animal is dead before heading out for recovery. Give it ten minutes or so. Every one thinks DRT is the standard for a bullet impact. This only happens if you hit the central nervous system. When you blow up the heart or lungs of an animal they have roughly 5 to 10 seconds to live. How far do you think a game animal can run in 5 seconds at full speed? I have found animals that other people shot with perfect lung shots. They didn't bother looking for the animal because it did not fall on the shot. There is no such thing as knock down power. This is a lie created by Hollywood. It is not possible to knock an animal or any other target off its feet with a bullet.

Some times bullet holes do not bleed much. Bullets crush the flesh that they impact. Smashed flesh does not bleed like cut flesh. A responsible hunter learns to track with out a giant blood trail. If the trail goes dead then use a different technique. Grid the area north and south then east and west and find it. Sometimes you darn near step on the animal before you see it.

I will not say that giant holes blown in an animal is a bad thing, but it is not what I prefer. That is for each hunter to decide. None of the bullets are magic.

I am not throwing stones at anyone. I have had more than my share of things go wrong hunting. Mistakes happen. Bullets do fail. Strange things happen on impact sometimes. It is a great thing that we have many choices of bullet.

Animal lungs are not like human lungs. They do not collapse when a hole is poked in it. They still function on the undamaged part of the lung. The animal has to run out of blood before it dies. If only one lung is hit it could take quite a bit of time for a large animal to run out of blood. Remember the flesh is crushed not cut like a broad head from an arrow. Sometimes it takes longer for a bullet to kill than an arrow. It is just how it works.

Just remember that a man can run 100 yards in 10 seconds. How far do you think an elk can run in that time? DRT is not the norm, it is a bonus when it happens.

Thanks for your time guys,

Steve

I love the people that line up to complain about being tricked into using _____ bullet then hopping on the internet to bash them relentlessly because how it Worked.

No one is making you shoot anything.
No one is promising the bullet will kill everything instantly in all calibers from any distance with any shot placement.

Pick a bullet. Shoot it enough to understand it. Apply it to your advantage.
If it doesnt work the way you want or desire, QUIT SHOOTING IT!

When you find that purple unicorn bullet that does everything perfect all the time with flawless quality control, post here about it so i can call Bull ****!

I love the people that line up to complain about being tricked into using _____ bullet then hopping on the internet to bash them relentlessly because how it Worked.

No one is making you shoot anything.
No one is promising the bullet will kill everything instantly in all calibers from any distance with any shot placement.

Pick a bullet. Shoot it enough to understand it. Apply it to your advantage.
If it doesnt work the way you want or desire, QUIT SHOOTING IT!

When you find that purple unicorn bullet that does everything perfect all the time with flawless quality control, post here about it so i can call Bull ****!

Agreed. It seems these days people confuse the term " I recommend" with "I guarantee it will work 100% of the time and never let you down", and then they **** & moan about it when it fails. They seem to forget that man-made products all have the potential for failure, no matter how well-made or precision they are. That's why manufacturers offer warranties that expire. lightbulb

I think this is great because people have been bullied into believing that what happened to them didn't actually happen that way. And that they actually failed the bullet. And for whatever reason the berger bullet is the one that is most stood up for. I could not care about all the kills and how someone believes this is bs. But there are valid points here to educate someone interested in berger bullets. But also out of all this will provide information to make a product even better. I agree it should be discussed with all the bullets. But seems berger has had the corner on the market to what a guy needs for long range.

I could not care about all the kills and how someone believes this is bs.

You can't not care though, the data from guys who have excellent function shot after shot is just as valid as the guy who has a fail, both have equal learning opportunities. That is the WHOLE reason I want to see pics, I have a pile of pics from perfect function to the point of boredom but as of now only one single documented event that can be learned from.

Maybe the key is looking at the guys who have never had a failure, how are they doing it when some guys have multiple failures on the same animal?

I've seen near perfect function from Berger's so if I'm helping someone load them I also give shot placement recommendations and what exact bullet weight to use, I also won't just recommend a bullet I have not used.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.