Berger 156 EOL 6.5 fail?

Those are failures and they're on Berger 100%.
The consumer should not have to modify the bullet to get it to work. If Berger says it's a hunting bullet they should make the tips accordingly. I have seen more 156 failures than good performances. They seem to have a very narrow velocity window. They're worse at close range, worse at long range compared to a regular 140 orange box
It's not modifying to check the tips anymore than it is to check the tips on tipped bullet, I check the tips on all my hunting bullets in some way, I've found the plastic tips loose or MIA. Some very expensive lathe turned monos with tips I found some would be loose.

Has ANY one in this thread who had consistent issues with the 156 reached out to Berger and got involved in trouble shooting the issue if there is one? I know when shooting them in Beta testing they were awesome but have not shot any production bullets.
I've had bullets that flat sucked but was able to work with the manufacturer and with feed back they made a awesome bullet but if those of use who put them on game in real life situation don't take the next steps how can you expect anything to change.

Found this against the front shoulder on my Bull. 618yards. Lost my confidence in this bullet now.

Attachments

• IMG_1143.jpeg
    IMG_1143.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1144.jpeg
    IMG_1144.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1145.jpeg
    IMG_1145.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 84
2927 at muzzle. 6.5 prc
Curious on twist? Contrary to BC these otm types have a very hard nose and prefer instability to start upset. It is why in gel tests you see the wound cavity start more deeply than closer shots.

Lou

That is certainly not extra twist for this bullet. They just get more stable as they go down range.

I know a fellow at our range that shoots a 300 ultramag and swears by Bergers even tho he lost a tremendous bull a few years ago. The hit at 650 yds was perfect behind the shoulder as witnessed by his guide thru a spotting scope. He had 6 or 7 one shot kills prior to losing this bull.

I hope the 153.3 LRHT is more consistent….? Mine start out around 2990.
To hell with all this drama, might have to go back to tried and true.?

well, no good news after 3 hours definitely means something. Ive shot a few doe from 140-220yds with plenty expansion and good penetration. But these are 80-125lb deer.
Now for a good buck hopefully.

Last edited:
Found this against the front shoulder on my Bull. 618yards. Lost my confidence in this bullet now.
Gday j walks
Nothing worse than that feeling
It dosent happen all the time but definitely happens
One needs to be aware of these things & if one persists with that bullet
Watching animal reactions & back on target asap is one I'd recommend if possible as sometimes that's not even possible & why I choose other bullet options these days

Don't know what your parameters are for bullet selection but just do your homework on the potential issues that x brand will show see where those fit into your personal parameters & you'll keep Murphy @ arms length longer

Jm2cw
Cheers

I started checking each bullet intended to hunt with a 0.038" wire drill and found a few that had some material inside the meplat or had jacket material that had migrated into the hollow cavity and obstructed the lead core.

Is this the standard size across the board for Berger tips, regardless of caliber?

I know it's on this forum, but I can't find the specific thread regarding opening the tips. I have several thousand Berger bullets, EOL, VLD-H and Elite Hunter and I really don't want to experience a failure, especially if a kiddo is going to be using my rifle.

Thanks