Berger 156 EOL 6.5 fail?

Do your research boys, I do my own.
Not aiming to discourage one from using a particular bullet, & not promoting specific bullet
Manufacturers. Just encouraging people to
Know and learn bullet performance design & limitations & use what works best for YOU.

YMMV.
What a cop- out

I MIGHT try some 150 ABLR in place of the 153.5 LRHT.
Looking for less than .5moa consistently.
And 3000mv.
Anybody been down this road?

I MIGHT try some 150 ABLR in place of the 153.5 LRHT.
Looking for less than .5moa consistently.
And 3000mv.
Anybody been down this road?
Matt Whaley built me a rifle that shoots everything great. Had the typical problem in my other rifles of ABLR having a flyer but this rifle shot them tiny. Shot a buck this year with them and they had Berger like destruction with an exit wound. Seems like most the issues are with high speed magnums and close shots but all my rifles are short barrels with suppressors.

I am not convinced the hp on bergers really do anything. I think they behave like any other otm/fmj and once go unstable the tip either bends and breaks off or collapses then bullet comes apart. If this does not cause bulelt to rupture then it tumbles and comes apart. If does not come apart get the banana shape. I think this is why Berger keeps their jackets thin on hunting bullets - to make sure they come apart. Also why Bergers penetrate a few inches before coming apart. Watch the barbour creek videos where they shoot at different ranges. You clearly see a much longer neck on the long shots where bullet is more stable. This is consistent with a yaw dependent bullet and not one that relies on hollow point

The difference between Berger and something like an ELDM is that hard nose on the berger will penetrate a ways even through bone before the instability/rupture so a surface/shallow blow up is less likely but a failure to rupture is more likely. Again - pros and cons to all the designs.

Lou

Recent Posts